X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What disc/plastic for rollers?

I've been working on adding a roller to my arsenal of drives and not had much luck. That was untill today. At Timber this morning I had some success rolling my beat in Elite-X XL with fairly consistent results.
    I've been thinking about it throughout the day that brought up the following questions; Is there a plastic, Discraft or otherwise, that is best suited for rollers? And, like a Roc or Buzzz is to midrange shots, is there a hands down go-to disc for rollers?

I don't know for plastic wise, but for rollers you can't go wrong with a Roadrunner, you don't really even need to try and roll it, you just throw it like normal and it turns, especially a lighter or beat up one.
    Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Originally posted by sillybizz View Post
      I don't know for plastic wise, but for rollers you can't go wrong with a Roadrunner, you don't really even need to try and roll it, you just throw it like normal and it turns, especially a lighter or beat up one.
      Yup I agree with the roadrunner, but I also have really good success with my sidewinder too.

Cindy
      Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
      2013 Chick Flick co-TD
      Stumptown #176
      PDGA #37716

Comment

Originally posted by hyzer_sosa View Post
        I've been working on adding a roller to my arsenal of drives and not had much luck. That was untill today. At Timber this morning I had some success rolling my beat in Elite-X XL with fairly consistent results.
        I've been thinking about it throughout the day that brought up the following questions; Is there a plastic, Discraft or otherwise, that is best suited for rollers? And, like a Roc or Buzzz is to midrange shots, is there a hands down go-to disc for rollers?
        The harder plastics will roll better. I love my Z-XL for my very rare roller. Plastics such as FLX, Pro D, DX are bad for rolling.
        A par is not a bogey.

Comment

Originally posted by hyzer_sosa View Post
          I love the Elite-X XL for short rollers, but if you need more length I would try Sidewinders/Roadrunners and for even more than that you'll need something really overstable, but beat up enough that you can flip it.
          "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Rollers are great. Just about every game I play there is at least one shot that is going to work best with a roller. I'm better at thumber or tomahawk style rollers than backhand. I'm not using a roller for max distance usually. For overhand distance throws you want something overstable at low speeds. I like the champ Boss for max distance tomahawks or thumbers. If it's an overhand finesse shot then I'm going for the Condor (and no, it's not OOP, you just gotta know where to find them). The large O.D. and 200 gram weight really help to make that big old controllable garbage can lid of a disc roll thru the grass! On roller discs I always prefer the max weight discs. For backhand rollers I like the X plastic Xpress for best distance and the Eclipse for more finesse.

Comment

I really like beat up dx leopards for a roller
              According to Mazza I have a sissy arm

Comment

I usually use a Star Teerex or a KC Aviar (the rolling distance record holder!) for long range and a roadrunner for shorter more controllable rollers or sky rollers.

If you are just learning, I'd suggest the stingray (or Stiff big bead Aviar) as a great learning disc for the roller. Good control and distance for both discs although I find the Aviar will hold a line much longer.
                'Weekend 4 Women':
                Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
                Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

Comment

I snap a champion monarch over for my rollers. I can throw cut rollers and sky rollers with it equally well

Comment

Originally posted by cefire View Post
                    I usually use a Star Teerex or a KC Aviar (the rolling distance record holder!) for long range and a roadrunner for shorter more controllable rollers or sky rollers.

If you are just learning, I'd suggest the stingray (or Stiff big bead Aviar) as a great learning disc for the roller. Good control and distance for both discs although I find the Aviar will hold a line much longer.
                    Star Teerex was a disc I didn't have much luck with. Maybe I'll give it another try.

Great feedback. Thanks everyone!

Comment

in my experience, you can roll nearly everything. find a nice flat to flippy disc and work on hitting the right angle on the ground.
                      May the wind be in your favor...

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Zaius View Post
                        in my experience, you can roll nearly everything. find a nice flat to flippy disc and work on hitting the right angle on the ground.
                        I completely agree. My first roller was a Z-XS. Now that I no longer carry that disc, except on occasion, I just roll with my TeeBirds. Beat DX or Champion, doesn't matter for distance, just need slightly different angles when hitting the ground. I'll be working in a proto Pro TeeBird this winter and I'm curious how it will roll. I've also had success with a Pro Wraith for longer rollers. I haven't had success with a Sidewinder for rolling but haven't given it many chances...

Oh, and read this: throwing rollers
                        Last edited by jevon; September 17th, 2009, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Anytime somebody asks me which disc to throw, I always say the same thing....VALKYRIE! It really is IMO the "most" versatile disc. Brand new Star Valks for helix distance drives. I throw super beat Star Valks for rollers. I release with lots of hyzer and snap it over. Even when I first started golfing, my first and most effective roller disc was a 150g Valkyrie.
                          A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

Originally posted by olydiscgolf View Post
                            Anytime somebody asks me which disc to throw, I always say the same thing....VALKYRIE! It really is IMO the "most" versatile disc. Brand new Star Valks for helix distance drives. I throw super beat Star Valks for rollers. I release with lots of hyzer and snap it over. Even when I first started golfing, my first and most effective roller disc was a 150g Valkyrie.
                            That's true I have seen many guys with 150 Valkyrie's throwing rollers to success.
                            Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

i use a Avenger SS for my mid distance rollers and a beat in rogue for my long distance rollers.

for information purposes, ken climo uses his tee birds and wraiths for his rollers and he can deffinately roll!
                              Team HOSER:dancing:
                              Team OLY:cheerleader:
                              Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X