X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putter Help!!

I have been playing disc golf for about a year now and I would say all aspects of my game are coming along nicely.......except my putting.

At the moment I am doing most of my putting with my 180 R-Pro Roc. I really like it because it has a consistent flight path and I can control it very well. I also like the fact that it has a little bit of bite to it so that I can throw it hard and not have it flip over. I do have a putter, a 150 DX Birdie but I don't like it at all. It is way too light for me and it always fades to the right even if I barely throw it.

A lot of people have said that the dart is a good putter but I can't seem to get mine (167 R-Pro) to work very well. It seems like it always turns over and fades to the right (RHBH).

I've been looking into the Rhyno and Pig because they have the same turn and fade as my Roc. I've also heard that the money by ABC discs is good but I haven't had a chance to throw one.

Any advice on any of these putters, or others that you recommend, would be greatly appreciated!

175g DX Aviar
    "I love it when a plan comes together" -John 'Hannibal' Smith

Comment

I would recommend a wizard
      unless you want something really over stable then I would say a zone
      whatever you get, get 175g or more
      this will help

Comment

Originally posted by The Ombudsman View Post
        175g DX Aviar
        I have thought about getting an aviar but there are so many different kinds that I wouldn't know which one to get!

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
          I would recommend a wizard
          unless you want something really over stable then I would say a zone
          whatever you get, get 175g or more
          this will help
          I'm not looking for anything extremely overstable, but not too understable either. Just enough to come back if I throw it with some anhyzer.

Comment

People can say all kinda things but just keeping trying different ones until one works for you. I'm a big believer that putting is a "feel" thing. And when one feels right you'll know it.

BTW I use DX XD's

Comment

Threads where somebody asks for putter advice are always the same: You'll end up with a hundred different responses and everybody will swear that the putter they use is the shit.

Try a bunch. Find some cheap in a used bin. Borrow spares from a buddy. Keep trying stuff until you find something that works.

You may well end up with multiple putters. I have three: A very flippy floppy JK Aviar that I use for all putts about 25' and in, a more overstable Yeti Pro Aviar for longer putts, short approaches, and windier conditions, and a very overstable Sinus for longer approach shots.

Comment

Putting is all about being consistent regardless of what disc is in your hand. First and foremost you want to find a mold that is comfortable in your hand, that fits your hand well. If it's not comfortable to throw you aren't going to be consistent. Then comes the question of your putting style, different styles require a more over/understable putter. Then distance of put plays a factor as well. It's really not a question of what putter you should use. For me I have 3 molds of Avairs in my bag, Beadless DX, Jk Avair, and a very firm KC Pro Avair. The mold fits my hand very well, each putter has it place depending on the shot, and they all fly differently.

So walk into a store that sells discs if this is an option for you, feel the putters in your hand, don't worry about the mold, or company they come from, when something feels good. Be it rim depth, or how soft/firm the plastic is, try it out!

Comment

Thanks for all of the advice! I would love to be able to go into a store and just buy some putters to try them but I feel like that would cost quite a bit of money. That being said, I will look at how some feel in my hand and try it that way. And I will be sure to try some aviars since it seems like that is what about everybody uses.

Comment

Originally posted by jshryr View Post
                    Thanks for all of the advice! I would love to be able to go into a store and just buy some putters to try them but I feel like that would cost quite a bit of money. That being said, I will look at how some feel in my hand and try it that way. And I will be sure to try some aviars since it seems like that is what about everybody uses.
                    Since you are from Salem. Go in and ask Roger at Tiger Discs if he has any putters in the "test fly" box. If not be has a ton of putters in the shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcw5378 View Post
                      Since you are from Salem. Go in and ask Roger at Tiger Discs if he has any putters in the "test fly" box. If not be has a ton of putters in the shop.
                      I actually went in there today and roger recommended the judge by dynamic discs so I picked up one of those and am probably going to try it out this evening!

Comment

Originally posted by jshryr View Post
                        I actually went in there today and roger recommended the judge by dynamic discs so I picked up one of those and am probably going to try it out this evening!
                        I'll jump in and say hello, also from Salem and have a putting setup in my backyard and about 6-7 different putting discs for when folks visit the Hawgfarm. I'm on the south end Lancaster area and we could probably work out a time if you wanted to swing by and throw a couple of them.
                        Steve

Comment

Practice and stick with that judge for awhile and I bet you'll like the results...Your starter set of a Roc (a great midrange DRIVER of course) and a 150g Birdie really aren't "putters" in the conventional sense and even though the Dart can be useful, it's really intended more as long putt/upshot disc. So yeah, lotsa good/different putters out there, but just having the Judge as your first true putter should help gauge which direction you might wanna go next. As others mentioned, having a wind-fighting putter isn't a bad idea for short putts as well as upshots and maybe even as your main putter if that's what your mojo is feeling...
                          PDGA 42602
                          Chainbangerz DGC #32

Comment

Originally posted by hawgman View Post
                            I'll jump in and say hello, also from Salem and have a putting setup in my backyard and about 6-7 different putting discs for when folks visit the Hawgfarm. I'm on the south end Lancaster area and we could probably work out a time if you wanted to swing by and throw a couple of them.
                            Steve
                            Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll just keep practicing with my Judge

Comment

the putter will be a main point in your bag for a very long while, you should pick a good set of 2-4+ putters regardless if your still learning how the discs fly in your bag or your a seasoned player.
                              As far as I can say, id start with a gateway putter, they make a unbeatable set of putters no matter what anyone thinks. They make a good selection of putters with very good plastic blends. Hard, soft, super soft, & super stupid soft.
                              I putt with two soft zero sinus' and 2 zero spikes. I also use the soft x challengers and focus', Discmaina p1 and p2 as well. Its all up to what feel the most comfortable to you.
                              Prodigy and Innova are also an option for putters.
                              I say use what works. My best suggestion would be to trade and borrow if you can, so you can get the feel of the disc in use.
                              Last edited by Big Red; August 3rd, 2013, 11:07 PM.
                              Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up to the roof and gets stuck - George Carlin

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X