Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those guys up top, what's in your bag???

We've seen quite a few guys making a name for themselves this year etc like Dion, Nate, Chandler etc etc... I wonder, with all these new discs popping out like chicken eggs from each disc supplier recently, what's in your bag now as compared to a year ago? What discs were relied on at USDGC and Pro Worlds etc? Anyone can answer, but hoping those over 985 will all chime in on this, just curious....

A year ago I was throwing mostly just xcaliburs for drives with an occasional teerex or wraith. Nowadays, Im throwing bosses for big turnover S distance, xcaliburs for stable long drives, Teerexs for rollers and Teebirds/Firebirds/Eagles for fairway drives. I am also using Star Whippet Xs now, the most stable disc in golf in my opinion. It gave me many birdies at the USDGC. My midrange/putters have remained the same, except for the new addition of the R-Pro Dart, which I didnt use once at the USDGC. Nate Sexton and Dave Feldberg are the ones who basically changed my game through telling me what to throw. But yeah, my bag has changed quite a bit since last year.
    Team Innova
    Team LSDiscs
    Team Stimpi
    Team Challenge
    Team Oly
    Team Fry
    2009 USDGC Washington State Representative
    PDGA #25541

Comment

I'm still throwing a lot of aviars, gator and Firebirds (I also carry a FL). I'm loving the Boss max distance and lovin' the Echo Destroyers. I think the Eagle is one of the most under rated fairway drivers, but it's pretty stable. At the USDGC I also threw a lot of xcals for long forehands which is something new that I'm fooling around with. Oh and the KC that I started putting with last year is beating into a pretty studly around the circle putter...

Just put a Pro Boss in the bag and if it doesn't beat in too quick is sure looking like a canidate for a lot of play.

Also fooling around with the Mako... seems to fly like an Innova answer to the Buzzz, but it has a good smooth feel.

Comment

I have had the same molds in my bag for a few years now.
        3 KC aviars
        1 star aero
        3 KC rocs
        1 champ whippet
        1 Roadrunner
        1 DX teerex
        2 CE leopards
        1 champ teebird
        1 champ glow tbird
        1 star FL
        1 champ firebird
        1 champ orc
        1 star destroyer
        1 star wraith
        1 star teerex
        1 champ wraith
        1 star boss

I have the boss but don't throw it too often, actually thinking about taking it out. Nothing too new in my bag other than that.
        Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

What was in my USDGC bag:

I used this bag at USDGC this year:

an old dx Aviar for jump-putts and a dx flat-top Aviar for putting
          a stable big bead Aviar for windy upshots,
          a flippy and a couple stable flat-top Rocs,
          a super flippy Star Roadrunner for rollers,
          a flippy DX and Champ Beast for rollers,
          a clear, old school, KC Teebird for reliable straight shots,
          an Eagle X for reliable hyzers,
          a couple domey Champ Destroyers for big drives
          a stable and a super stable Star Excalibur for hyzers and flex-shots,
          a CE Firebird for reliable hyzers when my Eagle X stopped listening to me and a super stable Champ Firebird for short hyzers and forehand shots

It was a blast playing w/fast speed discs this time around as the last time I played was the 2002 USDGC when the very same KC Teebird I used this year was my fastest disc.
          -Coury Coates

Comment

I carry 20 discs:

D-Line P2 for push/jump putting inside 40ft.
            DX Aviar for spin putts 40-100ft.
            R-Pro Dart for upshots and drives between 100 and 220ft
            KC Roc, SB Roc, Champ Glow Roc for all sorts of midrange shots 200-300
            2 Champ Glow Firebirds for forehands, one is just a backup
            2 Champ Eagle-X, one seasoned, one still crispy, placement and wind 200-375
            2 Teebird, one is star and stable, the other is KC/Champion and straight
            2 Champ Orcs, one old, one new, forehands anywhere and everywhere
            2 Star Boss, one seasoned for max-D and one freaky stable
            1 Star Destroyer, stability in between my bosses, use is similar
            1 Star Xcal, headwinds and hyzers too large for eagles
            1 Star Sidewinder, big turns, rollers, upshots that need to skip
            1 "The Demon Disc", getting out of jams
            Innova Champion Discs
            Discmania
            huk lab
            Keen Footwear
            Grip EQ Disc Golf Bags
            Stimpi Ridge Disc Golf in Spokane, WA
            Play it Again Sports Corvallis and Eugene

