Broken discs. Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Broken discs.

    Has anyone ever had this happen to them?
    http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/u...toMoto0012.jpg

    It was a cold day. About 30. I was playing in the woods and I ripped on sidearm. Tattooed a tree about 10 feet in front of me. I saw 1 half fly one way and the other the other way. I was crushed. I tried duct tape..did not fly the same. That was my favorite disc too. I ended up retiring it the only way i know how. i gave it one last chuck in to the great river. Rest In Peaces Eagle!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9SSP...eature=related

  • #2
    If you are going to play in sub freezing conditions I would suggest Discraft FLX plastic. It was made for those conditions. Star maybe, Flex for sure!
    educate your thinking

    Comment


    • #3
      No... but I wanted to tear my Roc in half last night at one point. Where is this "tree"?
      ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
      ~Annika SŲrenstam

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by JMan View Post
        If you are going to play in sub freezing conditions I would suggest Discraft FLX plastic. It was made for those conditions. Star maybe, Flex for sure!

        Yeah definitely DX is not the right plastic for extreme cold. KC Rocs would split in half also . I would imagine z-line plastic might as well.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Iowa View Post
          Has anyone ever had this happen to them?
          http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/u...toMoto0012.jpg

          It was a cold day. About 30. I was playing in the woods and I ripped on sidearm. Tattooed a tree about 10 feet in front of me. I saw 1 half fly one way and the other the other way. I was crushed. I tried duct tape..did not fly the same. That was my favorite disc too. I ended up retiring it the only way i know how. i gave it one last chuck in to the great river. Rest In Peaces Eagle!
          The BIG question is: what score did you get on the hole?
          Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
          Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
          Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
          Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
          Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

          Comment


          • #6
            Thank you for the advise all. It was the stiff old dx plastic. Now I play with esp during cold weather. Champion/Z hold up good but is very slippery.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9SSP...eature=related

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Iowa View Post
              ...my favorite disc too.
              That is cold.
              The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
              ...but it plays one on TV.

              Comment


              • #8
                My favorite PDGA rule:

                803.03
                E. If the thrown disc breaks and comes to rest in more than one piece, the largest piece, as
                agreed to by a majority of the group or an official, is deemed to be the thrown disc.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Yup, I broke an old DX Panther right in half, and it wasn't even cold at all.

                  Nor did I throw it that hard.
                  www.soulpancake.com
                  www.bahai.org
                  http://s979.photobucket.com/albums/ae274/aarikc17/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The disc can become brittle if it has ever been exposed to extreme cold.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Wow. I never knew that. Would it be a good investment to buy 5 or 6 discs for only winter/cold weather play?
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9SSP...eature=related

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Iowa View Post
                        Wow. I never knew that. Would it be a good investment to buy 5 or 6 discs for only winter/cold weather play?
                        Depends on how often the discs are exposed to extreme cold weather. That includes sitting in your garage or the trunk of a car.

                        I'd recommend high end plastic, but not just because of the weather. Buy it because it's better and will last much, much longer.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          This is true, but also, DX and its equivalents remain the easiest to grip in cold/wet conditions. The blend for DX has changed over the years, and it's far less susceptible to breakage these days--all the discs I hear about breaking tend to be people's money Rocs and such that are like 10 years old. I'd bet that exposure to UV rays also would aid in a disc's deterioration.
                          Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Tim View Post
                            This is true, but also, DX and its equivalents remain the easiest to grip in cold/wet conditions.
                            Pro is pretty grippable, as is Star (although not as much as DX). FLX seems fairly grippy as well.


                            Originally posted by Tim View Post
                            I'd bet that exposure to UV rays also would aid in a disc's deterioration.
                            I'd bet you're right on that.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Just like our bodies and other athletic equipment like softball/baseball bats... their tendencies to get hurt/broken increase exponently once the tempatures drop below 60 degrees. I've seen my share of KC Rocs and 10x/11x KC Avairs snap down the middle or even in 2 places in various weather conditions, but always colder than 60 degrees. FLX is made for cold weather as stated above.. treat your discs with respect, or they will crack on ya sooner or later

                              Comment

                              Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X