X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• discs to be different...

So, with all of this discussion about wizards and challengers and blah blah blah, it got me interested.

How often do you choose discs or did you choose disc so you would be different than what everyone else threw?

I know I did. When I bought my first putter it was a rhyno, because everybody else putted with aviars.

Then I had to try every alternative to roc that I could get my hands on.

Finally, whenever I meet a kid who is just getting ready to bust into advanced and pro and really make a showing 9 times out of 10 the best advice I can give them is to pick up a TeeBird, because they are trying to throw straight shots with a Destroyer or an Xcal or something that is way too low speed overstable.

What do you think am I wierd or do you do this too?

I like putting with my Rhyro. It fits just right in my hand. Seems like everyone is putting with an aviar. I like the gummier discs. It's cool that we have so many choices.
    "Operator! Give me the number for 911! " - Homer S.

Comment

I throw what is the best discs for me and I couldn't care less what other people throw.
      Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

I did the opposite I threw what people told me to throw, for the most part. I would seek out players that were better than me and ask what they threw or what I should throw for a certain shot. The common answers back then were teebirds, rocs, valks... I threw a super soft magnet for a while even though people gave mecrap for throwing discrap but the magnet was working, until I was given a JK and I was converted very quickly.
        Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

I used to be like that. I threw Panthers, putted with Panthers, and Cheetah's instead of Leopards. But now I just throw what everyone else does I guess, I threw a lot of discs and the ones I throw now just work for me.
          www.soulpancake.com
          www.bahai.org
          http://s979.photobucket.com/albums/ae274/aarikc17/

Comment

I threw what my buddies put in my hands since I didn't buy any of my own till I'd played a couple of months.

They were all throwing Wraiths, Starfires, Beasts, etc... None of them actually seemed to fit what I threw like so I stopped listening and started researching. Which started leading me to different companies, different plastics.

Then I figured out my magical weight (171 for drivers, 174 for mids and 173-175 for putters.) All my other buddies were and still are throwing max weight even though it's not right for them (well most of them).

I choose my discs based on a criteria of three things;

1.) How much use will I actually get from this disc? Am I going to use it multiple times on a course or is it going to be like my FLX Drone, which only gets pulled out every great once in awhile.
            2.) How the disc feels in hand. Grip and rim depth are super important to me since my pinkie on my right hand was so badly broken it's practically useless.
            3.) Reviews from pros and ams alike.

With all this said, I don't care if I throw discs that are completely different from anyone. I don't care either if everybody owns one (Buzzz, S.S. Avenger etc...) If it works then it gets a permanent spot. If it doesn't it goes to my loaner pile (40 strong and growing).
            "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
            Cleveland Brown

Comment

I dunno about disc selection but often I choose a much different route to the basket. I often try to throw a much different route than the normal one for a hole. I like to watch how other players throw a hole then I look for a totally different route. Finding a risky window then going for it is fun and watching others reaction is fun too. There isn't always alternate routes but often there are you just have to find them. This approach usually works better on tight wooded courses rather than wide open ones. I also find that I often use a disc others wouldn't dare throw, typically throwing something extremely overstable with anhyzer and trying to bend it in the wind like a bad kite.

Comment

I was guilty of throwing a couple discs to be different.
                1. Champion Monster - It seemed like everybody had a firebird and I could do everything with the monster that ppl did with Firebirds. now I need both.
                2. DX Goblin - one of the first discs I bought. I could make it fly straight and didnt griplock it too often.

I scared the Goblin off but the Monster still lives under my bed

The one thing about my bag I've noticed is that I carry more molds than most.
                Distance - Destroyer, Xcal, star Boss, Orc, Wraith, Starfire
                Fairway - Teebird, Eagle, Banshee, Firebird, Monster, roadrunner, beast
                mids - superRoc, dx roc, z-buzz, cryztal buzz, z-wasp, spider, gator, panther

there is only a couple that get used sparingly:
                roadrunner - doesn't come out unless im in a tight spot, or get a crazy idea like a sky roller.
                spider - windy putter and anny "s" putts
                -Devin Cordell #38801

Comment

Cajun... have you met Andrew Rich yet?

Comment

Originally posted by DexterHawk View Post
                    Cajun... have you met Andrew Rich yet?
                    The name sounds familiar but likely I have not. He must throw in the manner I described. Is he an OR or WA disc golfer?

Comment

Back when I started throwing Discraft I used to get some flack and I won't deny, some of the crap probably just cemented my love of the West coast disc underdog, but for the most part I throw molds that are used by a wide swath of players rather then some of the rarer Discraft molds. I will also state that I find that generally newer players will gravitate to simply trying out new discs all of the time seeking out one that will magically alter their game. I got a lot more consistency out of picking a small collection of molds and working through variations in weight and plastics to achieve different flight patterns. The only disc I throw that I would say falls well outside the norm is my beloved Z Extreme, no longer produced, it's the most overstable disc I've ever thrown and while it's lost much of its use for me I still pull it out for spike hyzers and odd-angle skip shots.
                      PDGA: #32726 rating: 930 StumptownDG: #31, Trojan Nation: Tag# 06
                      dgcoursereview.com profile: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=376

Comment

14349 Pro Andrew Rich OR USA

Awesome player, sick forehand -- cool cat from what I know of him.
                        Aaron Holley is another guy who chooses 'fun' alternate routes during casual play alot... and he likes to throw his putters 350'. I like to golf with players who mix it up.

I've always thrown a mixed bag, but never to be different-- just to find what worked for me. My friend Kye had me throwing Rattlers, Apx Swirls(now Wizards), Mrvs, and CE Valks. I now carry a few super overstable discs that alot of players don't throw... CE Viper and Gator, CFR champ MAX. I would put a 10m brick (great kneeling disc) back in my bag for Lake Stevens if I still had one.

General Scales, I have the broken pinkie on the throwing hand (L) issue as well. I broke it and dislocated it while playing softball two summers ago, and I really had to adjust my grip. I have struggled trying to fan grip at all, and my mid range game has suffered as a result... lower profile mids feel much better to me now, and I'm trying out some of discraft's newer low-pro mids.
                        Last edited by Toby Puttzinski; December 14th, 2009, 11:01 PM.
                        Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

Comment

Innova's Cobra is a great low profile mid... flies a little like a beat roc...

And yes Mr. Rich is a disc golfer explorer, both in casual and competitive play...

Comment

"I have the broken pinkie on the throwing hand (L) issue as well. I broke it and dislocated it while playing softball two summers ago, and I really had to adjust my grip. I have struggled trying to fan grip at all, and my mid range game has suffered as a result... lower profile mids feel much better to me now, and I'm trying out some of discraft's newer low-pro mids."

Yeah, it's a pain when your pinkies don't work. It's not a fan grip issue for me though, its a power grip issue. My pinkie bends in a such an extreme rate that it's pretty much folded under my middle finger. Not the most desired of situations. I pretty much have to fold my finger back out to the outside while I'm gripping so I get a good snap.

With that said, I started throwing Venoms (the L.E. Esp version, the Pro D is garbage). Really helped my flick out since the rim is SUPER shallow. Also happens to be the greatest overhand disc ever. Almost like a Flick in the 150 class.
                            "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                            Cleveland Brown

Comment

Originally posted by sillybizz View Post
                              I throw what is the best discs for me and I couldn't care less what other people throw.
                              AMEN to that!!!
                              According to Mazza I have a sissy arm

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X