Comment

Well, since I'm clearly up top, I'll generously take time out of my day to post my bag for you.

5 stiff S Wizards, two 170g for all putting and short approaching, two 175g for driving out to 275', and one 150g for utility.
              4 DX Rocs, 177-180g in various stages of wear for 95% of midrange shots 200-350'.
              1 Champ Gator 175g for sidearm and drop-out-of-sky overstable mid shots out to 250'.
              2 DX Eagle-Xs, 172g+, one new for reliable hyzers and one worn for working lines and versatility
              3 Z and ESP Predators 167-175g for hyzers, anny S shots, spike hyzers, thumbers, and utility.
              2 Star Valkyries, 172 and 175g. One new for hyzer-flips that finish left, and one used for uphill shots and hyzer-flips that finish straight or right.
              1 SOLF 1.2 171g for driving workhorse duty. Most standard lines out to 390'. Does it all, accurately.
              2 Destroyers, 170g. One Champ worn for distance use, one Star freak overstable for distance anny S shots and long hyzers.
              We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

I used the Force and the Predator more than any other disc this year. Winthrop played into my strengths of big hyzers both back hand and side arm. In fact, I didn't throw more than two holes with a turnover shot (considerably more challenging given that placement is so important) off of the tee. Just big hyzers, about 60% sidearm and 40% backhand off the tee. Discs that I used the most at USDGC are in bold print.

Here is whats in the bag:

Pro D Ringer - Main putter and approach disc within 100 ft.
                Pro D Ringer - back up of number 1

ESP Meteor - understable midrange approach or short roller.
                ESP Buzzz - strait midrange shots from 250 - 300 ft.
                ESP Impact - strait midrange shots and fairway drives 275 - 325 ft. similar to a buzzz with a bit more range.
                ESP Nebula - stable midrange shots and tee shots in the 300 - 350 range. similar to a slower tracker (eagle for the innova fan).
                ESP Zone - over stable approach in the 200 ft range or windy rounds.

Z Reaper - strait/stable tee shots both side arm and back hand. very versatile driver, 250 - 375.
                Z Tracker - first run, fairly beat, same purpose as the Reaper.
                Z XS - understable tee shots both side arm and back hand. controllable rollers in the 400 ft range.
                Avenger SS - understable driver for turnovers and rollers.
                Z Predator - domey, slightly beat at this point, perfect for long strait shots that are guarenteed to fade hard. Good up to 450 ft.
                ESP Predator - also domey, pure hyzers up to 400 ft or big flex shots for distance.
                ESP Predator - new, stable, stable, stable.

Z Surge - beat, very fast and understable, great for long turnovers and distance rollers.
                ESP Pulse - beat, used for long strait side arms and forehand rollers.
                ESP Pulse - new, very stable, used for long drives and low cielings.
                Z Force - Best driver on the market, distnace and predictability. Sidearm and backhand shots alike, very fast and stable.
                Z Force - back up
                ESP Force - freakishly domey and stable. Nicknamed 465'...

20 discs in all, thats about all my bag can hold.
                Team DISCRAFT
                NW Sign Up
                Gorilla Boy
                Paragon Disc Golf
                Odwalla

Comment

Originally posted by RonTheWhip View Post
                  I used the Force and the Predator more than any other disc this year. Winthrop played into my strengths of big hyzers both back hand and side arm. In fact, I didn't throw more than two holes with a turnover shot (considerably more challenging given that placement is so important) off of the tee. Just big hyzers, about 60% sidearm and 40% backhand off the tee. Discs that I used the most at USDGC are in bold print.

