X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good drivers for wooded areas

I was playing at pier park the other day and found that if I wasn't careful my buzzzes and teebirds would sail up to the height where they were more likely to hit branches. Aside from keeping my release point low and the nose down, what fairway driver would be ideal for wooded courses with low ceilings? I have a banshee which has less lift than either of the aforementioned discs but it's quite overstable.

I imagine something stable, less glidey and flexible but durable would be perfect.

You want something MORE glidey if you want it to stay in the air without getting much height.
    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

A Teebird (or most likely a TL) is the perfect disc. If thrown correctly it will stay straight without much hyzer at flight's end.
      So I think in your case it's more a matter of form than disc selection.

I throw a 165 TL straight as an arrow. It's really improved my game. Now my putting, that's another story...

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
        You want something MORE glidey if you want it to stay in the air without getting much height.
        Wha?! What exactly is the definition of glide then?

Comment

Think of glide as "How slowly the disc drops over a given distance". More height will obviously allow it to go further, but a disc with good glide just drops a little slower.
          "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

I think of glide as the time a disc spends between the high speed turn and the low speed fade, when it's found it's height and line. You could also call it "time in cruise mode."

Comment

Star Dart.

Comment

Glow leopard. Sidewinder. Or just throw lower and straighter... Hahahaha!!! Friendly sarcasm! Not being a real live jerk... this time...
                "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Just when I felt like I had a good handle on the physics of disc golf, this talk about glide comes along! Thanks for giving me the breakdown, still not sure I completely understand. Imagine two hypothetically identical discs - two cobras for example - 4/5/-2/2. Say you could make some change to one of the discs that altered only its glide rating, holding all else equal and resulting in a 4/2/-2/2 disc. Then say I have a robotic disc throwing rig that I set to throw the un-altered cobra out to 300 feet. If I load the altered, less glidey disc in and throw it with the same settings, how will the flight characteristics differ?

On a different note, I do have an r-pro dart that I might try out.

Comment

• TYVEK
                    TYVEK commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ok, so your altered "less glide" disc would not reach 300 '. it would hit the ground sooner because it doesnt have as much glide as your original disc. the more glide a disc has, the longer it will stay in the air. glide will not cause the disc to gain altitude. the best example of glide in my experience is the Innova Teebird. its not a fast disc, it doesnt have a super wide low profile rim, but it stays in the air a hell of a long time!! in one of the USDGC dvds, ken climo threw a Teebird aproximately 425' and landed within 10' of the basket. 425' is pretty impressive with a high speed driver to most disc golfers (uber pros excluded of course) but to get that distance with a fairway driver??!!! THATS GLIDE!!!!

the one disc that i carry in my bag that outglides most of the other discs in my bag is my Meteor, it will stay in the air forever. it is a thing of beauty!

I use an Archangel for the tight fairways at Stub Steward.

Comment

I just picked up the prodigy F7... MONEY STRAIGHT!... R-Pro Dart is a great control mid

Comment

midranges are always good for control... squall or stalker i find to be better than teebird...

Comment

Milennium JLS or an MVP Amp.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                        Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X