X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discraft Stalker

I just picked up my first Discraft Stalker from Next Adventure and it is money! I heard about this new fairway driver a while ago, but didn't have much reason to give one a try -- that is until I got my new issue of Disc Golfer in the mail. There's an advertisement in the first few pages that describes the stalker as a longer flying Buzzz. Anyone who plays a lot of disc golf with me knows that I'm constantly playing holes that are just in between Buzz distance and something else like a Teebird. The problem with stepping up to a fairway driver is that they usually have a more "dynamic" flightpath than a midrange, meaning that they turn more and fade more. That ultimately equals out to center, but doesn't allow you to clear tighter tunnel shots.

I went out into the field to throw it for the first time and learned that Discraft did not lie. To my eye, it flies exactly like a Buzzz but faster. You can throw it hard and it won't flip over, but it doesn't want to fade like crazy either. It just goes where you point it. It'll take me a bit of time to get totally used to it, but I highly recommend picking one up.

And next week we get Elite Z Glo Stalkers and Buzzz's!!! I'm buying two or three each!!!
    Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Originally posted by blang11 View Post
      I just picked up my first Discraft Stalker from Next Adventure and it is money! I heard about this new fairway driver a while ago, but didn't have much reason to give one a try -- that is until I got my new issue of Disc Golfer in the mail. There's an advertisement in the first few pages that describes the stalker as a longer flying Buzzz. Anyone who plays a lot of disc golf with me knows that I'm constantly playing holes that are just in between Buzz distance and something else like a Teebird. The problem with stepping up to a fairway driver is that they usually have a more "dynamic" flightpath than a midrange, meaning that they turn more and fade more. That ultimately equals out to center, but doesn't allow you to clear tighter tunnel shots.

I went out into the field to throw it for the first time and learned that Discraft did not lie. To my eye, it flies exactly like a Buzzz but faster. You can throw it hard and it won't flip over, but it doesn't want to fade like crazy either. It just goes where you point it. It'll take me a bit of time to get totally used to it, but I highly recommend picking one up.
      Yes, I also tried some out (after having about 10 of 'em lying around my garage) the other day. I was very happy with their flight and distance capabilities.

D
      Team DISCRAFT
      NW Sign Up
      Gorilla Boy
      Paragon Disc Golf
      Odwalla

Comment

Hey D, got any 168s in a blue laying around the garage? I'll trade you the heavier one I have?
        educate your thinking

Comment

Originally posted by JMan View Post
          Hey D, got any 168s in a blue laying around the garage? I'll trade you the heavier one I have?
          Sorry, only max weight...
          Team DISCRAFT
          NW Sign Up
          Gorilla Boy
          Paragon Disc Golf
          Odwalla

Comment

Does anyone know why they seem to only make them in 168 and heavier? I'm a relatively new player and have gotten better results with drivers around 165 or lighter.

Based on what I had heard I tried a 169 and it instantly became my favorite disc. I still would prefer a lighter version but 169 was the lowest I could find. Unfortunately I managed to grip lock it right over a fence and lost it.

I was at Pier yesterday and the guy had what was labeled as a 170 ESP stalker with a custom graphic from the 2009 world championship in Kansas City so I decided to pick it up.

Does anyone know anything about this disc in the ESP plastic? How does the flight compare to the Z?

Edit:
            Last edited by Turkey Sandwich; October 2nd, 2009, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Stalker vs Leopard

I bought a 175g Stalker from Dion. I also recently bought a 175g Champion Leopard to replace one that I lost at Trojan during RCO. Both have been sitting in my basement until this morning. I went to Orchard Park to see how the discs compared. I throw RHBH and don't have a lot of power. What I found is that the Stalker is very straight and slightly longer than the Leopard. The Leopard is slightly more understable. I was impressed how the Stalker really heald its line, very much like a Buzzz, but longer - as advertised.

My $0.02.

Comment

Originally posted by Turkey Sandwich View Post
                Does anyone know why they seem to only make them in 168 and heavier? I'm a relatively new player and have gotten better results with drivers around 165 or lighter.

Based on what I had heard I tried a 169 and it instantly became my favorite disc. I still would prefer a lighter version but 169 was the lowest I could find. Unfortunately I managed to grip lock it right over a fence and lost it.

I was at Pier yesterday and the guy had what was labeled as a 170 ESP stalker with a custom graphic from the 2009 world championship in Kansas City so I decided to pick it up.

Does anyone know anything about this disc in the ESP plastic? How does the flight compare to the Z?
                Discgolfcenter has four at 167 https://www.discgolfcenter.com/main_...?p=500&PPQT2=9

I have been throwing a 169 Z for a couple weeks now and while it had too much fade to begin with, that was taken care of with a few(or more than a few) solid tree hits. I can get a nice straight flight with it now without trying to overpower it. It will turn if you give it angle or go straight if thrown flat, kinda like a Buzzz! I would love to try out an ESP Stalker but didn't know they existed. The Z is gonna get pretty slick in the wintertime.

Comment

Originally posted by Turkey Sandwich View Post
                  Welcome to the world of disc golf marketing. Discs in the 160g-165g range can be pretty hard to find -- but for beginners and those without big arms, they're a much better choice.

Looks like www.PrimeDiscs.com has a handful of "164-166" yellow Z Stalkers. I'm tempted... but there's nothing else I need right now that would put me over $30 for the free shipping.
                  Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by jevon View Post
                    Discgolfcenter has four at 167 https://www.discgolfcenter.com/main_...?p=500&PPQT2=9

I have been throwing a 169 Z for a couple weeks now and while it had too much fade to begin with, that was taken care of with a few(or more than a few) solid tree hits. I can get a nice straight flight with it now without trying to overpower it. It will turn if you give it angle or go straight if thrown flat, kinda like a Buzzz! I would love to try out an ESP Stalker but didn't know they existed. The Z is gonna get pretty slick in the wintertime.
                    Thanks. I picked up two of the 167s so hopefully those will last me a while. I'll throw the 170 ESP a few times next time I go out to get a feel for it, but I'll probably stick with the 167s until I have some more power behind my throw.

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                    Welcome to the world of disc golf marketing. Discs in the 160g-165g range can be pretty hard to find -- but for beginners and those without big arms, they're a much better choice.

Looks like www.PrimeDiscs.com has a handful of "164-166" yellow Z Stalkers. I'm tempted... but there's nothing else I need right now that would put me over $30 for the free shipping.
                    Damn. I saw your post a few minutes too late after ordering some 167s. I looked around last week after I lost my 169 and couldn't find anything online lighter so these must be relatively new. Oh well.

Comment

I got 2 stalkers from Dion, one is a first run which is up on the wall, and the other was a 174... omg this thing is money, back hand or sidearm, it is exactly as advertised, only i wish instead of the "extra long distance driver" printed on the disc, they would say "Extra long buzzz driver" or something heh... I've had plenty of park jobs from this baby... I wonder how the ESP is different from the Z...

Comment

Dammit, my discwhorishness got the better of me and I ordered a yellow one from Prime Discs anyway.
                        Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                          Dammit, my discwhorishness got the better of me and I ordered a yellow one from Prime Discs anyway.
                          You should have ordered three lightweights and sold two and got off without the shipping charge.
                          The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                          ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
                            You should have ordered three lightweights and sold two and got off wotout the shipping charge.
                            That's a lot of hassle for $3.
                            Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Just a thought. It was worth mentioning it before. Never mind. If I wasn't so far off, I would have asked you to get me one.
                              The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                              ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X