X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moving from game to sport

Randy Michael Signor editorialized a smaller basket would move disc golf from a game to a sport. I suggest a standard size based on Gateway" s Bullseye basket. The basket height should mimic the strike zone from baseball for a 6 foot (2 yards) tall human. I also suggest a disc limit in tournaments. Elimination of the jump putt which is a cheater shot. Rarely is the disc released when the foot is behind the lie. The game disc golf jumped too quickly on the metric bandwagon disregarding the human factor. I stand 2 yards tall not 2 meters. I figure I'm average because I can never find jeans in my size because they are all purchased. My arm measures a yard from the center of my chest to tip of my fingers when arm is outstretched parallel to ground. My foot is a foot. One reason I always opposed the 2 meter rule. It doesn't fit the human scale. Course standards such as 72 par course not 54 pars. Equal number of right turn and left turn fairway holes. At least blue and white tees. Marketing! Currently PDGA has approximately 20,000 members. 20,000 folfers live in the area of Helena, MT a town of 35,000. I think PDGA should reassess their marketing strategy. Of course amateurs contributing to pro payouts is another factor keeping disc golf a game. The name disc golf suggests the game is the little brother of the sport golf. I welcome all civil debate on this issue.

Dead horse beating...this way please...
    educate your thinking

Comment

Disc golf is fine just the way it is.
      Last edited by quenyaistar; March 10th, 2014, 07:04 PM.

Comment

2nd post on the boards and it's for a change in the sport. Best of luck selling it around here.
        "Love is not primarily a relationship to a specific person. Love is an attitude, an ordination of character which determines the relatedness of the person to the whole world as a whole, not toward one object of love.”

Comment

the post has April fools written all over it. the SPORT is fine the way it is, with one exception. the only thing i would like to see change is to get all the marijuana smoking out of the sport. thats most likely not going to happen, but thats the only thing i would want to change.
          Team HOSER:dancing:
          Team OLY:cheerleader:
          Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

Get rid of the alcohol and cigarettes as well, that shits way worse than weed.....if you gotta smoke anything do it before you start your round, nothing more irritating than getting to the 2nd or 3rd hole and folks already have to stop and smoke more weed F'ing up the flow around the course.

Comment

Is this the same OP posting the same text here as he posted on DGCR?

Comment

What's next…talk of the Olympics I'll bet. I've been playing this "game" since 1975, it's nice to see you younglings mastering this "game" so quickly that it seems easy and in need of re-invention. Hell I'm still getting use to beveled plastic…try a few rounds with a Whamo 141 if you'd like the challenge we faced back in the day. I look forward to reading your name next to Doss and the like. See you on the links, I'm the guy enjoying the day with friends for a walk in the park.
                educate your thinking

Comment

Originally posted by tmk View Post
                  Is this the same OP posting the same text here as he posted on DGCR?
                  Of course.

Comment

Come on guys, take it easy on him. He lives in Helena which apparently has a population of 35,000 of which 20,000 are disc golfers. This guy is obviously way to occupied "changing" the sport/game over there to respond to any posts on either forum. But hey, at least whoever designed Milo took his suggestions into consideration!! Directly to Mr. Bacon: Please step away from the keyboard when drunk and possibly delusional.

Comment

Portland has a population of what... 600,000? 750,000 of THEM play disc golf...
                      “I believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know — Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, that’s in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, I’ll know I’m a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? I’m not sure, but it’s possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.”
                      ~Annika Sörenstam

Comment

That's what I'm talking about Sam. Solid mathematical numbers. See you Saturday and remember, we are THEM.

Comment

Funny. It says 20,000 in the area. Helena has suburbs. Beating a dead horse is exactly what these people are doing. The game will either advance to a sport or remain an activity to keep drunks, potheads, and met heads off the streets. They seem to be on the discussion forums. I asked for civilized debate remember. Oh by the way I've been playing and designing courses since 1965. I've been doing without help for 49 years. I was the 1994 Oregon overall am champ. My cousin's son was an overall Washington champ a few years back. When you play rough terrain courses like we do, a day in one of your parks is nothing. Does anyone out there have an intelligent civil comment. The adults who keep this game going would like to know.

