Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ChUcK View Post
    Here's a couple of screw-around dyes I did yesterday out of sheer boredom:

Pretty cool. That Zone looks like a modernist interpretation of a nautilus. I think I'll call it the Mollusk from now on...seems fitting.

Interesting how the dye worked out on the goldline plastic, where in some parts they dye is actually darker in some areas than others where there was more exposure. Gives it a cool marbled effect.
    Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

• If the halo was able to be dipped, it would have looked so cool. I didn't want a fuschia driver, though, so I had to scrounge the only blur rit in the house, which was leftover laundry soap from our Oregon trip.

If only a couple more people quote my post, then we can have an entire page filled up with the same remedial dyes!
      The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

• Originally posted by Trozzle!!! View Post
        I tried to make the dark squares as dark as possible and the lighter squares pretty light. I think it turned out pretty good, and yeah it was a hell of a lot of work cutting out each square. I have a potential buyer for it already, but may sell it to you if still interested. I was throwing it out at Hagg last weekend, and for a star Wraith, it went really straight, I may have to keep it.
        Yes, I realized after looking back at it, that it's not just the contrast between the squares. It's that one set of squares is LIGHTER than the background, and that the other set is DARKER than the background.

If you started with a white disc, the first dip (black) would be the just the dark squares, the 2nd dip would be the mid-dark (grey) background (almost the entire disc would be dyed at this step) then finally the light squares (or they could maybe be left white).

I HAVE NEVER DYED A DISC, so if I have this wrong, sorry.

The illusion does work, and I am eager to see it in person. If you have a buyer, good on you, sell away!
        Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
        Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
        Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
        Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
        Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

• Originally posted by TreeLove View Post
          If you started with a white disc, the first dip (black) would be the just the dark squares, the 2nd dip would be the mid-dark (grey) background (almost the entire disc would be dyed at this step) then finally the light squares (or they could maybe be left white).
          Originally, I would have dyed the image just like Trozzle!!! did, but now that you figured out more specifics on the illusion, that is exactly the procedure to follow. Maybe you should get some vinyl and pick up a new, fun hobby?
          The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

• I would also have done it the way Troy did; I also would not have realized the significance of the background shading until afterward either. Plus, isn't it even MORE work the way I described? Maybe it's the same # of cuts, but it sure is a tricky peeling job at step 2, I would think...

I am fascinated by the whole process, and AMAZED by some of the work I see up here. My Dad is a graphic artist, signmaker, calligrapher, etc., and always tried to get me to follow in his footsteps. In fact, he used many of the skills discussed here: vinyl, X-Acto knives, stencils, pounce bags & wheels, squeegees, and so forth. I am also intrigued by computers, plotters, etc. I had a neighbor who was a more modern graphic artist; everything he did came straight out of his computer! But I lack creativity and the perseverance to follow through on long complex projects (wow I think I just figured out what's wrong with my golf game!). I get frustrated when I lack the dexterity, creativity, or patience to follow through on challenges that don't just come easily. That's why I often reach out for assistance (or pay for it) with projects I feel are beyond my capability. That's what makes us non-artists appreciate art even more!

I appreciate the encouragement, I think one thing that holds me back is hearing about and seeing photos of the permanent damage you can wreak on your house by dying discs. Maybe once I get plumbing installed in my basement, that mini-kitchen and bathroom, then I will give it a try downstairs....
            Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
            Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
            Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
            Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
            Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

• ChUcK those dyes are sick! I love that kinda stuff!
              www.soulpancake.com
              www.bahai.org
              http://s979.photobucket.com/albums/ae274/aarikc17/

Comment

• Heading down to Eugene to play Cottage Grove in the morning then watch the Ducks in the Rose Bowl and after looking at all the talent here that you guys have it just occurred to me that having had one of you guys dye a Ducks Rose Bowl disc would have been awesome to gift my buddy for the New Year. Nice work by all.

Comment

• Good thing you held off on that disc...

Comment

• Dyed this after somebody mentioned something to the effect. ESP Surge 174g

www.soulpancake.com
                    www.bahai.org
                    http://s979.photobucket.com/albums/ae274/aarikc17/

Comment

• very nice!!!
                      All I want for Christmas is Sharpies and Rit Dye!!!!

Comment

• i have recently acquired a couple 10x and 11x KC pro plastic through trades etc and I want to remove the ink on the back, what's the best thing to remove it with, I tried nail polish remover, crest toothpaste and only seems to remove recent marks but the marks that are old and faded wouldn't budge... any tips?

Comment

• I heard Goo-Gone works. I have never tried it but i have heard about it.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9SSP...eature=related

Comment

• Originally posted by snap7times View Post
                            any tips?
                            get used to throwing traded plastic. Some chemicals remove sharpie from some plastics, but to varying degrees of success, none reaching 100%.

Comment

• Originally posted by snap7times View Post
                              i have recently acquired a couple 10x and 11x KC pro plastic through trades etc and I want to remove the ink on the back, what's the best thing to remove it with, I tried nail polish remover, crest toothpaste and only seems to remove recent marks but the marks that are old and faded wouldn't budge... any tips?

I have a practice basket in my yard and last summer I left a Champ Boss upside down in the basket and the sprinkler filled it with water leading me to accidentally discover a good method of removing sharpie marks from ANY type plastic golf disc. The weather has to be hot and sunny. Put your disc outside in a sunny spot upside down with some water in it. Then just leave it outside until the water evaporates. The sharpie marks will have faded. Add more water and wait for evaporation again. Repeat until sharpie marks are gone.
                              The longest it took me was a month. Some discs only took a few days. It always worked. This method doesn't work if it is not hot (80 plus degrees?) and sunny.

Comment

• i need instant tips, although that is a good idea when i have long periods of time and want to remove everything on one side... other ideas?

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X