X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Disc Golfing Jacket

I am on the market for a new coat/jacket to keep me warm on these Team Disc Golf outings.
    It was FREEZING at Horning's
    I'd like one with a liner and shell so it's warm and waterproof
    A good deal is nice, but willing to make an investment in quality.
    Any suggestions?
    Proud member #20 of STUMPTOWN Disc Golf and the PDGA #30488
    Damn The Weak Side!!!!!!

Start looking at REI... I got my northface windwall for like 40 percent off at one of REI's January sales... Best thing ever... Columbia at woodburn outlet mall might be a good place to look...

Comment

and as alot of people saw me wear those long sleeve biker sleeves on my arms this year. Those sleeves were the best, kept my arms warm all year in cold and hot weather, barely had any injury scares or soreness... those are a good investment for the pair, about $30 a pair... not like the basketball players wear, more thick and warmer...

Comment

If it's too cold to go out wearing a fleece vest over a sweatshirt, it's too damn cold to golf.
        Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Tonight it's too damned cold, period!
          The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
          ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

www.steepandcheap.com

Comment

I think tech vests and under armor is the way to go... less restrictive.

Comment

I agree with Adam and DexterHawk. I have a pretty nice Arcteryx jacket that's by no means big & bulky, but it's still enough to mess with my game. Keeping your head and core warm are the biggest factors, and a vest/long sleeve shirt or baselayer and beanie do fine for me in most circumstances. If it gets really cold (like in the 20's or lower), I have a thin fleece pullover type thing I'll throw on under the vest, but I rarely need to pull it out.
                Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

For warmth there is no substitute for layers. For movement, there is a northwest ball golf company called ZERO restrictions golf wear. I've had their jackets, loose in the shoulders and designed for our type of motion. Most are water proof (resistant). Expensive, but well worth the money.
                  A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

I'll keep my eyes open at the thrift stores.

Not a good DG jacket, but great for being outside today is the Eddie Bauer, very rugged, goose down, monster jacket I got for $8. It was in near-new condition. It's will be hard to wear it out. I only can wear it for two or three weeks a year, but I'm sure glad I got it.
                    The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                    ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

I have been wearing a Columbia Titanium shell. The material flexes and doesn't restrict me at all when I play. I didn't know when I picked it out but it is supposed to be waterproof as well. It kept me warm at Hornings although a vest underneath would have been the bees knees. My suggestion is to try to find someone to hook you up with a pass to the employee store but be careful, I spent $180 when I went. Of course that got me the jacket, a rain coat, a pair of shoes, a few shirts, a few pairs of socks...

I have never been too impressed with the outlet stores prices.

Comment

I buy almost everything in thrift stores. You won't find what you want in the first one you come to, but after 5 or so you will have some very nice stuff. I have found lots of North face and other real climate gear at thrift stores. And it's $20 instead of $250.

Comment

I like my UnderArmor hoodie. I never have problems with mobility and the hoodie is roomy enough to layer underneath. It also does fairly well in wet weather. I played every single day in every type of weather from last December through March and I swear by that piece of equipment.
                          About $80.00 with the Humboldt logo!
                          Another great piece of get warm gear is my Mountain Hard Wear Monkey Fur jacket. I got mine on the sale rack at REI for about the same price. It is the warmest piece of clothing I own. I have used it for skiing with my Arcteryx Gore-Tex shell. The problem with the monkey fur is that it is just TOO warm! I often have to remove it midway through the skiing day! One drawback: it has no hood. Another drawback, it is not as forgiving mobility wise as the hoodie.
                          "I love it when a plan comes together" -John 'Hannibal' Smith

Comment

I love my soft shell fleeces. Cheap (can be) and tough. My disc golf softshell is 4 years old now and looks great. I have plowed through so many blackberry bushes (yes, I mean through) with that jacket on and it is not even snagged!! 40 bucks!! EBAY is a sweet place for almost new soft shells, just do your homework and know what brand you are looking for. Marmot, Patagonia, North Face, Arcterryx, Mountain Hardware, Outdoor Research- if you can score a real soft shell (look at the pictures or know the model, not every seller knows WTF a soft shell is) from one of these companies for less than 75 bucks (in good condition) is an incredible score. Plus all top tier companies have unconditional return policies. Yep, buy it on Ebay and return for new. Factory seconds and previous returns don't work (my sister worked at Patagonia for a few years- my unused snowboard pants are 400 dollar technical mountain climbing pants- 10 bucks!!! Man, I love my sister).
                            A good soft shell will let you layer underneath (thin wool sweaters rule) and provides a windproof (after 4 years!) and water resistant (new soft shell= northwest mist-proof for 4 to 8 hours, my soft shell= not so much). Plus they are stretchy- no resistance to your throw.

Sierra Trading Post has Red Ledge basic soft shells for 30-40 bucks right now and ebay has a bunch just in XL.

Stay warm, stay dry, get your winter game ON!!!
                            What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?

Comment

I wish I could play confidently in layers, I played the Chili challenge this last weekend in a t-shirt and shorts and I won't deny it was DARN cold. Good thing I had 5 hand warmers to keep the most important appendages warm and toasty.
                              PDGA: #32726 rating: 930 StumptownDG: #31, Trojan Nation: Tag# 06
                              dgcoursereview.com profile: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=376

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X