Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leopard is the ideal disc. When you have to throw straight but you can't throw hard enough to straighten out a teebird or TL then a leopard is great. I use a low weight one to flip it without much velocity.

Comment

The Leopard is a great disc but if you are trying to power it, it is just too understable and could keep turning on you. A Teebird - even when overpowered - will fly straighter and come back some from the flip whereas a Leopard will not.
      ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
      ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

I will throw a Z XL in tightly wooded narrow fairways. It's very easy to control and throw straight.
        A par is not a bogey.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
          The Leopard is a great disc but if you are trying to power it, it is just too understable and could keep turning on you. A Teebird - even when overpowered - will fly straighter and come back some from the flip whereas a Leopard will not.
          I have a lighter star teebird too, so I am going to try that as well as the Leopord. Thanks Sam for the advice.

Cindy
          Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
          2013 Chick Flick co-TD
          Stumptown #176
          PDGA #37716

Comment

My pleasure. With the Teebird, you can actually throw it with a little annhyzer and a less than 100% throw will result in a slighter S that finishes back in the middle of the fairway.
            ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
            ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Sometimes it is not the disc but the throw. Have you tried working a dependable forehand shot into your selection of throws. A forehand can be very good in tight situations as it allows you to maintain your focus on your line of throw. I know it does not meet the suggested requirements of answering the question but it may also be a good solution.

If you want backhand discs, try a mid range or a stable putter if you absolutely have to stay in the fairway and don't need a lot of distance. If a fairway driver is your true intentions a Cheetah or a light weight Gazelle might also be good solutions. Natalie has a 150 gm Gazelle and it is her straight discs and nets her about 200 feet on throws while Jason McGrew threw a 150 Cheetah for upshots or short tight throws at Am Worlds this year and he was a magician with the disc.
              PDGA #25296
              Stumptown #34

Comment

I've recently added a Cheetah and a Leopard to my bag. Now, with my TeeBird, TL and FireBird, I have a perfect array of "fairway" drivers. Of course, the harder I throw these the less likely they are to do what they're supposed to.

Comment

My wife has a 160ish cobra that goes dead straight for her. She also has good success with a dx leopard. I beat the leopard a bit before she stole it from my bag. Anyone else would have pulled back a stump. Good luck!
                  Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

Cindy, honestly try a pro leopard, get one that is new so you know how it beats in. I love teebirds, but once you learn a leopard you will fall in love with it. I throw fairly far, and hard, some people know this. But I can still control the heck out of a leopard even on a full power drive.

But then again I just started throwing less stable drives to force myself to control them, and it's done nothing but improve my game. When you start to learn why you are flipping a disc over, out of control, you learn to rethink your throw, how to correct it, and ultimately (hopefully) learn to choose which lines and routes work best for your power level and your throw.

I do have some leopards of my own and if you head out to McIver anytime soon let me know, I would be more than happy to help you out, let you throw them with your own, or whichever disc you choose. I still think open fields are the best place to learn what you can do with a disc and what you can't, and then apply that to those tight fairways you speak of.

Comment

I use a super old school disc that i never see in anyone's bag but mine or my old dad's...it's an eclipse (discraft)...i think it was one of the first disc golf discs that they made and still make. It's got a larger diameter than any of my other drivers and doesn't go as far and i go through them like they're disposable, but...when i want to go straight they go straight as long as they're pretty brand new.
                      "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                      Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Originally posted by Flash View Post
                        Sometimes it is not the disc but the throw. Have you tried working a dependable forehand shot into your selection of throws. A forehand can be very good in tight situations as it allows you to maintain your focus on your line of throw. I know it does not meet the suggested requirements of answering the question but it may also be a good solution.

If you want backhand discs, try a mid range or a stable putter if you absolutely have to stay in the fairway and don't need a lot of distance. If a fairway driver is your true intentions a Cheetah or a light weight Gazelle might also be good solutions. Natalie has a 150 gm Gazelle and it is her straight discs and nets her about 200 feet on throws while Jason McGrew threw a 150 Cheetah for upshots or short tight throws at Am Worlds this year and he was a magician with the disc.
                        I actually do have a good forehand, but at the moment it is out of commission because I pulled something in the biceps that only affects my forehand drive. Upside to that I was forced last weekend to practice my anhyzers, which I needed to do anyway.

I do also have a lightweight dx Gazelle & Cheetah that I am going to try along with the Leopord and Teebird. Hey and the Cheetah is blue, so maybe I can work some magic with it like McGrew did. This will be a fun expirement to see which disc works out the best for me.

Thanks,
                        Cindy
                        2013 Chick Flick co-TD
                        Stumptown #176
                        PDGA #37716

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
                          Cindy, honestly try a pro leopard, get one that is new so you know how it beats in. I love teebirds, but once you learn a leopard you will fall in love with it. I throw fairly far, and hard, some people know this. But I can still control the heck out of a leopard even on a full power drive.

But then again I just started throwing less stable drives to force myself to control them, and it's done nothing but improve my game. When you start to learn why you are flipping a disc over, out of control, you learn to rethink your throw, how to correct it, and ultimately (hopefully) learn to choose which lines and routes work best for your power level and your throw.

I do have some leopards of my own and if you head out to McIver anytime soon let me know, I would be more than happy to help you out, let you throw them with your own, or whichever disc you choose. I still think open fields are the best place to learn what you can do with a disc and what you can't, and then apply that to those tight fairways you speak of.
                          Thanks Bruce the Leopard is one I am going to practice with. It's a 150 Champion, but if it works out I might look for one in the Pro plastic.

Next time I do make it out to McIver I will shoot you a message. Might not be for awhile with all the tourney's down south, but I will eventually be hitting McIver for sure.

Cindy
                          2013 Chick Flick co-TD
                          Stumptown #176
                          PDGA #37716

Comment

I do not have a lot of arm strength but what works really well for me is my old 172 gram DX Cheetah. The thing flies straight and true and, unless I get the nose up too much, the disc just finally dies at the end falling without much - if any - fade. My wife has a 150 Leopard but it seems a little light to me. I would love to try one at 166 to 170 grams.

-Mark

Comment

XL is a great fairway driver. Very easy to control, much like a leopard or a TL. The Buzzz is also an outstandingly strait flyer, so depending on the distance of the shot you are after, I recomend the Buzzz.
                              Team DISCRAFT
                              NW Sign Up
                              Gorilla Boy
                              Paragon Disc Golf
                              Odwalla

Comment

Drivers are for throwing far with less control. For narrow fairways, throw a midrange disc. I like the Buzzz. I hear the Roc has a small but dedicated following, as well.
                                Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                                Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                                Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                                Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                                Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X