X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for a new disc

i am looking for advice on purchasing a mid-range driver. i have always been an innova thrower but am open to new avenues. currently i have an champion eagle and a star tl for mid-range purposes. both weigh in the mid-170's. for some reason both are wildly inconsistant (or i am). i am looking for something reliable that i could throw 200-300 feet. currently considering a gazelle, leopard, or cheetah but am open to opinions. any suggestions?

Leopard or Teebird, my two current favorite "fairway" drivers.

Or learn to throw a roc well, but I don't know your game, it is generally what I would use in that range.

Comment

A Tracker is like an awesome Leopard, but it's hard to call it a fairway driver because it wants to go so far....
      Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
      Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
      Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
      Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
      Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Originally posted by black mamba View Post
        i am looking for advice on purchasing a mid-range driver. i have always been an innova thrower but am open to new avenues. currently i have an champion eagle and a star tl for mid-range purposes. both weigh in the mid-170's. for some reason both are wildly inconsistant (or i am). i am looking for something reliable that i could throw 200-300 feet. currently considering a gazelle, leopard, or cheetah but am open to opinions. any suggestions?
        All fine choices IMO, but inconsistency with the same disc could be due to throwing mechanics (power, release angles, snap, etc). If your threw the TL 5 times in a field under the same conditions, would they be somewhat grouped together?

What is the disc doing (or not doing)? I can relate to the situation.

Comment

currently i have an champion eagle and a star tl for mid-range purposes. both weigh in the mid-170's. for some reason both are wildly inconsistant (or i am). i am looking for something reliable that i could throw 200-300 feet. currently considering a gazelle, leopard, or cheetah but am open to opinions. any suggestions?
          Champ Eagles and Star TLs, while not necessarily the right discs for everyone, are good, reliable discs. It may be that there is a better disc for your needs, but it sounds you might also be better off trying to address what is making your throws with them inconsistent. So...

When you say inconsistent, what do you mean? Distance, turn, fade?

Comment

i am probably overthrowing the tl. it weighs 171. more often than not the disc violenly snaps over and does not come back (s-turn) traveling maybe 275. a previous tl was wonderful... a go-to disc that i could throw 350 no sweat. anytime i try to take a bit off it (70%) power the disc fades and doesn't do much. is is possibly a lemon?

Comment

i am probably overthrowing the tl. it weighs 171. more often than not the disc violenly snaps over and does not come back (s-turn) traveling maybe 275. a previous tl was wonderful... a go-to disc that i could throw 350 no sweat. anytime i try to take a bit off it (70%) power the disc fades and doesn't do much. is is possibly a lemon?
              Have your tried throwing the TL with a little more hyzer to it? Or maybe release the disc at a little higher angle? Definitely sounds like it might be too light or due to the wearing in of the disc.

I've really improved a lot over the last year and found myself in similar situations. Usually I try to get the same disc in a heavier weight by a gram or two and decide between which two to throw depending on the shot needed.

Comment

yeah, thinking a bit heavier.

Comment

if your up for some discraft the buzzz is a great mid. its made in every plastic and they'll all fly the same. its really straight and will hyzer out a little at the end. the esp or flx will stay flying the same for the longest.
                  A par is not a bogey.

Comment

i throw comets from 150-350 range. it will really test your form but its an aw awesome disc for that range.

Comment

No, no, no... the man said the right disc in his OP and no one picked up on it.

Get a Gazelle. And then tell everyone how much they suck (so we can keep them all to ourselves!)
                      ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                      ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

If you're turning over TLs, you can try a Teebird. Same disc, slightly more stable. I haven't thrown a Gazelle in years. I can't even remember what they fly like.

Edit: If you're looking for a disc that won't turn over as much, forget the Cheetah. Probably the Leopard, too.
                        Last edited by dan; March 12th, 2009, 07:59 PM. Reason: extra thoughts and spelling

Comment

Originally posted by dan View Post
                          I haven't thrown a Gazelle in years. I can't even remember what they fly like.
                          I call it my Long Roc. Turn it over and it holds it's line with a slight return. Throw it with hyzer and it keeps hyzer all of the way. Throw it flat and it flies straight. Forehand, backhand. It does what you put on it as a good disc should. I've only thrown KC Pros, though, and those are harder to find as they are not made anymore. I have had the same one in my bag for far too long and just added another 6 months ago. That reminds me... MICAH! You owe me a KC Pro Gazelle!

But seriously... they suck.

I agree with the Teebird idea and also agree that both the Cheetah and Leopard are flippier than a TL and will only add to the issue.
                          ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                          ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Eh, new star leopards are actually pretty stable for a fairway driver. I was throwing one to test it out 400 pretty much dead straight without turning over a couple weekends ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
                              Eh, new star leopards are actually pretty stable for a fairway driver. I was throwing one to test it out 400 pretty much dead straight without turning over a couple weekends ago.
                              You'll be surprised at how all these so called flippy discs are not so flippy when thrown with a stiff wrist and proper form.
                              Not ripping on any of you (or saying i have proper form because i don't) but i remember when i thought i flipped everything (brand new tee-rex x max weight) before i realized i'm not as big arm as i thought and was breaking my wrist over upon release.
                              You want a example of good form watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdX2OJ3E3vM&fmt=18 .
                              Barry throws hyzer bombs with a leopard nice and smooth.
                              not sure what he threw in the video.
                              For what its worth.
                              Mat
                              Not as creative as keys

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X