X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best discs for women to throw?

hey so i am trying to get my girlfriend into disc golf, and i was wondering what molds and weights are the best for beginners and women/players who dont have big arms...
    I know that technique plays a huge part in getting accuracy and distance, but i was wondering about disc selection for her....
    If it helps, she usually throws about 150ft with my 168 sidewinder, she can get it to flip and then usually fades back a little bit at the end.

so if anyone has any advice onto weather i should get her to throw a:
    150 kinda stable disc such as a teebird valk or eagle?
    maybe mid 160's flippy disc like sidewinder or roadrunner?
    somewhere in between?

i only know innova, so thats why all my examples are innova lol

ANY beginner, male or female, will be well-served by lighter-weight fairway drivers. The 150g Leopard is a great disc, and will still be useful even once she's moved up in ability. For something a little more overstable, a 150g or 160-165g Teebird or Eagle might be useful.

Sidewinder and Roadrunner are "distance drivers"; hold off on those for now.
    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by whslaxplayer11 View Post
      hey so i am trying to get my girlfriend into disc golf, and i was wondering what molds and weights are the best for beginners and women/players who dont have big arms...
      I know that technique plays a huge part in getting accuracy and distance, but i was wondering about disc selection for her....
      If it helps, she usually throws about 150ft with my 168 sidewinder, she can get it to flip and then usually fades back a little bit at the end.

so if anyone has any advice onto weather i should get her to throw a:
      150 kinda stable disc such as a teebird valk or eagle?
      maybe mid 160's flippy disc like sidewinder or roadrunner?
      somewhere in between?

i only know innova, so thats why all my examples are innova lol
      go down to the 150's for a couple of discs like a cheetah,gazelle, even see if you can find a little bit lighter sidewinder, toss in a 150 G roc and she's good to go.
      "In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

Agreed. Light midranges and fairway drivers are good for ANY beginner.

Comment

I would suggest that she try a Avenger SS. That is what i suggest to most people just getting into the game. It's stability is .5 and will fly straight with not as much power.
          Last edited by kyle95; August 24th, 2009, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Get the 145-155g discs - leopard, gazelle, teebird, Teebird-L... See how she throws with those... You can see a forum on what women have in their bags on another part of this forum, forgot where...

Comment

Originally posted by kyle95 View Post
              I would suggest that she try a Avenger SS. That is what i suggest to most people just getting into the game. It's stability is .5 and will fly straight with not as much power.

But at what weight? The Avenger SS only goes down to 161 and that is only Pro-D plastic. Discraft is really hard for a beginner with a weak arm to throw, they make 150 class and then jump up to mid 160s.

You are going to find mostly Innova for her to throw. A lepord is a good choice (the winner of the womans rec division at the Clash last weekend threw only her 150 lepord and putter). I love my 150 Pro Teebird-L and a 150 or maybe slightly heaver Shark is a good start as well. If you can find it a Gazelle is also a good choice, they run from the 140s on up, including the mid 150s.

Comment

A light Stingray worked for me when I was starting out. Then I moved to light DX Valks. I still throw girls' discs. But at least I'm throwing the ones that some the girls who out-drive me throw.
                The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

hey hey hey, there is no gender stamped on these discs, just throw what works period, regardless of make and weight... That's a major problem with the Masters division at Deaf tournaments, they all tired and hurt after one round and when I mention dropping down weights, they are like, oh no not women's weights, pfflltt, they sound like women, whining that they hurt and their distance sucks... just kidding about the last part...

Comment

I don't mind hangin' with the goils, talkin' 'bout our 150s.

Comment

[QUOTE=snap7times;31911]hey hey hey, there is no gender stamped on these discs, just throw what works period, regardless of make and weight... /QUOTE]

Actually, I'm pretty sure my fuchia 146g DX Valkyrie is a female disc. Her name is Betty.

Comment

I suppose we could call them "Japanese discs."

Comment

Hawk. They only go as low as 160 but they are still a good disc.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9SSP...eature=related

Comment

[QUOTE=Scott;31914]
                            Originally posted by snap7times View Post
                            hey hey hey, there is no gender stamped on these discs, just throw what works period, regardless of make and weight... /QUOTE]

Actually, I'm pretty sure my fuchia 146g DX Valkyrie is a female disc. Her name is Betty.
                            You must be single... no woman would want a peice of plastic having more importance than the woman herself... But since you brought it up, I don't mind tossing Betty just to see what it is like to throw a woman; gotta get it out of my system...

Comment

I've been throwing 150 Valks as my fairway drivers (star) for the last, sheesh, 4 years, I guess. I also always keep 2-3 Eclipses (the lightest they go is like 164, but they're super flippy so that's okay) in my bag in various stages of worked in, from brand new to pretty beat. They are easy to learn on and easy to control. Eclipses are discraft.

Good luck, it's great to have more women getting into this sport!
                              "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                              Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X