X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim the Bag or Fill it?

I was reading player profiles on Innova, Gateway, and Discraft and noticed the bag of all the Pros were pretty minimal. They all carry maybe only 3-5 different types of discs but usally 2 of each mold. Alot of players at my level seem to carry a bunch of diiferent molds. For example I have both a Surge and a wraith in my bag but both are very similar in flight.

So what do you prefer.......is it better to go with the Wasp for hyzer shots, Roc for straight shots, Zglide for turn over shots.........or New Roc for hyzer shots, Roc for Straight shots, beat up Roc for turn over shots????

I love plastic so its hard to discrminate between the Surge and the Wraith or other random combo's in my bag. Any other threads or articles on this topic would be interesting too. Thanks.
    WORK LESS THROW MORE
    http://www.grippt.com

Go to an open field, throw every disc in your bag at least 6-10 times to get a feel of which disc will do what and which one you would throw more often if you had 3 of that kind but in different "beat/age"... I used to wrestle between a surge and a wraith and the wraith won because I could do, beat to shit awesome turn, straight as an arrow 12x, and strong left *replaced strong left with teerex*.... It takes years and years of practice to reduce the discs used and to find those that fit your game...

Comment

I think you should throw what fits you best. I personally love the Buzz. I have three in my bag, 1 new for long hyzer shots, 1 slightly used for straight to slight hyzer at the end shots and 1 old for long turnover shots. I could use different discs that do these things straight out of the box, but I feel I can control a Buzz better than any other midrange. Same thing with Drivers and Putters. I throw what I have confidence in.

Comment

howdy,

personally i would say to find the discs that you can absolutely depend on and just have those in your bag. there is no need to be carrying around 10 different molds ALL of the time. i think thats its fine to have the wraith/surge just to compare which disc is going to be work for you the best, but they are so very similar that you dont need to always carry both of them.

when you are out there throwing all your different discs, start to evaluate each one as you throw it and find the model of disc that is TOTALLY dependable for you. each person has a bit of different opinion on which disc is better. but what really matters is which disc works for you the best. personally i switched from carrying 3 ROC'S to now carrying a Z wasp and a BUZZZ. i have had the wasp for almost a year now and it is my primary midrange and it still flies just like a brand new rock!

if a Roc is easier to control for you, then just carry around a couple rocks at different stages of being beat in. one stable, and one understable.
        the less molds you have in your bag, the easier it will be for you to really know exactly what each of your discs are going to do for any given situation.

hope this helps you out. keep throwing and practicing!!!
        Team HOSER:dancing:
        Team OLY:cheerleader:
        Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

Originally posted by sk8architecture View Post
          I was reading player profiles on Innova, Gateway, and Discraft and noticed the bag of all the Pros were pretty minimal. They all carry maybe only 3-5 different types of discs but usally 2 of each mold. Alot of players at my level seem to carry a bunch of diiferent molds. For example I have both a Surge and a wraith in my bag but both are very similar in flight.

So what do you prefer.......is it better to go with the Wasp for hyzer shots, Roc for straight shots, Zglide for turn over shots.........or New Roc for hyzer shots, Roc for Straight shots, beat up Roc for turn over shots????

I love plastic so its hard to discrminate between the Surge and the Wraith or other random combo's in my bag. Any other threads or articles on this topic would be interesting too. Thanks.
          I'm hardly a pro player, but I've definately seen the need to simplify.
          I just stripped my bag down to the following:
          Pro Destroyer
          Pro Destroyer (backup)
          CE Firebird (very beat, very straight)
          Pro Orc
          Pro Teebird
          10x KC Pro Gazelle
          Pro Pig
          DX Roc
          KC Pro Roc
          JK Aviar
          JK Aviar

That's 11 discs (and two are strictly backups), down from about twenty. I just tried it out with a couple of rounds at Pier and LOVED it. The big difference is that, for probably the first time ever, I actually used every disc in my bag (minus the backups). Having a limited selection really helped remove some of the guess work that goes into disc selection.

Comment

I guess it depends on your goal. If you want to move up the rankings and win tournaments, you should probably do like the pros do. I personally think it's a lot more fun to try out new stuff and carry as many discs as my bag will hold.
            Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I've been very happy with my pared down bag, as an amateur player I switched through many discs trying things often, but eventually settled on 6 molds that make up my arsenal and I haven't changed in the last year and a half. I do enjoy having my molds in a variety of weights and plastics, it allows me to get lots of shots while keeping the same grips, now when I throw I don't have to think about what disc to use, because I'm so familiar with all of them. I found this especially true in the putter and mid-range game, before I had different putters for different shots and was inconsistent with all of them.

