X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
    Yeah, I dunno why, but Champion Valkyries have a huge gap between 150g and 167g. Actually, a number of Innova molds are like that... but I still don't get why it's easy to find Orcs, Starfires, Beasts, and Sidewinders in the 160g-164g range, but not Valks.
    I never understood why there were no discs in the mid 50's and low 60's for the longest time.
    The way it was explained to me is, there are two weights targeted.
    150 class, and max weight. The weights in between are all mistakes.

Nowadays , mid to high 160 weights seem to be preferred in alot of discs.

It does seem strange to me that they can mold a Candy Valk at 150 grams, but not at 160.
    My lowest Champ is a 167, exactly as you said, but I do have a seriously overstable flat 161 gram disc in Star plastic that I can rip as hard as my arm will bear.

I do have to mention one thing though, I'm old and weak and 350' is a killer drive for me, but, my 175 gram Champ Valk flies farther in a neutral wind than any of my other Valk discs with my weak little arm, so Cindy, try a heavier Champ Valk, it might fly good for you too.

Comment

I remember around the time that Pro Wraiths came out Dave D was saying that their Pro plastic supplier was raising the costs too high and they might stop making it.

I'm guessing that it just doesn't have very good margins right now and people won't pay the same price as Champ or Star for something that breaks in so much faster.
      We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

In Daves thread on the pdga forums, after that initial post, maybe a month ago or so? He said they found a new source of the current pro plastic, so they are going to slow down on the phasing out process. If memory serves me right.

Comment

you are correct the pro will stay as they have found a new supplier.

Comment

So it won't go away, it will just change again....
            Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
            Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
            Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
            Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
            Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Originally posted by captain jack View Post
              I never understood why there were no discs in the mid 50's and low 60's for the longest time.
              The way it was explained to me is, there are two weights targeted.
              150 class, and max weight. The weights in between are all mistakes.

Nowadays , mid to high 160 weights seem to be preferred in alot of discs.

It does seem strange to me that they can mold a Candy Valk at 150 grams, but not at 160.
              My lowest Champ is a 167, exactly as you said, but I do have a seriously overstable flat 161 gram disc in Star plastic that I can rip as hard as my arm will bear.

I do have to mention one thing though, I'm old and weak and 350' is a killer drive for me, but, my 175 gram Champ Valk flies farther in a neutral wind than any of my other Valk discs with my weak little arm, so Cindy, try a heavier Champ Valk, it might fly good for you too.
              I do have a 168 Champ Valk, and I do pretty well with it. I mostly throw it when the wind kicks up.

Cindy
              Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
              2013 Chick Flick co-TD
              Stumptown #176
              PDGA #37716

Comment

Thanks to Adam & Nate I have added to my disc collection. I decided to go ahead and give Star plactic another try. I ordered a 162 pretty light blue Star Valk from the Disc Golf Center. Also ordered a 161 glow T-bird. By the way they have some really light glow T-Birds all the way down to 154. I have never seen glow that light before. I will keep the Pro Valk in my bag too because I do like them, but boy they get dinged up fast.

Cindy
                Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
                2013 Chick Flick co-TD
                Stumptown #176
                PDGA #37716

Comment

Originally posted by TreeLove View Post
                  It wears out too fast.
                  indeed, and in unpredictable fashion

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                  Collapse