First Time Discraft Buyer Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • First Time Discraft Buyer

    And I could use a little help. So far these are the discs I'm going to buy.

    Pro-D Cyclone 160-169
    Elite-Z Avenger 170-172
    Elite-X Buzzz 173-176
    Pro-D Hawk 160-169
    Pro-D Magnet 160-169

    I'm wondering what a good recommendation for a third driver would be. So far the Elite-X XL sounds appealing to me, but I figured people that actually throw Discraft would be able to provide better information then the internet.

    If this helps, I throw hard, but I can't throw very far (I just found out today that I can throw a little over 300 feet on a flat surface) and I'm pretty weak. I throw left-handed forehand/sidearm, and I'm learning right-handed backhand (it's what feels natural).

    Thanks in advance for any input.

  • #2
    Originally posted by eric25 View Post
    And I could use a little help. So far these are the discs I'm going to buy.

    Pro-D Cyclone 160-169
    Elite-Z Avenger 170-172
    Elite-X Buzzz 173-176
    Pro-D Hawk 160-169
    Pro-D Magnet 160-169

    I'm wondering what a good recommendation for a third driver would be. So far the Elite-X XL sounds appealing to me, but I figured people that actually throw Discraft would be able to provide better information then the internet.

    If this helps, I throw hard, but I can't throw very far (I just found out today that I can throw a little over 300 feet on a flat surface) and I'm pretty weak. I throw left-handed forehand/sidearm, and I'm learning right-handed backhand (it's what feels natural).

    Thanks in advance for any input.
    Just out of curiosity, why the sudden switch to Discraft?

    The only d-craft I regularly throw is a Z-wasp. Feels and throws like a champion roc for a fraction of the price. Very nice.

    Comment


    • #3
      Well are you looking for a sidearm or backhand disc? For sidearms I love my Elite Z Flick, very overstable, and it is great for sidearm or backhand headwinds or hyzer flex shots, I can't recommend the ESP ones they seem to fly different for some reason. The Surge is very similar to a Wraith if you are looking for that. XL is one of my favorites, I have an Elite Z, it seems a little more understable that the 1.5 it's getting. If I was to move around the five discs you plan to buy I would do this instead:

      Instead of the Pro-D Cyclone I would get a FLX ESP Avenger SS or an Elite-Z Avenger SS.
      Instead of the Elite-Z Avenger I would get a FLX ESP or Elite-Z Surge or Surge SS.
      You can't go wrong with a Buzzz but I would get an Elite-Z or a FLX ESP for a longer beat in period, personal preference here though.
      You can't go wrong with a Hawk really either but I would pick up a Comet in Elite-Z.
      The Magnet is a wonderful disc, if you want another putter for windy days and is a little more overstable go with a Challenger, I love mine in FLX ESP.

      The other discs I mentioned could fit in here very easily as well, hope this helps!
      Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

      ~ Cyndi Lauper ~

      Comment


      • #4
        The Cyclone and XL might be somewhat similar to each other, flight-wise, but you'll find that they FEEL very different. If you want a more understable driver, maybe try an Avenger SS.

        Also, why a Buzzz and a Hawk? What do you think the Hawk will do that the Buzzz won't? Consider a Comet if you want a straight-to-understable mid-range, or a Stratus if you want one that will REALLY turn over.
        Oregon disc golf map

        Comment


        • #5
          At Scott:
          I'm not really completely switching to Discraft, I just want to see how the brand is. I hear that their descriptions on the website are extremely accurate to their description, and I want to get more discs in general, and I want to see what I like better myself. I'll still use my Innova discs. Too much money to be throwing away, haha.

          At sillybizz:
          Thanks for the input I'm mainly looking for something to use with sidearm, but I want something I can learn with also. Unfortunately, I can't change any of the Pro-D discs because they all come in a bundle for $20. Thanks for the info about ESP plastic, and I'll definitely look into the Avenger SS. I already have a beat up Star Wraith that I still plan to throw so I think I'll pass on the Surge. I'll look into the more durable plastic on the Buzzz too, I use my discs for way to long, haha. I'll look into the Flick.

          At Adam Schneider:
          All the Pro-D discs come bundled. I found that I could get 5 select discs, or 6 discs and choose three of my own for a dollar more, so the Hawk costs a dollar, haha.

          Thanks for all the info.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by eric25 View Post
            At Scott:
            I'm not really completely switching to Discraft, I just want to see how the brand is. I hear that their descriptions on the website are extremely accurate to their description, and I want to get more discs in general, and I want to see what I like better myself. I'll still use my Innova discs. Too much money to be throwing away, haha.

            At sillybizz:
            Thanks for the input I'm mainly looking for something to use with sidearm, but I want something I can learn with also. Unfortunately, I can't change any of the Pro-D discs because they all come in a bundle for $20. Thanks for the info about ESP plastic, and I'll definitely look into the Avenger SS. I already have a beat up Star Wraith that I still plan to throw so I think I'll pass on the Surge. I'll look into the more durable plastic on the Buzzz too, I use my discs for way to long, haha. I'll look into the Flick.

