X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Bosses

So who has one in their bag? What do you think of it?

I just picked up two from Disc Golf Depot and they feel really nice. The lip almost feels shallower, it seems to fit my hand a little better, weird and probably psychological.

I haven't had a chance to throw them yet. I'm a bit excited about them and it's making work go by really slow.

I love mine I have 2 in the bag now. They do seem to be even more stable then the champion and mine are 167g star and they are more stable then my 172g champion

Comment

Hmmmm , that's almost bad news, because most of the champion Bosses have been a little too stable for my taste. At least the star plastic will beat up a little easier.

Comment

How do they compare to Star Destroyers?

Comment

I find the destroyers much easier to flip over.

Comment

I am convinced my Star Destroyers fly farther than my Champion ones.
            Is this also true for the Boss ?

Those of you that have both in the same weight, can you tell me which one goes farther ?

Do you throw the Boss forehand, or backhand ?

Comment

From my observations, the star and pro destroyers are the bomb, the champion destroyer was a fluke and i gave that thing away fast. I had a first run star destroyer that flew like a dream, but it's in fountain hills now and whoever finds it is gonna love it... I throw 1 star and 2 pro destroyers now.
              From those who have the star boss, said it is better than the champion boss and easier to hold a line. I love my champion boss for headwind drives, want to get a star boss just to compare.
              The champ groove seems to be FUBAR so far but havent been able to throw all the speed 11-13 discs at same time on open field enough to make a comparison...

Comment

I throw both a lot and my Star Destroyers tend to go farther for me also. If I throw then both backhand they fly around the same distance for me the Boss may go a little farther, But if I throw forehand the Boss goes a lot farther then I can throw the Destroyer. No idea why that is but thats what happens for me.

Comment

When it comes to distance in an open field it all depends on the throw for me. I throw valkeries and orcs farther than anything in a field.

I like the boss for big hyzers, low window drives, and big skips. I threw my boss a couple times down at the Memorial when I wanted a big skip. It must have skipped close to 200 feet down there with fast greens.

Comment

The mathematical perspective on why the boss is able to go so far on less power as opposed to the destroyer is that the rim has more weight in it than any other disc, so the force pulling the weight outwards keeps it spinning longer and faster since the majority of the weight is in the rims instead of sperad out throughout the disc itself like a roc or putter.
                    I was only able to throw my boss on holes 15, 17 and 18 at the fountain. 2, 3, 13, *should have 15*, 17 at VDC... However I didnt throw the boss everytime on all three rounds, boss can hyzer a little dangerously with it skip.
                    And yes, those fast greens were murder, had a wraith skip from the top of the hill all the way to the water on hole 2 on my 2nd shot. Thought i was safe with the 100+feet of room but nope...

Comment

Threw my two star bosses yesterday evening.

Both star bosses, 174 yellow and 173 blue, flew very similar. I can give them a good firm controlled snap and they will hold a straight line for about 300 ft then start fading for the next 100 or so. I feel like these are a bit less stable than most of the champion bosses I've thrown. It's hard to make accurate comparisons with innova's inconsistencies.

How they might compare against a Destroyer? I'd say they will be very similar with a minor improvement in speed. I think a beat up destroyer will hold a line longer. But I could be wrong, I'll have to see how these bosses fly after some use.

Overall, I really like these star bosses. They fit my hand much better than champ bosses, don't know how that's possible. At least one of these star bosses I just bought is going into the tournament bag right away.

Comment

If they are less stable, I might have to get a couple to try out. The Champions are hogs when thrown from my weenie arm.
                        ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                        ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Perhaps the Star Bosses are not made in the same mold as Champ Bosses...? Heck, it's Innova, the Star Boss might not even really be a Boss at all....?
                          Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                          Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                          Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                          Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                          Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

So from the askDave thread on the pdga forums, the lighter weight star bosses are MORE stable than the max weight. Just so you all know, if you don't read those boards.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
                              So from the askDave thread on the pdga forums, the lighter weight star bosses are MORE stable than the max weight. Just so you all know, if you don't read those boards.
                              Wow.
                              Thats interesting, but it defies the laws of physics.
                              Heavier weights are always more stable.
                              Maybe you could pull up that quote from Dave.

Unless you maybe read this and misinterpreted it.
                              Originally posted by DaveD.
                              The new Star for long range drivers like Bosses and Destroyers has a different blend that allows for lighter weights and more stability at those lighter weights.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X