Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Innova Monarch

Its been out for nearly a year now.
    Is this just a fad disc for you, that now takes up wall space, or have you found a place for it in your bag ?

I'm curious what other people think it does better than any of thier other discs,if anything, and in what weight do you find it to be most effective for your use ?

It's a good turnover disc for someone with at least 350' of power. For the rest of us, it's probably too much disc... although the weights do go down to 155g.
    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I was carrying two of these, and now I am back down to one of them. I personally find that this has replaced my Road Runner, though it will never replace my Avenger SSes. I don't find this to be a fad at all, really. The Groove seems to be more the fad disc than the Monarch does, but your mileage may vary.

I would guess by your post that you weren't too impressed with the disc in general? For me, it works for throwing on a course where topography comes into play on some level (Skyline is the best example).

Curious your thoughts...

For the record, the one kept in my bag weighs in at 175g. I had a lighter one in the bag, but I kept flipping that one too much...
      TROJAN NATION: zippyboy, bishop, wiseguy, jasonrocksout, Dan N., Ol' Bob, The Mentor, chris7graham, radsnowsurfer, ChUcK, J-Man, Keys, Over The Hill Bob, Tennesee, Haley, Jeep4x420, Scott Hill, JubJub, Jim Anderson, JLewis, Z-Man, Greg the Clown, Marcus B., Treelove, Trozzle, Brillo, D-Walk, my beloved (Amy), Tim, Leland (my dad), Bro, Peter, Michael, and Rolly. Anybody else?

Comment

Originally posted by zippyboy View Post

I would guess by your post that you weren't too impressed with the disc in general?
        When I first got it, I was disappointed.
        I thought it would be a faster Beast, but it never flew as far as any of my Beasts, so I shelved it.

A month ago I read that it would hold an anheizer line better than other models, so I went and did some field tests. The one thing I was lacking in my bag is a reliable disc to hold a line up and behind my back. I can turn over just about any lightweight disc and get it to go behind me, but its an unpredictable shot that I cant aim with any reliability
        I included some formidable opponents in an array of weights for my testing.
        After numerous trials, I found it did indeed carry a nice clean line in a graceful hook, with a short finish, perfect for the shot I was looking for.

The more I use it now, the more I see how formidable it is.

The jury is still out on the Boss.

Comment

I have been carrying a Monarch for some time now and am really liking it. I just picked up one of the Star TFR Monarchs and it is long and very straight when realeased with a little hyzer. When released flat it has a little fade and then comes back a bit. I have a 172 champion one that holds a better anhyzer line.

Comment

I did not like the champ monarch at all. I now have a 170g star that works great on hole 11 and 12 at terrace. With the right line and a little hyzer I can park 11.

Comment

I got a Champ for Xmas and have made it my go-to annie driver.
              The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
              ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

I have a Champ one as well, and it is my go-to annie driver. I know it will hold onto that line for quite some time, then have a really gentle fade at the end of the flight. I'm throwing one that's 167g, and I recently dyed it with a menacing The Monarch and Dr. Mrs. The Monarch. Personally, I love it.

I agree with you zip--I think a lot of people are "loving" the Groove right now just because it is the latest, fastest thing from Innova. That being said, I like it because it flies just like my old Valkyrie, but much further; I just won't say it is the greatest thing since the consciousness of coitus. It's another fast driver that has a fairly good fade to it. I love the Monarch because it showed Innova doing something they don't do too much (a fast driver that's understable). The Groove is nice, but it is a lot like many of their other offerings--I like it, but it's nothing new.
                TROJAN NATION #22: Sweet Baby Jesus and the Orphans

Comment

I really dont see the purpose of the disc other than a backhand roller that will glide out there a ways before touching down.

Ive tried the monach a lot since it came out and my verdict is that the beast is still the best control/turn over disc innova makes.

I also feel that the groove under the disc works better with a wider rim like on the Groove.
                  www.soulpancake.com
                  www.bahai.org
                  http://s979.photobucket.com/albums/ae274/aarikc17/

Comment

Monarch rim groove?

I just picked up a champion monarch and it has a groove like "The Groove." I thought only the Groove had this kind of rim so I figured I'd ask if this normal or did I get a mis-stamped disc?

Comment

The Monarch was the FIRST disc to have the groove.
                      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Good to know, Thanks

Comment

I've had a 171 Champ Monarch in my bag for well over a year now and I love it. Just got an ace with it yesterday (hole 9 at Highbridge; 225' w/ the basket perched on the side of a hill 40' above the tee). Now I guess it will go on the wall since I should get my TFR Star Monarch in the mail tomorrow.

Here's what I've noticed about the disc:

First of all, great disc for windy conditions. No air bouncing.

I have about 350' of power and I find the Monarch to be just a bit more stable than a Sidewinder (but less stable than a Beast), with a much slower fade at the end. It can hold a nice long anhyzer, but it can't take too much angle or it will just keep going and never come back. I can push it out to 350+ with a hyzer-flip, but it also serves well as a fairway driver; with a flat release and not a lot of power it will fly nice and straight.
                          Last edited by Burge; May 26th, 2009, 09:41 PM.
                          "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                          Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X