            At Adam Schneider:
            All the Pro-D discs come bundled. I found that I could get 5 select discs, or 6 discs and choose three of my own for a dollar more.

            Thanks for all the info.
            You are welcome, have fun throwing and learning your new discs, and if you don't like them for some reason, you can send them to me.
            Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

            ~ Cyndi Lauper ~

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by eric25 View Post
              All the Pro-D discs come bundled. I found that I could get 5 select discs, or 6 discs and choose three of my own for a dollar more, so the Hawk costs a dollar, haha.
              I don't entirely understand the "bundle" deal, but can you get a Stratus instead? Those come in Pro-D, and they're dead useful.
              Oregon disc golf map

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                I don't entirely understand the "bundle" deal, but can you get a Stratus instead? Those come in Pro-D, and they're dead useful.
                http://www.discgolfstore.com/product...1&cat=0&page=1

                If I could get a Stratus I would. It sounds like an awesome disc.

                Comment


                • #9
                  An ESP or Z Predator is the best overstable disc on the market. Fights everything but hurricane headwinds, and always has this beautiful straight flight with a solid fade. They thumb accurately, too.

                  The Drone is a nice overstable mid, similar to a Gator.

                  Their new Wizard knock-off Ace Race disc sounds cool, too, but I've never thrown one.

                  The Stalker sounds like a good fairway driver, but I've never thrown one either.

                  Cyclones are amazingly versatile discs, but Pro D plastic generally beats in too fast. I've heard good things about ESP Cyclones (avoid Z Cyclones, they're too overstable to have that workable Cyclone flight).

                  Flicks are solid thumber discs if you don't like the grip of the Predator.

                  Avenger is much like a faster Teebird, which is a good thing.
                  Last edited by Parks; August 7th, 2009, 10:24 PM.
                  We're at our best when it's from our hips

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    If you buy from http://www.discgolfcenter.com/, Pro-D discs -- any model you want -- are only $7.49 each, and you get to pick your exact weight and color, and you don't pay shipping.
                    Oregon disc golf map

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I'm new to the Discraft as well. I recently bought a Z Glide, an understable mid range disc. I don't throw very far either, the glide seems to get just as far as my drivers, but is easier to throw and more predictable. Like a stingray that doesn't come back left. A friend of mine throws a Discraft meteor, another under stable mid range, and that disc will hold a sweet anhyzer shot! I'm getting a new ESP Discraft Meteor soon!
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Pick your discs 5-pack of Pro D/DX for under $6 a pop.

                        http://gottagogottathrow.com/discgol...pro-p-354.html
                        We're at our best when it's from our hips

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          ESP CRUSH! That is all I have to say.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9SSP...eature=related

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Parks View Post
                            An ESP or Z Predator is the best overstable disc on the market. Fights everything but hurricane headwinds, and always has this beautiful straight flight with a solid fade. They thumb accurately, too.

                            The Drone is a nice overstable mid, similar to a Gator.

                            Their new Wizard knock-off Ace Race disc sounds cool, too, but I've never thrown one.

                            The Stalker sounds like a good fairway driver, but I've never thrown one either.

                            Cyclones are amazingly versatile discs, but Pro D plastic generally beats in too fast. I've heard good things about ESP Cyclones (avoid Z Cyclones, they're too overstable to have that workable Cyclone flight).

                            Flicks are solid thumber discs if you don't like the grip of the Predator.

                            Avenger is much like a faster Teebird, which is a good thing.
                            +1.

                            I've heard that Discraft's Pro-D plastic has improved, but I haven't tried it. My experience with the couple discs I had was that it did indeed break in WAY too fast. I had a Wasp that broke in to a sweet spot ridiculously quick, but I stopped throwing it because I figured it'd break itself out of it's sweet spot too.

                            And yeah, the ESP Cyclone is a sweet, sweet disc. Old school technology with new school plastic FTW!

                            Oh yeah, saw a Stalker for the first time in person yesterday, it looked like an XL with a bead. Felt kinda weird in the hand to me. I think it's supposed to have similar flight to a Teebird, but for the feel, I'd rather stick with a Teebird.
                            Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by eric25 View Post
                              And I could use a little help. So far these are the discs I'm going to buy.

                              Pro-D Cyclone 160-169
                              Elite-Z Avenger 170-172
                              Elite-X Buzzz 173-176
                              Pro-D Hawk 160-169
                              Pro-D Magnet 160-169
                              Sounds like a pretty good start given the parameters of your bundle. Nothing wrong with an X-Buzzz as it will still give you a long run. As for the Pro-D end of things, they now offer the Avenger SS and the Force in D plastic. The SS will help you learn that backhand game and the Force is a natural for the Forehand. The Z-Avenger will work well for both shots (as many others will) so nothing wrong there. A Surge will be almost the same stability but with a longer glide at the end of the flight. For a max distance for folks that don't throw far is often the Flash, as long as it has room to work its flight path.

                              No matter what, enjoy the new discs and have fun!

                              Later,
                              Scott Papa
                              Team Discraft
                              Instructional Editor DiscGolfer Magazine

                              Comment

                              Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X