Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap baskets-- M-14 vs Instep (Pacific Outdoors)

I am going to buy a few cheap baskets for the back yard, and I'm leaning toward the Pacific Outdoors Disc Golf Goal for $80.16, with free shipping through amazon.com.

I haven't found the M-14 for any less than $110 or so-- and from what I've gathered, it is fairly comparable to the more affordable Instep/PO basket.

I realize that neither of these baskets are super sturdy, and both could use some added chains. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations, or knows of a better deal somewhere.
    Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

Not too sure about the pacific basket, I would probably lean towards the M-14 and add a row of chains on the inside like I did, been nothing but awesome for me since I added chains on the inside.
    That's just me...

Comment

i know i can not vouch every1 Else's experience with them, but my M-14 is a 1st run it is close to 9 years old and the only thing i had done to it was to grind down the outside nubs as they would slice and dice on dx plastic......

I never had a weld break and it did travel some in its younger years a couple of tournies and out to TDG events back when the rules were a little more relaxed in regards to tee pads....

It has some rust on it now, but it's still intact and catching plastic......
      "In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

I bought a used M-14, now 2 years ago and it's been great, another set of chains would be nice, but they're not necessary. It's definitely a better basket than the Instep, worth the price difference, I haven't used the Pacific Outdoors basket, but I'll put my support down for the M-14.
        PDGA: #32726 rating: 930 StumptownDG: #31, Trojan Nation: Tag# 06
        dgcoursereview.com profile: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=376

Comment

yea as far as the xtra chains i figure if i can make putts on those chains i should have no problem on a standard basket

Comment

My instep is over a year old and is fine. I would say the construction of the M-14 is probaly better. I do get alot of spit outs but if your goal is to focus on hitting dead center chains then who cares if it spits out.
            The chains seem to be softer then others so as a result its not as loud. I added a towel in the middle and the thing is real quiet. I don't feel bad about putting late at night as a result.
            WORK LESS THROW MORE
            http://www.grippt.com

Comment

Originally posted by sk8architecture View Post
              My instep is over a year old and is fine. I would say the construction of the M-14 is probaly better. I do get alot of spit outs but if your goal is to focus on hitting dead center chains then who cares if it spits out.
              The chains seem to be softer then others so as a result its not as loud. I added a towel in the middle and the thing is real quiet. I don't feel bad about putting late at night as a result.

that is exactly what i did also in an old Apt. i had a 35' long hallway from the front door to the back door it was perfect for putting and adding the towels made it super quiet as to not wake up the newborn baby...

Comment

Using the M-14's at Fircrest for putting practice, my putters looked like I'd been putting at a cheese grater.
                Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Originally posted by NWDiscer View Post
                  the only thing i had done to it was to grind down the outside nubs as they would slice and dice on dx plastic......

Comment

yeah, I saw that, just adding my experience with them. Not everyone has a grinder handy either. I couldn't be sure, but I think some of the chunks coming off the discs were also from the s-hooks on the "ring" of chains at the bottom.
                    Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                      yeah, I saw that, just adding my experience with them. Not everyone has a grinder handy either. I couldn't be sure, but I think some of the chunks coming off the discs were also from the s-hooks on the "ring" of chains at the bottom.

you know i never really thought about the S hooks doing damage but inspecting some of my practice putters i think you are correct.

Comment

I've had an instep for a couple of years and it's just fine for a practice basket. It has held up very nicely. It does need some additional chains, though. I haven't gotten around to adding them to mine - I know if I can sink a putt in that thing it will stick anywhere.

Comment

I don't understand the compulsion to add chains to a practice basket. If you hit it dead-center and it doesn't stick, so what? You know you hit it.
                          Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                            I don't understand the compulsion to add chains to a practice basket. If you hit it dead-center and it doesn't stick, so what? You know you hit it.
                            I can somewhat agree with that... your job is to hit the chains in full, the rest is up to the golf gods. However, I have not added the extra row to my Innova practice basket and when the put I need to hit my 20th in row (or 10th, or 50th, or whatever practice game I have set up) looks beautiful going in, only to continue all way through and out the other side...well, I call it pain. Plus as many have said before me, anything you can do in practice to mimic authentic playing conditions is generally beneficial.

Comment

Hmmm... I have 14 putters with my M-14 and none of them have chunks coming off, just the basic wear and tear from hundreds of putts on the lower end plastic maybe... As for adding a row inside, it really adds to the mental part of the game, spit outs dont raise your confidence and you still left wondering if it would have stuck in a real basket. I got 25 feet of that thin wire and a bunch of cheap light chain from homedepot, added 6-7 rows on the very inside like the 3rd set on m-3 or whatever and been the best thing i did to my game ever... maybe we should add pictures of modified baskets somewhere on here?

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X