Comment

ED???!!!!

Comment

Hi Mjbacon,

Well, your post(s) here appear to be as difficult to decipher/understand as those over on dgcoursereview. From what I can decipher of your posts, it appears that your overall opinion is that you don't like the 'fact' (used liberally, as you have presented no evidence to prove this as 'fact') that disc golf is "an activity to keep drunks, potheads, and met[h] heads off the streets." You'd like to see disc golf become a 'sport' (instead).

For a start, I'd be interested to hear you specifically define both the terms 'game' and 'sport'. I'd be very happy to stray into game design theory with you, and can write pages and pages on how 'games' have historically been defined and characterized, but I'd suspect that, in simple terms, you are probably thinking about the association between 'sports' and athleticism.

I also really don't follow any of your specific suggestions.

For example, your first suggestion is to implement a "standard size based on Gateway's Bullseye basket". Do you really expect that making putting (slightly) more difficult will have the effect of reducing the quantity/percentage of "drunks, potheads, and met[h] heads" engaging in the activity of disc golf? Do you have any data at all to confirm your opinion?

Next up, your statement "The basket height should mimic the strike zone from baseball for a 6 foot (2 yards) tall human".. again, why? Baseball doesn't use a static metric of 6ft. in height for all players, so why is this metric important? Further, in what way does it reduce the quantity/percentage of "drunks, potheads, and met[h] heads" engaging in the activity of disc golf? Do you have any data at all to confirm your opinion? I'd be interested in hearing why you think baseball should have a static strike zone built around a 6ft. tall person, as well. Are you suggesting that, when it comes to events for women, the basket height should be altered?

On to your statement of "I also suggest a disc limit in tournaments".. once again, why? This change might have a minor effect on the cost of a 'professional' disc golfer's equipment (i.e. fewer discs in the bag possibly means purchasing fewer discs overall), but I don't see how this change has any effect whatsoever on the recreational one-disc 'chuckers' of the disc golf world.

Moving on... "Elimination of the jump putt which is a cheater shot. Rarely is the disc released when the foot is behind the lie." Ok, once again you seem to be specifically talking about 'walking' putts rather than 'jump' putts. I really don't understand your argument here at all. Do you dislike the fact that in basketball players jump over the free-throw line after the ball leaves their hands? Is this somehow aesthetically unpleasing to you? Do you have data on the effect this change would have on drug use in the activity?

"The game disc golf jumped too quickly on the metric bandwagon disregarding the human factor. I stand 2 yards tall not 2 meters. I figure I'm average because I can never find jeans in my size because they are all purchased. My arm measures a yard from the center of my chest to tip of my fingers when arm is outstretched parallel to ground. My foot is a foot. One reason I always opposed the 2 meter rule. It doesn't fit the human scale." - ok wait, your big agenda seems to be on the image of disc golf, and now you're advocating for reducing the activity's scope to United States only? Are you somehow unaware that the entire rest of the World uses the metric system? Also, how hard is it exactly to put 1.83 meters in a rulebook instead of 2 yards? I fail to understand how switching disc golf away from the metric system would add any amount of professionalism to the activity. Can you cite examples of any other sport switching *away* from using the metric system?

"Course standards such as 72 par course not 54 pars. Equal number of right turn and left turn fairway holes. At least blue and white tees." - umm awesome? I'd love to see (more) high-par courses get installed, as well as standards for par calibration adopted, but the question you still aren't addressing (with data) is how this kind of change would increase the professionalism of the activity. I can certainly imagine that, by extension, developing huge high-par courses like you describe above would involve privatization of disc golf courses. After all, how many parks departments around the US have 30+ acre parcels of (public) land around to dedicate exclusively to disc golf? On the topic of privatization of disc golf, yes, I do actually agree that this kind of change might have a significant effect on drug use in the activity, and the overall 'image' of disc golf. The question remains, however, of how privatized disc golf can be funded.

In conclusion, maybe try articulating your arguments with, you know, paragraphs and stuff. Citations and actual data couldn't hurt, either. Further, you might have better luck if you post in arenas that are actually predominantly populated by PDGA members or course designers.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X