Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another one to think about, from the non-Innova world: the Discraft Impact is a pretty decent fairway driver, and it comes in 150g.
    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
      Do you putt with a Kite? A Coyote? Both are new discs from within the past 5 years, I believe. Both have speeds under 8.

Personally, I am pissed that Innova hasn't fixed world hunger or the spread of the swine flu...
      Take it easy. I'm not bashing anyone. I was just making an observation. Surely you will concede that, in the last five years, Innova has released more distance drivers than any other types of disc. Five years ago Innova didn't even have a disc faster than a 10. What are they up to now? 13?

Personally, I don't care. I'm trying to throw fewer molds, not more.

Comment

Wow guys and gals me and the wife had no idea this thread would be this popular. We will probably have to head down to the old disc store to have a look at some new discs. There are some good options that have been said and we look forward to trying them out. Plus it helps fuel the argument that going and playing DG is SO much more exciting than yardwork. Thanks and keep it coming.

Grant
        The Frisbee is the mirror to the soul.

-M. Burns

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
          Surely you will concede that, in the last five years, Innova has released more distance drivers than any other types of disc. Five years ago Innova didn't even have a disc faster than a 10. What are they up to now? 13?
          Two thoughts on that:

1) The technology is advancing pretty quickly and they keep producing new ways to make discs fly faster. I am glad that they are sharing and not keeping this technology to themselves. Discraft has to have someone to follow, after all.
          2) Marketing results probably show that - yes, you are right - there is a lot more hype in a faster driver than there is in another speed 5-7 midrange.

And you are correct. Innova probably does think that they will sell more of the drivers and putters than they will mid-ranges. And I bet they think this because the market has proven it correct. Can you blame them for producing what the people are buying?
          ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
          ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

I think that's kind of putting the cart in front of the horse. I wouldn't say Innova is any more guilty than Discraft...or any other company really. But I think it is kind of regrettable that the way the discs are marketed, people end up throwing stuff that they really have no business throwing. Sure, a Destroyer might fly longer than any of your other discs, but if you don't have the power/technique to throw it properly, you'll only be teaching yourself bad habits and limiting your potential.
            Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

There is a thread on what's in our female DG'ers bags somewhere on here that I started. You can find that thread and then see what some of the females have in their bags... For any female or beginner, I have them start in the 150 class with understable discs and then move up weight or stability as they improve.

http://www.nwdiscgolfnews.com/forum/...ead.php?t=1172

Found it...

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                Male or female, the same advice applies to all beginners: stay away from heavy drivers and "distance drivers" -- i.e., anything above 7 on Innova's "speed" rating. Fairway drivers are better for now. (I don't think the type of plastic really matters.)

If she wants something more aerodynamic and/or stable than the Stingray, pick up a 150g-160g Leopard and see how that goes. If she starts flipping the Leopard, move up to an Eagle or Teebird, both of which come in light weights. (But a lightweight Leopard is still a useful disc to have, even after you become a more advanced player.)

By the way, there are very few people who really should be throwing max-weight drivers. Most disc golfers will get much better results with drivers below 170g.
                A Leopard for sure. My wife was given a 171 pro leopard and man can she huck that thing. She used to throw a 150 XL (which she still uses from time to time) but the Leopard has become her go to disc.

Comment

The oldest disc in my bag is a 150g CE Leopard that I got back in 2002. The other day, while auditioning new discs, I threw it 320 feet -- which is about as far as I ever throw anything.
                  Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I guess that means I am going to have to "steal" back my 150 Leopard from my partner's bag.. heee. (good things she hasn't begun to read this forum yet...)
                    Practice - Practice - Practice -- Doing what I can to keep it on the fairway _ at least I try to!
                    DDGA #202; WDDGA #37; ODDGA #47 ; PDGA #38171

Comment

My fiance tried out her new see thru pro line 150g leopard today and was on fire all day! Was consisently throwing those beautiful 200-250' S shots and almost no ugly shots...

Comment

Ohhh! I'm jealous.. that means she's going to catch me on the long distance throws at ODDGC!
                        Practice - Practice - Practice -- Doing what I can to keep it on the fairway _ at least I try to!
                        DDGA #202; WDDGA #37; ODDGA #47 ; PDGA #38171

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                        Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X