Dyed Discs Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Click here

    Challenge disc golf

    Comment


    • Originally posted by drkstr View Post
      Hey Now Kris ~ I finally hit an ace with the Frank Zappa dye you did for me ~ #13 at Lake Stevens

      [IMG][/IMG]
      Congrats buddy!
      "What's in the bag", pdga #37977, dgcr #356, **Team Chainbanger'z**


      You are never really playing an opponent. You are playing yourself, your own highest standards, and when you reach your limits, that is real joy.
      -- Arthur Ashe

      Comment


      • Thank you Mr. Stengele ~ I made a DGCR Travel Tag swap down in SoCal recently ~ let's meet up and make another swap (maybe get Cinque in on this one, then you could get #5 back again)

        Comment


        • That's what I am talking about! Lets make it happen. Did you see the dgcr article on

          rattlingchains.com? Check it out. I got a shot out on it.
          "What's in the bag", pdga #37977, dgcr #356, **Team Chainbanger'z**


          You are never really playing an opponent. You are playing yourself, your own highest standards, and when you reach your limits, that is real joy.
          -- Arthur Ashe

          Comment


          • What are people here using in lieu of the rit dye new formula no longer taking to a disc?

            I had to go looking for information about this problem elsewhere and am surprised it isn't talked about more here as far as I can tell. So here is what I learned.

            I went looking for either older boxes of powdered rit (supposedly if the serial #/date is earlier than 2011 it will work) or the liquid (non "ND") at Michaels but they had neither. I bought 1 box of the newer powdered Rit that they did have as well as another brand of fabric dye they had (can't remember the brand name) and tested them both on champion glow plastic - they both failed.

            I had also read that apparently I could mix in ETOH with the newer Rit? but didn't want to go there if I could help it.

            I had also heard about iDye poly dissolvable fabric dye so I went looking for that and found some at Columbia Art Supply on NE Burnside / 15th - they had a limited selection (it comes in many more colors, but fortunately had what I needed -black and red) for 3.59 each. I have since found 1 post earlier in this thread circa 2009 where someone indicated that this did not work for them. However iDye worked great for me (again it was champion glow and I think there is a difference between "iDye poly" and "iDye for natural fibers"). Also I did not try the separate packet of "color intensifier" that comes with each and which package says is for polyester. Maybe that would have produced an even brighter red but not what I was looking for.
            Last edited by Lund; November 19th, 2012, 10:29 AM.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Lund View Post
              What are people here using in lieu of the rit dye new formula no longer taking to a disc?

              I had to go looking for information about this problem elsewhere and am surprised it isn't talked about more here as far as I can tell. So here is what I learned.

              I went looking for either older boxes of powdered rit (supposedly if the serial #/date is earlier than 2011 it will work) or the liquid (non "ND") at Michaels but they had neither. I bought 1 box of the newer powdered Rit that they did have as well as another brand of fabric dye they had (can't remember the brand name) and tested them both on champion glow plastic - they both failed.

              I had also read that apparently I could mix in ETOH with the newer Rit? but didn't want to go there if I could help it.

              I had also heard about iDye poly dissolvable fabric dye so I went looking for that and found some at Columbia Art Supply on NE Burnside / 15th - they had a limited selection (it comes in many more colors, but fortunately had what I needed -black and red) for 3.59 each. I have since found 1 post earlier in this thread circa 2009 where someone indicated that this did not work for them. However iDye worked great for me (again it was champion glow and I think there is a difference between "iDye poly" and "iDye for natural fibers"). Also I did not try the separate packet of "color intensifier" that comes with each and which package says is for polyester. Maybe that would have produced an even brighter red but not what I was looking for.
              Ask these dye nerds:

              http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...splay.php?f=25

              Comment


              • You have to use the poly, but no need for the intensifier, it only leaves a weird, gummy residue. iDye definitely results in brighter colors, just be careful when you rinse the disc because if your water is too hot, it can make the dye run.
                Whenever I see a matress on top of a car, I think it's a prostitute making a house call!

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
                  Whoa, thanks MB. I guess I had been finding bits and pieces from the bible like tomes on that site via google, which is how I found out about the iDye poly alternative.

                  I just thought I would put out some of that info here since I was surprised that I was not seeing more talk on this forum from the local hardcores as to how they were dealing with their Rit withdrawal symptoms.

                  In summary:
                  -new powdered Rit = bad
                  -other brand at Michaels (Tulip?) = bad
                  -liquid Rit of the non ND variety supposedly works, not available at local Michaels
                  -iDye poly = great, available locally in Portland; optional color intensifier = not necessary, probably even bad. Thanks Kris.

                  One other lesson I learned that is old hat for most everyone here I bet: removed any vinyl residue in between application of color layers. Some of that gunk that I did not see kept the 2nd and 3rd colors from setting perfectly. Very minor problem in my case, but noticeable for sure.
                  Last edited by Lund; November 19th, 2012, 12:53 PM.

                  Comment


                  • Speaking of dyes, is anyone here currently taking commissions? PM me please, I have a one disc job I would pay to have done well.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
                      Speaking of dyes, is anyone here currently taking commissions? PM me please, I have a one disc job I would pay to have done well.
                      dude, send it to danni... she really does fine work. i'm not huge into dyes, but i got wonder woman on my champ spyder and it is gorgeous. and really reasonably priced, but she may be really busy right now as it is the holiday season.
                      "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                      Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

                      Comment


                      • My Star Aviar.
                        Whenever I see a matress on top of a car, I think it's a prostitute making a house call!

                        Comment


                        • Kris, that is just awesome! really awesome, nice dye job also!
                          Team HOSER:dancing:
                          Team OLY:cheerleader:
                          Team Meteor

                          "Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Kris C View Post
                            My Star Aviar.
                            Hehehe, Farside rules. Good job as always sir. When are we going to meet up so I can give you this breeze and a disc for you to dye for me?
                            "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                            Cleveland Brown

                            Comment


                            • I'm hoping to make it to Corbin in the next day or two, can you get over there?
                              Whenever I see a matress on top of a car, I think it's a prostitute making a house call!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Kris C View Post
                                I'm hoping to make it to Corbin in the next day or two, can you get over there?
                                Possibly, send me a pm so we can hash out the details
                                "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                                Cleveland Brown

                                Comment

                                Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X