My bag
              4 X avengers (163-168)
              2 ESP Pulses 173
              3 Z XLs all 172 in different stages of beatness
              2 Z Extremes 174
              2 Z Buzzes 175
              2 ESP supercolor Buzzes 175
              3 D soft magnets 175

Go Discraft
              PDGA: #32726 rating: 930 StumptownDG: #31, Trojan Nation: Tag# 06
              dgcoursereview.com profile: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=376

Comment

I think paring down my bag has been one of the greater benefits to swtiching to Dcraft. In my initial attempts of trying everything I found a lot of solid molds, I've settled into a good rotation right now and have less than 20 discs on me during tourneys. In years past of carried around 25 in the bag at all times...yikes.

ESP Force (2)
                ESP Pulse
                ESP Surge
                Z Surge
                FLX Avenger
                Z Avenger
                Z Predator
                ESP Predator
                Sparkle Rogue
                ESP Meteor
                ESP Buzzz
                ESP Buzzz
                ESP Zone
                Z Xtreme
                D Challenger
                Soft Magnet

17 discs. 12 molds. Each disc sees lots of action
                Team DISCRAFT
                NW Sign Up
                Gorilla Boy
                Paragon Disc Golf
                Odwalla

Comment

Thanks for all the input. For the past 6 months I have actual focused on pure practice in fields and such and have noticed a huge difference in disc selection. As stated above Surge or Wraith I like them both but for personal benfit and consistancy I need to chose one and let the other go. There seems to be a fine line of having all the right shots and just the right amount of discs to preform the shots without thinking too hard. Thanks for the post its interesting to see others approach to this mystery. I guess I should just shut up and throw now!
                  WORK LESS THROW MORE

Comment

Oh yeah it doesn't help that every month a new disc comes out that says its the farthest throwing disc EVER!!!!!!
                    WORK LESS THROW MORE

Comment

I try to limit my bag for less confusion. The more you throw "X" disc the more you get to know what "X" disc flies like. Example: I throw orcs a lot, at times I will toss a brand new champ orc in the bag and use it in a tournament because I have thrown a lot of champ orcs in the last 2 years.

In my bag:
                      XD's
                      Rocs
                      Eagles
                      Orcs
                      Boss (new addition, I'm really liking the star ones)

Comment

168 X Pred
                        169 Z Force
                        169 Pro Rogue
                        175 Z Buzzz
                        172 Pro D Buzzz
                        168 Pro D Challenger
                        174 Soft Mag
                        Six molds, seven discs baby
                        educate your thinking

Comment

Originally posted by RonTheWhip View Post
                          I think paring down my bag has been one of the greater benefits to swtiching to Dcraft. In my initial attempts of trying everything I found a lot of solid molds, I've settled into a good rotation right now and have less than 20 discs on me during tourneys. In years past of carried around 25 in the bag at all times...yikes.

ESP Force (2)
                          ESP Pulse
                          ESP Surge
                          Z Surge
                          FLX Avenger
                          Z Avenger
                          Z Predator
                          ESP Predator
                          Sparkle Rogue
                          ESP Meteor
                          ESP Buzzz
                          ESP Buzzz
                          ESP Zone
                          Z Xtreme
                          D Challenger
                          Soft Magnet

17 discs. 12 molds. Each disc sees lots of action
                          No Crystal or Z Buzzz?

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
                            No Crystal or Z Buzzz?
                            They are on deck

The ESP Buzzz I think has the best grip, plus the new one in the bag is STABLE. Most Z Buzzz I''ve thrown have turn on them right out of the gate, I like the stable ones more.

I've heard domey Crystal Buzzz are stable, any truth to that?
                            Team DISCRAFT
                            NW Sign Up
                            Gorilla Boy
                            Paragon Disc Golf
                            Odwalla

Comment

This is what I show up with in my bag for each event.......
                              I'll remove 7-10 discs depending on the course and conditions

Champ Firebird
                              CE Eagle
                              Star XCaliber (2)
                              Champ Boss
                              1st Run Star TRX
                              1st Run Star Destroyer
                              1st Run Champ Destroyer
                              Champ Destroyer
                              Champ Orc (2)
                              CFR CE TL (2)
                              "Old Mold" Whippet
                              Champ Beast