X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Innova Star Atlas mid range disc

I just got my hands on this bad boy this morning. Its overmolded star plastic which makes it kinda like MVP plastic. The center plastic is nice and soft while the outer ring is a thicker, and hopefully tougher, star plastic. Its supposedly just like the Innova Shark, just slightly more stable in flight!!

Numbers are 5, 4, 0, 1
    here is Innovas web page for the disc
    http://www.innovadiscs.com/home/587-...-approved.html
    Hukin since 1992
    DGOD #115

let us know what you think and how you like it

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
      let us know what you think and how you like it
      yup that's the plan. I'm gona go out in the morning with the video camera and take some test flight shots!!
      Hukin since 1992
      DGOD #115

Comment

This disc is very neutral and does what you want, and slows down really fast at the end of its flight, so not a lot of glide. I tried hyzer and anti-hyzer shots throwing RHBH. Give it some anti and the disc will stay turned. The disc will keep a nice hyzer line as well, for shots of about 250ft. On a crush drive, 300ft+, the Atlas will need some hyzer, throwing RHBH.

I also threw some LHFH flick shots and found that the disc is really easy to turn over when throwing side arm. Unfortunately I forgot to try a flick roller shot ;-)

My opinion is that this disc is great for 250ft shots and under. It has a nice predictable flight pattern, nice and neutral with a little glide and a hard drop off finish, throwing RHBH.

When throwing side arm the disc is easy to turn over/flippy. Perfect for shorter darting type flick shots. It also has a nice drop off pattern for 40-70ft lofty turn over flick shots.

Here is a short video, first throw RHBH.....

http://youtu.be/2SKgVr_SWQU
        Hukin since 1992
        DGOD #115

Comment

There is a Japan Open version here:
          http://www.herodiscusa.com/japan-ope...ase-atlas.html
          Hukin since 1992
          DGOD #115

Comment

I have found that this disc doesn't like to be over powered. It works wonders as a finesse thrower, throwing back hand or side arm.

Also it does really well as a flick roller, that over mold keeps it rolling!!
            Hukin since 1992
            DGOD #115

Comment

Got one with scrip from Huk Lab @ WDO, threw it a few times, instead of my ESP buzz. It is a 180, but doesn't feel that heavy. It did nice turnover RHBH, holding a little longer than my buzz; also slight hyzer release, stands up and goes straight, getting a little more glide than buzz or roc (yes, I throw both). I parked 2 holes during 1 round (260-280ft range). The comparison to a shark seems pretty accurate. I like the grip of the rubberized edge, but the rivet design seems like it could be prone to failure (I did hit a tree pretty hard with no visible damage). So far, I am impressed with this disc and it has found its way into my bag!

Comment

I have tortured my atlas, 5 full power drives that hit tree straight on, from about 20ft out. The disc makes a funny sound, and so far has not cracked. I give it about a month before it brakes..
                Hukin since 1992
                DGOD #115

Comment

Seems gimmicky! I'll stick with my Rocs - tried and true

Comment

Update: So I found out the sweet spot for this disc. Dont throw it like a golf disc, throw it like a catch disc, I.E. like a whamo!!
                    I know it sounds funny, however I did get an ace with it yesterday, hole 15 red at white river. I then hit the basket 2x today, but got kicked off.
                    The Atlas does not like to be thrown hard, not at all. That said, this disc will give you the best shots you can throw, just throw SOFTLY!!
                    This disc is now a perminent resident of my bag, even if it brakes, I will get another...

Hukin since 1992
                    DGOD #115

Comment

I have several of these and decided to throw one across the yard and it seems to fly dead straight. I throw with a little hyzer release rhbh and it flips up a little and goes pretty much on a one-way ticket to straightville.
                      WHEN I GROW UP I WANT TO BE A SPIDER BITE.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                      Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X