X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discs for the wife.

Just wondering what discs all the ladies are hukin. My wife has a 180 DX Stingray and a 175 Aviar P&A. She has 150-175 ft. distance and decent technique. I had her try a 175 sidewinder but it is to heavy and all my other discs are to overstable. Is 150 class the route to go here and should I stay away from the primo plastic and stick with dx,elite x, pro d? thanks.
    The Frisbee is the mirror to the soul.

-M. Burns

Male or female, the same advice applies to all beginners: stay away from heavy drivers and "distance drivers" -- i.e., anything above 7 on Innova's "speed" rating. Fairway drivers are better for now. (I don't think the type of plastic really matters.)

If she wants something more aerodynamic and/or stable than the Stingray, pick up a 150g-160g Leopard and see how that goes. If she starts flipping the Leopard, move up to an Eagle or Teebird, both of which come in light weights. (But a lightweight Leopard is still a useful disc to have, even after you become a more advanced player.)

By the way, there are very few people who really should be throwing max-weight drivers. Most disc golfers will get much better results with drivers below 170g.
    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by grant View Post
      Just wondering what discs all the ladies are hukin. My wife has a 180 DX Stingray and a 175 Aviar P&A. She has 150-175 ft. distance and decent technique. I had her try a 175 sidewinder but it is to heavy and all my other discs are to overstable. Is 150 class the route to go here and should I stay away from the primo plastic and stick with dx,elite x, pro d? thanks.
      I throw 150 to 160ish for drivers, and mostly champion and star plastic. I throw Valks, Roadrunners, Sidewinders, (backhand) T-birds, and TLs (Forehand). I am hucking them about 175 to 200. I also have a Beast in my bag that I am currently trying out. I have a 169 Star Cro midrange, and max weight putters.

Cindy

PS The ladies get together every month to play rounds together without the boys, and this coming sunday happens to be this months chickflick. We are meeting at Milo 1W at 11am to play the 27 on Sunday. We would love for your wife to join us.
      Last edited by LegoRules; May 12th, 2009, 12:30 PM. Reason: spelling
      Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
      2013 Chick Flick co-TD
      Stumptown #176
      PDGA #37716

Comment

I would recommend that you go ahead and have her try a few that are in the 150's to 165's. She might be surprised about how far she can go with them. She might have better control of them. Personally I would recommend trying a few before you buy them to see how comfortable they are - in terms of grip, release, and weight. It will take a few before you find that she's comfortable with a certain weight and performs well with them. (Go over to Disc Golf Depot and ask Valerie)...
        Practice - Practice - Practice -- Doing what I can to keep it on the fairway _ at least I try to!
        DDGA #202; WDDGA #37; ODDGA #47 ; PDGA #38171

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
          Male or female, the same advice applies to all beginners: stay away from heavy drivers and "distance drivers" -- i.e., anything above 7 on Innova's "speed" rating. Fairway drivers are better for now. (I don't think the type of plastic really matters.)

If she wants something more aerodynamic and/or stable than the Stingray, pick up a 150g-160g Leopard and see how that goes. If she starts flipping the Leopard, move up to an Eagle or Teebird, both of which come in light weights.

By the way, there are very few people who really should be throwing max-weight drivers. Most disc golfers will get much better results with drivers below 170g.
          Thanks Adam, good advice on the max weight drivers. When I first started I was getting the wide rimmed discs when I had no business throwing them but I have come to find out that I am not that gifted to throw those max weight beasts and now throw fairway drivers exclusively on drives. Now I have all these destroyers that are "practice field only" discs. Live and learn. I just wish the disc manufacturing companies would throw the non cannon arms a bone and make some discs under speed 10-13 besides putters.

-M. Burns

Comment

Being old and feeble, I get outdriven by quite a few women. I like 150 DX drivers, Wraiths, Destroyers, and such. I flip the Valks now. When I say, "DX," I mean worked in DX. The new ones are usually overstable for a while. Different people have different arm speeds and different spin speeds. I think that's why what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. Then there're different grips. It becomes hard to say what will be in any one person's wheelhouse. Damn, you're just going to have to play more disc golf to figger this out!
            The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
            ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Damn, you're just going to have to play more disc golf to figger this out!

And that really is the answer I would like to hear the most.

-M. Burns

Comment

Originally posted by grant View Post
                I just wish the disc manufacturing companies would throw the non cannon arms a bone and make some discs under speed 10-13 besides putters.
                They do! Many of the best discs are between putters and Max D drivers. Here is the selection from Innova.

http://www.innovadiscs.com/discs/index.html
                Current World Rank: 2857th
                Lowest Rated Round: 777
                Worst Tournament Finish: 2nd From DFL MA2 GNO 2008
                Worst Drive: 10 Feet behind teepad
                Shortest Putt Missed During a Tournament: < 1 foot (Not Kidding)
                Best Fall: Hole 11 Trojan Park, before cement teepads
                Dirtiest Ace: Hole 12 Horning's Canyon Course through the "V" tree.
                Pairs of Shoes Ruined: 6

Comment

Originally posted by keys View Post
                  They do! Many of the best discs are between putters and Max D drivers. Here is the selection from Innova.
                  Maybe he meant NEW discs.
                  Oregon disc golf map

Comment

You are correct sir. But that little chart from Innova is nice to know about so thanks Keys.

-M. Burns

Comment

Yeah you're probably right. Speed 6-9 on the Innova side hasn't seen a new mold in a while. I'm not sure Innova needs any new molds in that range, as it seems to be pretty dialed.
                      Current World Rank: 2857th
                      Lowest Rated Round: 777
                      Worst Tournament Finish: 2nd From DFL MA2 GNO 2008
                      Worst Drive: 10 Feet behind teepad
                      Shortest Putt Missed During a Tournament: < 1 foot (Not Kidding)
                      Best Fall: Hole 11 Trojan Park, before cement teepads
                      Dirtiest Ace: Hole 12 Horning's Canyon Course through the "V" tree.
                      Pairs of Shoes Ruined: 6

Comment

Most all the new drivers are trolling gear. If we didn't bite...
                        The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                        ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Innova must not beleive that they can sell as many new 6-9 speed disks. Midrange? What's so sexy about that? But putting and distance - that's someone that everyone wants (and will rush to the store for).

Comment

Do you putt with a Kite? A Coyote? Both are new discs from within the past 5 years, I believe. Both have speeds under 8.

Personally, I am pissed that Innova hasn't fixed world hunger or the spread of the swine flu...
                            ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                            ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Back off of the topic of how bad Innova is...

I would strongly suggest a lighter Leopard, a lighter Valkyrie, a lighter Sidewinder, a lighter TeeBird, a lighter Roc or Coyote (a lot of girls love 'em for some reason) and a heavier putter such as an Aviar-X. Then go to the field and throw them all over and over and over again.
                              ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                              ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X