Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love Adidas Sambas and burn through a pair every summer (then they become shop/garden shoes for the next summer.)

Other than those, I've heard great things about the Portland-based company Brooks that makes Cascadias.

I tried Nike trail runners (3 pairs) when I worked there a couple years ago. they were cute and fell apart quick enough to keep the sweatshops that Bob mentions above ticking (not saying the Adidas weren't made in the same factory, just saying that I get more than a month out of Adidas...can't say that for any of the 10 or so pairs I bought when I worked there...)

Recently I've resigned myself to the fact that, if I want dry feet and to play in the conditions I do (read: is it daylight? is it safe to get to a course...? let's GO!) I should wear big old waterproof catleman's boots with nice insoles or solid trailrunners that will get wet but assure a solid footing.

Wow, I get long winded when I'm icing down after a round...

Comment

Disc Golf Shoes - from a woman's point of view....

OK guys!!!
      After breaking my ankle slipping down a slippery slope at hole #2 at Pier , I would highly recommend that everyone wear something that has good tread, supports the ankle really well, and that you don't slide around in the shoe. That being said, a good pair of hiking boots with knarly tread is going to be the shoe for me from NOW ON! I've seen a lot of people wearing flip-flops, gators, and tennis shoes w/no tread (guilty). Just for the sake of something that only took a split second to happen - take care of your feet before you get on the course!

Comment

Originally posted by Will of Doom View Post
        http://www.rei.com/product/763585

They have a goretex lining so they are waterproof, fit like a pair of nike running shoes and have excelent grip on anything I have yet to encounter.
        They will cost a pretty penny but I think they're worth it.
        I just tried these out at REI in Eugene, they fit a little weird...they have 2 sets of lacing loops...one for wide feet and one for narrow feet (outer loops for narrow feet). Ended up fitting 1/2 as good as the Vasques I finally settled on.....

Comment

Shoes are a big deal, they gotta fit, feel and work right. The best Spring, Summer, fall shoe I found was the Adidas Barricade Grass shoe, but alas it is out of production. I now sport a pair of Adidas Samba Millenniums, sweet shoe. All leather but not too hot or heavy. Like bags every person has their own set of needs in a shoe, so my only advice is buy from a business that you can return them no questions asked if they aren't what you were hoping for. I had purchased a pair of New Balance 620s, nice shoe but after a month they began to tear, I shipped them back, no problem. Good luck.
          J
          educate your thinking

Comment

Call me crazy but for summer disc golf play I just can't beat my nice pair of used Tevas I picked up at next adventure, I know they may not be the safest shoe out there, but they sure are fun And I even managed to play the Lava launch down Mt. Bachelor in a trusty pair of tevas
            PDGA: #32726 rating: 930 StumptownDG: #31, Trojan Nation: Tag# 06
            dgcoursereview.com profile: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=376

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
              I'd think the cleats on soccer shoes wouldn't work too well on concrete teepads.
              hehehehe ohh Adam.... the Puma King is a famous indoor soccer shoe line, although they do make cleats in the King, its well known for being the top indoor soccer shoe... anyways, small humorous thing...

As for me, I like to switch around between my Nike cross country/running shoes, columbia hiking shoes, and Merrell shoes which is my current fave. I noticed that using "shoe goo" where the shoe could break off has extended the shoe life dramatically.
              All 3 were bought at the outlet malls... Nike at some random shoe outlet store, columbia at columbia in woodburn, and merrell at the merrell outlet store near here in cali... Outlet stores are good!

Comment

REI has a great return policy.

I bought a pair of Merrell Moab Gore-Tex XCR Cross-Training Shoes and they started leaking after 3 months. I figured they should have lasted longer.
                Almost 6 months after I bought them, I went in and was looking for new shoes. I explained the situation to the shoe clerk, just asking how long the waterproofing should last. She said if I was still wearing them they should and told me to return them.
                I went in the next day and returned them. They gave me almost full price credit (there is a dividend system they use, so since I already received my dividend for that shoe purchase, I had to subtract that from the original price).

Comment

What do people think of the Bite high top Disc golf shoe? Do they run big or small, narrow or wide. how well do tehy hold up?
                  Throw What You Know.
                  "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
                  PDGA# 45989

Comment

Hands down, the top three brands to buy are Vasque, Merrell and La Sportiva. These days, I also try to look for Vibram soles, as they have superior traction and durability.

Probably the best shoes I've killed playing disc golf, were a pair of La Sportiva Cirque Pro approach shoes. Their Frixion rubber is the stickiest you can put on your feet and gives incredible grip on anything. Being an approach shoe, they also have a very firm, almost unbendable last running the full length of the sole. Climbing any trail was like having my own personal stairs. Still, they were really pricey and, although the soles were super sticky, they were also super soft and wore out quicker than I would have liked, so I'm sticking to Vasque and Merrell for now.
                    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by Uhlman View Post
                      What do people think of the Bite high top Disc golf shoe? Do they run big or small, narrow or wide. how well do tehy hold up?
                      The Bite High tops are great but Bite is no longer a company. As far as size, they are fairly roomy. I bought an 11 and 10.5 (I usually wear an 11) when they were 2 for 1 and both worked very well. They hold up for a long time too. I played in my first pair for 1.5-2 years and I play a lot of golf. I wish they still made these.
                      A par is not a bogey.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan View Post
                        The Bite High tops are great but Bite is no longer a company. As far as size, they are fairly roomy. I bought an 11 and 10.5 (I usually wear an 11) when they were 2 for 1 and both worked very well. They hold up for a long time too. I played in my first pair for 1.5-2 years and I play a lot of golf. I wish they still made these.
                        thanks for the input
                        Throw What You Know.
                        "Gravity, she's a harsh mistress." -The Tick
                        PDGA# 45989

Comment

When it is dry out i prefer to use cheap adidas running shoes from Costco, but if it is wet out i use Keens.

Comment

I bought a new pair of Garmonts from REI about a month ago. They are very sturdy with Vibram soles, and a large toe-cap. I drag my right foot when I throw, and so far only a couple stitches in the leather have come un-done. I have gone through a pair of Salomons, and a pair of Merrells,
                            both returned to REI. All have been destroyed, and they still took them back on exchange. Of course i had to pay the difference, if the new shoes were more expensive, but totally worth it. I'm just gonna keep blowing shoes out until I find one that lasts, or REI goes broke.
                            PDGA #42116

Comment