X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear wizard with a "glow groove"?

All right, I made a posting on DGR to see if anyone else knew about these, but so far I'm coming up empty. At BSF one night a bunch of us were playing catch by tourney central with different LED discs. Somebody came along with a cool clear wizard that had a groove cut out inside the rim that fit a glow stick (the necklace kind) perfectly. It just looked like a solid ring of light when it flew through the air (in other words "badass.") Though it was dark out and I'd had a few beverages, it didn't look like it was a DIY kind of deal--the groove seemed uniform all around. I know some of the other people playing catch out there are on here...I'm not trippin' am I guys? This thing really did exist, right? And assuming it did, does anyone know where I can get one?
    Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

The clear plastic Wizard definitely exists...Gateway Clear Evolution series. I'm not familiar with the glow stick groove though. Didn't see any mention of it online. Anyone else? Bueller...Bueller?
    I putt, therefore I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
      All right, I made a posting on DGR to see if anyone else knew about these, but so far I'm coming up empty. At BSF one night a bunch of us were playing catch by tourney central with different LED discs. Somebody came along with a cool clear wizard that had a groove cut out inside the rim that fit a glow stick (the necklace kind) perfectly. It just looked like a solid ring of light when it flew through the air (in other words "badass.") Though it was dark out and I'd had a few beverages, it didn't look like it was a DIY kind of deal--the groove seemed uniform all around. I know some of the other people playing catch out there are on here...I'm not trippin' am I guys? This thing really did exist, right? And assuming it did, does anyone know where I can get one?
      You need to talk to Eric Mathias. I'm not sure if he is ever on here. You could also call Jerry at DGD. I thought I heard some rumor that he might start selling them. I thought Eric said at GNO this year he had made them using a lathe.
      Current World Rank: 2857th
      Lowest Rated Round: 777
      Worst Tournament Finish: 2nd From DFL MA2 GNO 2008
      Worst Drive: 10 Feet behind teepad
      Shortest Putt Missed During a Tournament: < 1 foot (Not Kidding)
      Best Fall: Hole 11 Trojan Park, before cement teepads
      Dirtiest Ace: Hole 12 Horning's Canyon Course through the "V" tree.
      Pairs of Shoes Ruined: 6

Comment

Yeah, I've got a couple of the clear wizards myself, but that one that we played with at BSF is the only one I've seen that had that modification. It was definitely cool though...the only illuminated disc that I've thrown that actually flew like you'd expect a golf disc to fly.

Edit: Just saw your post, keys, thanks. Awesome, glad to know it actually exists! Sucks to know that it's not something in regular production! I'd definitely buy one if I had the opportunity.

Comment

Eric Mathias is selling them out of the trunk of his car. I picked one up a couple weeks ago.

Comment

And how does one go about getting ahold of Eric Mathias? I would love to purchase one before the Fernburner next weekend...
            TROJAN NATION: zippyboy, bishop, wiseguy, jasonrocksout, Dan N., Ol' Bob, The Mentor, chris7graham, radsnowsurfer, ChUcK, J-Man, Keys, Over The Hill Bob, Tennesee, Haley, Jeep4x420, Scott Hill, JubJub, Jim Anderson, JLewis, Z-Man, Greg the Clown, Marcus B., Treelove, Trozzle, Brillo, D-Walk, my beloved (Amy), Tim, Leland (my dad), Bro, Peter, Michael, and Rolly. Anybody else?

Comment

this is a great idea, id be interested in how he did it and if he'd do it with other discs. im not bashing the wizard, but i'd preffer a no bead mold like a q-mega or something. but i needs me one of these!

Comment

Get two, Zipp, in case someone you know wants one too.
                The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
                  Get two, Zipp, in case someone you know wants one too.
                  Will do, sir. Remember, I still have three of the R-Pro Bosses for you, too.
                  TROJAN NATION: zippyboy, bishop, wiseguy, jasonrocksout, Dan N., Ol' Bob, The Mentor, chris7graham, radsnowsurfer, ChUcK, J-Man, Keys, Over The Hill Bob, Tennesee, Haley, Jeep4x420, Scott Hill, JubJub, Jim Anderson, JLewis, Z-Man, Greg the Clown, Marcus B., Treelove, Trozzle, Brillo, D-Walk, my beloved (Amy), Tim, Leland (my dad), Bro, Peter, Michael, and Rolly. Anybody else?

Comment

I too talked with Eric about this at the BSF. He told me he had a machine shop make the groove. He said it was quite the process and quite expensive. I don't think he was able to do different disc's yet, they only had the lathe set for one mold at that time.
                    A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

I have his number pm me and I will reply with it.

Comment

I've got a vacuum chuck on a wood lathe that would allow me to make this sort of thing out of any disc - where do you get the glow sticks?

Comment

You can order the glow necklaces online or pick them up at dollar stores.
                          Practice - Practice - Practice -- Doing what I can to keep it on the fairway _ at least I try to!
                          DDGA #202; WDDGA #37; ODDGA #47 ; PDGA #38171

Comment

Jerry Miller with Disc Golf Depot has some, I was in there monday, though I do not know if they were for sale, however he did show them to me.

Comment

I was supposed to meet up with Eric at String Summit, but the rendezvous was never successful. Found his camp, but never managed to find him at it. Any chance anyone who's going to the 'Burner knows Eric and would be willing to help some DG'ers out? Heck, I'd bet he could sell a decent amount if he sent a stack of them up...

Comment