Here is whats in the bag:

Pro D Ringer - Main putter and approach disc within 100 ft.
                  Pro D Ringer - back up of number 1

ESP Meteor - understable midrange approach or short roller.
                  ESP Buzzz - strait midrange shots from 250 - 300 ft.
                  ESP Impact - strait midrange shots and fairway drives 275 - 325 ft. similar to a buzzz with a bit more range.
                  ESP Nebula - stable midrange shots and tee shots in the 300 - 350 range. similar to a slower tracker (eagle for the innova fan).
                  ESP Zone - over stable approach in the 200 ft range or windy rounds.

Z Reaper - strait/stable tee shots both side arm and back hand. very versatile driver, 250 - 375.
                  Z Tracker - first run, fairly beat, same purpose as the Reaper.
                  Z XS - understable tee shots both side arm and back hand. controllable rollers in the 400 ft range.
                  Avenger SS - understable driver for turnovers and rollers.
                  Z Predator - domey, slightly beat at this point, perfect for long strait shots that are guarenteed to fade hard. Good up to 450 ft.
                  ESP Predator - also domey, pure hyzers up to 400 ft or big flex shots for distance.
                  ESP Predator - new, stable, stable, stable.

Z Surge - beat, very fast and understable, great for long turnovers and distance rollers.
                  ESP Pulse - beat, used for long strait side arms and forehand rollers.
                  ESP Pulse - new, very stable, used for long drives and low cielings.
                  Z Force - Best driver on the market, distnace and predictability. Sidearm and backhand shots alike, very fast and stable.
                  Z Force - back up
                  ESP Force - freakishly domey and stable. Nicknamed 465'...

20 discs in all, thats about all my bag can hold.

Your bag is the one I was looking forward to the most as I throw mainly Discraft at this point.
                  Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

no stalker or z extreme? heh...

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
                      no stalker or z extreme? heh...
                      The Stalker is starting to grow on me, I have thrown it around a few times at Willamette and liked it. It just doesn't fit in the bag...

The Z Extreme is so wildly stable (about thrice the stability of a Whippet Chandler throws...) its unusable in most situations, fun to throw though.

So, who can tell me the main difference between the discs in the bag a "top pro" uses, and the discs the rest of us mere mortals throw?
                      Team DISCRAFT
                      NW Sign Up
                      Gorilla Boy
                      Paragon Disc Golf
                      Odwalla

Comment

Originally posted by RonTheWhip View Post
                        The Stalker is starting to grow on me, I have thrown it around a few times at Willamette and liked it. It just doesn't fit in the bag...

The Z Extreme is so wildly stable (about thrice the stability of a Whippet Chandler throws...) its unusable in most situations, fun to throw though.

So, who can tell me the main difference between the discs in the bag a "top pro" uses, and the discs the rest of us mere mortals throw?
                        (Pssssst Dion - you're a top pro now.....don't let on that you know)

Comment

They carry more slow discs and generally throw more stable plastic... as they have the power to bend stable (if not over-stable) discs to their will.

Oh yeah and their disc go farther and into the basket more!

Comment

Originally posted by DexterHawk View Post
                            They carry more slow discs and generally throw more stable plastic... as they have the power to bend stable (if not over-stable) discs to their will.

Oh yeah and their disc go farther and into the basket more!
                            hmmm, partially true. any other guesses?
                            Team DISCRAFT
                            NW Sign Up
                            Gorilla Boy
                            Paragon Disc Golf
                            Odwalla

Comment

My guess is that they know how to throw their discs - throwing the same bag of discs as Sexton isn't going to make you a superstar (but it might help your game a little)

Its the thrower, not the disc
                              'Weekend 4 Women':
                              Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
                              Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X