X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fairway driver for sidearm

So I have been working on my sidearm and I am finally getting somewhere with it. I feel most comfortable with an orc but it goes too far sometimes (a problem I am happy to have). I need a disc that is reliable as a sidearm disc but isnt going to fly too far. I try to release flat and let the disc work instead of forcing it over. I am leaning toward an eagle but am open to suggestions. Thanks.
    Click here

Challenge disc golf

I am glad to see this thread...I am starting to realize that I really need a decent sidearm shot...just because sometimes you've got stuff in your way to throw backhand...I've got a wicked sidearm putt and for short chip shots can do fairly well with my super beat xd, but am not sure how to get any distance or consistency for a drive...I'll take any tips...from what disc, to form, to whatever (and keep in mind all you big arm guys, I'm a lady so I'll probably need to throw something different than you...sigh...any ladies have any advice?).
    peace threw disc golf,
    emmarose
    "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
    Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

As you already know I have been working on my sidearm and I'm starting to get decent results and I have tried a bunch of different discs and for fairways drivers I have used a Banshee with pretty good success. It's going to handle the extra spin a little better than an Eagle I think, hopefully this helps somewhat as you have helped me so much I would love to give back anyway I can.
      Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Although I have not thrown it myself, From what I've read and seen the Firebird is an awesome sidearm disc. I have however thrown the TeeBird sidearm with great success.
        Throw What You Know.
        "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
        PDGA# 45989

Comment

The Firebird is as overstable as they come. If the reason you're throwing sidearm is because you have a sharp right turn ahead of you, then yes, the FB will work -- but be aware that it's going to start hooking right as soon as it leaves your hand.
          Oregon disc golf map

Comment

in my case any time i need to throw a sidearm drive. i tend to reach for my Z xl and put a little bit of annhyzer. it'll fly nice and flat and once it reaches the apex. it'll turn back with little fade and tends not to go to much farther once it hits the ground

Comment

The firebird is too much for what I am looking for. I want to work the discand not force it to helix. I have tried it and the teebird also. The teebird is a little less stable than I would. I put an FL in the bag to see if it fits, if not I have a banshee that I will try and as soon as I can I am going to pick up an eagle. Thanks for the thoughts.
              Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

Discraft Stalker is a boss sidearm.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9SSP...eature=related

Comment

Biggest thing two things I can think of for sidearm. Throw from the hip, and learn to throw sidearm with an overstable disc to start. An overstable disc is much more forgiving because you will turn your wrist over as you learn to throw sidearm, making the disc leave your hand on an anny line. Think smooth also, the smoother you throw the more distance you are going to get as you begin to get more comfortable and begin to put more arm speed and body rotation into your throw. Also for tee shots, practice standing still, don't worry about a run up until you can control a standing tee shot. However this is just my .02 and other people may have varying opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by REDFIVE View Post
                    fairway driver for sidearm
                    I really need to learn how to read
                    Throw What You Know.
                    "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
                    PDGA# 45989

Comment

I recommend a mid 160's Discraft Surge. I prefer the FLX plastic. It won't go too far but still is nice and stable with a good dive at the tail end.
                      According to Mazza I have a sissy arm

Comment

For a side arm:
                        Mid approach I use a z Zone (putt/approach)
                        drive I use Ork, surge, t-bird, flick, starfire, warth
                        big D- Distoryer

I can long snap the distoryer over 400 but the zone is great for the 200 foot holes that you need to side arm.

Hippy007

Comment

Originally posted by Will of Doom View Post
                          I recommend a mid 160's Discraft Surge. I prefer the FLX plastic. It won't go too far but still is nice and stable with a good dive at the tail end.
                          The Surge is going to have the problem that he discussed earlier with the Orc, going too far. With the same throw the Surge is going to get more distance than the Orc.

Comment

Guys, first off Chris doesn't throw Discraft discs so that narrows it down which leads to Second he most likely has left over discs not being thrown that are Innova so he doesn't have to buy a brand new disc and they are most likely broke in. Third who ever earlier in this thread was trying to explain how to throw a sidearm, Chris was parking 400 foot holes when you were in diapers, that is all.
                            Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Originally posted by REDFIVE View Post
                              So I have been working on my sidearm and I am finally getting somewhere with it. I feel most comfortable with an orc but it goes too far sometimes (a problem I am happy to have). I need a disc that is reliable as a sidearm disc but isnt going to fly too far. I try to release flat and let the disc work instead of forcing it over. I am leaning toward an eagle but am open to suggestions. Thanks.

Have you considered the Gazelle? I've heard it may be OOP but it seems they are still available. I think the Eagle is a good choice but I think you may find that it goes too far to be a great fairway driver.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X