X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by whalekillah View Post
    I own that Scarface disc now. Star plastic has not been kind to the original image. I still like it though.

Post up a pic of that guy, I'd like to see how it has aged.
    The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

• Question? is there an after dye treatment that keeps the image from bleeding?
      I ask due to my dye jobs bleeding dye a couple of days after the image has been dipped. The discs that I had philman and others do haven't had the image bleed or blur, or not yet anyway. I had my vinyl cut for me and I used powder rit dye at about 120f for 10? minutes. I then washed the disc in cold water.
      The worst bleeder is my green champ groove with my DGOD logo. Just a black dye. Also the disc I keep next to the groove in my bag has image transfer on it. So even after 3 weeks its stil bleeding dye.
      Hukin since 1992
      DGOD #115

Comment

• [QUOTE=zombie41;98514]TYVEK thank you for the explination. I appriciate the detail. just 1 more question
        [QUOTE=TYVEK;98463]

if it is a multicolor dye i will take a fine sharpie and draw the lines where other colors will go later on.

If you take a fine sharpie and draw the lines for the other colors, doesn't the black Dye completely make it impossible to see the lines for the second color? And do you cut the second and third color out of the existing vinyl that has already been dyed to the disc or, do you cut it out from another fresh piece of vinyl? Sorry to bother you. But I really appriciate the feedback, I've seen a lot of great dye jobs and I would love to make some I'm proud of.
        Thank you again Tyvek and Tim.

i use white vinyl and even after several "dips" in black the vinyl is only a grey color, so it is pretty easy to see the sharpie lines. if i am doing a 2 color dye then i will just cut out peices from the vinyl on the disc and then dip it in the color. if it is more than 2 colors then i will cut some off the disc, dye the color then cover that up with peices of new vinyl and cut other spots for the next color. if you ever cut on the disc, a very very important thing to remember is that with a "sharp" blade it only takes a feather touch to cut the vinyl. if you press to hard you will make marks on your disc.
        Team HOSER:dancing:
        Team OLY:cheerleader:
        Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

• Originally posted by Mikk View Post
          Question? is there an after dye treatment that keeps the image from bleeding?
          I ask due to my dye jobs bleeding dye a couple of days after the image has been dipped. The discs that I had philman and others do haven't had the image bleed or blur, or not yet anyway. I had my vinyl cut for me and I used powder rit dye at about 120f for 10? minutes. I then washed the disc in cold water.
          The worst bleeder is my green champ groove with my DGOD logo. Just a black dye. Also the disc I keep next to the groove in my bag has image transfer on it. So even after 3 weeks its stil bleeding dye.

as far as i know there is no "after dye treatment" for this.
          the only thing i can think of is that it might not be getting rinsed enough after you dye it. also i have found that it is best to let the dyed disc just sit for a few days to help the dye really set in.
          Team Meteor

Comment

• Originally posted by TYVEK View Post
            as far as i know there is no "after dye treatment" for this.
            the only thing i can think of is that it might not be getting rinsed enough after you dye it. also i have found that it is best to let the dyed disc just sit for a few days to help the dye really set in.
            Ok well I didnt let my discs sit for awhile before use. I will try that on my next dye job. By the way the mushroom dye TREX did for me is still clean as the day I got it back, thats why I asked...
            Last edited by Mikk; May 18th, 2011, 10:33 PM. Reason: OOPS
            Hukin since 1992
            DGOD #115

Comment

• I know nothing about disc dyeing, but I remember my mom would always "set" the dye when dying fabric. I think she did so by soaking the fabric in vinegar (solution?). Perhaps a vinegar dip/float/soak is on order after dyeing?
              Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
              Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
              Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
              Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
              Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

• Thanks to every body giving me pointers... I just aced hole 3 at Hornings Highlands, today with my candy plastic Orc that I dyed yesturday, I think the Sheep F*cking logo might catch on in my league...
                And Whalekillah Thats an epic disc. I've watched the video twice on youtube for that Dye job. Having Tony Montana on a disc gives you extra power. I read that somewhere")

Comment

• Originally posted by zombie41 View Post
                  ...might catch on in my league...
                  Y'all must be tryin' ta quit.
                  The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                  ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

• Originally posted by zombie41 View Post
                    Thanks to every body giving me pointers... I just aced hole 3 at Hornings Highlands, today with my candy plastic Orc that I dyed yesturday, I think the Sheep F*cking logo might catch on in my league...
                    And Whalekillah Thats an epic disc. I've watched the video twice on youtube for that Dye job. Having Tony Montana on a disc gives you extra power. I read that somewhere")
                    Nice ace! Your dye job reminds me of a GWAR song I think? But the action portraid was ok?

I think its cool in the fact that you did everything by hand. I think I'm gona go buy some vinyl
                    Hukin since 1992
                    DGOD #115

Comment

• Originally posted by Mikk View Post
                      Ok well I didnt let my discs sit for awhile before use. I will try that on my next dye job. By the way the mushroom dye TREX did for me is still clean as the day I got it back, thats why I asked...
                      i think that the plastic that the mushroom dye is on has ALOT to do with the dye still being crisp. the sparkle plastic that discraft puts out and their crystal plastic it at the top of my list of plastic that i like to dye. also the Opto plastic from latitude is next to the top quality wise for holding dyes longest.
                      Team Meteor

Comment

• Whenever I see a matress on top of a car, I think it's a prostitute making a house call!

Comment

• Nice Kris.. another fine job.

Love the way it works with the shape of the disc. I have done a couple patterns like this and I know it's a pain. I just got 5 champion plastic discs and will begin dyeing again soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by TYVEK View Post
                            i think that the plastic that the mushroom dye is on has ALOT to do with the dye still being crisp. the sparkle plastic that discraft puts out and their crystal plastic it at the top of my list of plastic that i like to dye. also the Opto plastic from latitude is next to the top quality wise for holding dyes longest.
                            WHAT!! are you kidding me? It was my extreme and time consuming attention to detail and proficiency in the dye process that keeps "that" dye looking like new. NOT!

It's totally the plastic like Tyvek said. I stick with champion/sparkle most of the time for that very reason. I see some dyes I did a year or so ago and they look great because of the plastic. I also see a lot of faded dyes. It's hard to tell people who hand you a cetain disc they want done that it wont stay crisp for long, but most of the time they dont care. Be choosy if you want it to last.

Comment

• Any thoughts on putting the disc in a freezer immediately after pulling from the dye bath? I've read other people suggesting that it helps to cure the dye/help it set-in... I've only recently begun doing so, and haven't experienced any noticeable difference yet...

Comment

• Thanks Trex. I put this one in the freezer, we'll see how it works...
                                Whenever I see a matress on top of a car, I think it's a prostitute making a house call!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X