Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's the one Mike Patrick did for my birthday!

Comment

Originally posted by gwillim View Post
      0First tell me how you do it. Times, mixtures, type of dye, etc. That way I know what you need to know!
      So I have been using rit dye, powder and liquid, I seem to prefer the liquid as i dont have to spend too much time mixing it versus the powder. I am willing to use a different dye if you have any suggestions. Next I put about 4 cups of water to one package/ container of dye, and heat it for a few minutes on medium until it just barely begins to give heat off the top of the surface of the dye, then i take the heat off and touch the side of the pot and make sure it is not too hot, then I tilt the disc at an angle and lower it into the dye, and leave it for 20 minutes and then use semi hot water to wash and peal the vinyl... any suggestions are seriously appreciated. Thanks mang!
      Future's so bright, I gotta wear shades.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlitosBonitos View Post
        So I have been using rit dye, powder and liquid, I seem to prefer the liquid as i dont have to spend too much time mixing it versus the powder. I am willing to use a different dye if you have any suggestions. Next I put about 4 cups of water to one package/ container of dye, and heat it for a few minutes on medium until it just barely begins to give heat off the top of the surface of the dye, then i take the heat off and touch the side of the pot and make sure it is not too hot, then I tilt the disc at an angle and lower it into the dye, and leave it for 20 minutes and then use semi hot water to wash and peal the vinyl... any suggestions are seriously appreciated. Thanks mang!
        I use powdered RIT because it's much cheaper than the liquid. I've used the liquid in the past, and I don't think there is much difference. You can get sharp blacks with either one, if you prefer the liquid, stick with it.

SOLUTION:
        I'd say that 4 cups is probably a little too diluted. I use 1 1/2 - 2 cups max. The more water you add, the less potent your solution will be. I have two "dying" pans that I use, both are standard 10" x 2" pans. I usually fill them with approximately 1 1/2" of solution, you don't want the disc to be touching the bottom, obviously, but you don't have too be way far away either.

TIMING & HEAT:
        I Always heat the solution to a "heavy steam" level, maybe a minute before it starts to boil. Then I turn off the heat completely and immediately drop the disc in. I let it sit for a couple minutes, pull it out and check for airbubbles, then I immediately put it back in for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes I take it out and check it again to make sure everything is going according to plan. At this point it should be getting dark, but not pure black yet. If everything is still good, I put the heat on a low setting (2/10 or something) and let the disc float on that for 3 minutes, then check, if not dark enough, 2 minutes, check, etc.

The disc will get very warm, and that's ok as long as you are paying attention. Some people might tell you that using this method is an easy way to ruin the disc, and that can be true, if you're not paying attention. I've used this method for all of my dyes, and I've only messed up one disc. That was when I was first starting to dye, and I was goofing around. This will give you PITCH BLACK results.

If you're uncomfortable, try it with a junky disc first!
        Last edited by gwillim; November 21st, 2008, 08:24 PM.

Comment

The way I do it is much the same as others, but here is my specifics. I bring water to a boil. I pour that water into a 2 inch deep tupperware container that fits a disc. whatever color I am using, I only use 1 packet of powdered Rit, and sometimes mix in a bit of liquid dye. I dont use the angled technique as described by others, but i do pick up the disc after a few mins an re soak. i let it soak for an hour or so to achieve the best color, then rinse off and repeat as desired until the color is there.
          All I want for Christmas is Sharpies and Rit Dye!!!!

Comment

Artist

Trozzle:
            Hey: Great looking discs. I am an artist and have worked many mediums, curently into wood. This looks very appealing to me and I have been thinking about giving it a try. I have done a little bit of research but found nothing solid. All I seem to find is trial and error methods. Don't care to be waistful because my cash comes as hard as anyone elses. Would there be a chance that you would be willing to share your secrets on the subject? If so great.

Tree Man Lee

Comment

I think any one of us dye artists around here will be more than happy to share our knowledge with you. None of us are into it for the money, although some of us make a few bucks off of it every now and then. give me a bit of time, an i will tell you all my secrets
              All I want for Christmas is Sharpies and Rit Dye!!!!

Comment

Custom order I did for a guy on the East Coast. I think it's a Christmas present for his sig/other.

As always, my fone camera sucks, the disc looks much better IRL.

Comment

I was working on a prototype for Mat Crider's birthday present today and came up with this. It's not actually going to look like this, but I thought it was still pretty sweet art, none-the-less. The actual disc will hopefully still be cool in it's own right.

Here's the foto that the silhouette is from...

Here's the final result...I kind of like it, but it didn't turn out quite like I hoped.

Comment

I use powdered RIT because it's much cheaper than the liquid. I've used the liquid in the past, and I don't think there is much difference. You can get sharp blacks with either one, if you prefer the liquid, stick with it.
                    I am not sure what I should be using to cut outlines with? Do you reccomend any kind of product that Ican print images out on to with my computer, the current stuff I am using smears and tears when I cut corners. Also it is kind of thick. Thanks seriously appreciated

Comment

• gwillim,

That disc turned out great! You can tell it's Mat.

"Operator! Give me the number for 911! " - Homer S.

Comment

• Originally posted by CarlitosBonitos View Post
                        I am not sure what I should be using to cut outlines with? Do you reccomend any kind of product that Ican print images out on to with my computer, the current stuff I am using smears and tears when I cut corners. Also it is kind of thick. Thanks seriously appreciated
                        What I do is print the design onto a regular sheet of paper, and then tape it to the top of the vinyl. Then I cut through the paper/vinyl. It's always worked well enough. I think there would probably be a better way of doing it, but I haven't looked into it.

@JET;
                        Thank you, He does look a *little* bit better without the bazongas.

-Ryan

Comment

• Here are two more we just got done, my wife did the beavers logo, whilest I did the geometric cubes, on one of the sweetest white washed flight plates I found on ebay, looks cool, wish I hadnt cut it so close to the corners and could of avoided some minor bleeding. Thanks to everyone for the help thus far...

Comment

• Nice Carl! Hill's a natural

Comment

• Originally posted by essjay View Post
                              Nice Carl! Hill's a natural
                              Yeah, it kind of makes me sick, she cuts thing out all quick and painless, and there I am struggling and squinting and stretching my soar shoulders, and then no matter what hers always come out so clean, Anyways we all need to get together and dye some time soon, the weather is almost perfec t for it, and I have enought stuff for 4 people to cut and dye at the same time. I smell a trip to Amity in your future??? Miss ya girlfriend

Comment

• Well, since Carl decided to put his pride on the line and posts his early attempts at dye jobs I figured I'd do the same. Hopefully, you'll be able to see some improvement from my first (about 1 1/2 weeks ago) to now. Keep in mind these discs have been thrown quite a bit and look like crap to begin with. I'm trying to hone in a bit before I go messing up anything pretty.

This first one bled quite a bit. It's on a champ Boss

Next one of Ernesto "Che" turned out better, but I had a little trouble with the lettering.

I really regret getting in a hurry on this one, because it's the only one that I've used a new disc for. The stamp smeared, etc. Here's the Samurai.

The cuts on this STAR Gator came out pretty well, in my opinion. Sorry if this offends anyone. I call it "Unplanned Parenthood", but I'm pretty sure it's a Banksy.

This one just didn't come out very well and I should have scrapped it and tried again, but yeah. It's a Coyote...and it's REAL!

Okay, just got done with this one and I'm actually really happy with the way it turned out on a beat Monarch.

There they are and hopefully many more to come. Thanks Chuck for the inspiration and tutorials.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X