Tee Pads, whats too small? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    today we got some more of them done
    here is a few more pics

    look out for sucker box's
    ones that point slightly off center of the intended hole design
    ^^^^this happened on #3
    too many tree roots to fight with
    I will fix it when we get to building the real pads

    Comment


    • #17
      here is a look at a couple more

      the basket on #4 is 20' directly behind the big-ass stump

      these temporary Pads will work good for a while, until I am sure what I am doing

      the small logs help give it a better feel for where its going to be
      and just a thin layer of gravel will keep them from getting muddy

      Comment


      • #18
        Here's what it says in the PDGA Course Guidelines:

        5. TEES: Hard surface tee pads of textured cement or asphalt are preferred. Preferred size is 5 ft wide by at least 12 ft long (1.8x3m). Maximum size is 6 ft wide by 18 ft long with the back end flaring out to 10 feet wide. If you need to conserve materials, make tee pads shorter on short or downhill holes and longer on long holes. For example, a hard surfaced tee pad at the top of a hill on a short hole might only need to be 8 ft long because most players will just stand at the front edge of the tee to make their throws.

        Comment


        • #19
          Hey Matt,

          Is yours a crossing fairways spiderweb layout or a progressive non overlapper? I'm guessing its like most, so it's likely overlapping. It would be incredible if it was regular progressive. That takes a chunk of land. I think it was amazing that Scot fit 18 separates on his 10 acre at Dalaiwood.

          If its a heavy overlapper, then one would figure that max safe player field (for invite parties) would be like two or three foursomes? Thats not too many people. And those invite events are likely to be occasional, so it might mean that the layout will mostly be played by you, plus Allison, or another guest or two.

          That means less feet and Low traffic, so do whatever you want and what you think will work for you. Pick some prime tees for concrete if you're up to it, especially if you have a circular loop that you play a lot for training. But you might find gravel holding well for the limited use on some of the others.

          Use by you for a year equals about the abuse you'd get on a public course in a week!

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by WestsoundBT View Post
            Hey Matt,

            Is yours a crossing fairways spiderweb layout or a progressive non overlapper? I'm guessing its like most, so it's likely overlapping. It would be incredible if it was regular progressive. That takes a chunk of land. I think it was amazing that Scot fit 18 separates on his 10 acre at Dalaiwood.

            If its a heavy overlapper, then one would figure that max safe player field (for invite parties) would be like two or three foursomes? Thats not too many people. And those invite events are likely to be occasional, so it might mean that the layout will mostly be played by you, plus Allison, or another guest or two.

            That means less feet and Low traffic, so do whatever you want and what you think will work for you. Pick some prime tees for concrete if you're up to it, especially if you have a circular loop that you play a lot for training. But you might find gravel holding well for the limited use on some of the others.

            Use by you for a year equals about the abuse you'd get on a public course in a week!
            right now some of the fairways cross, a couple of the hole are pretty good, but a couple of them kind of have a "safari golf" feel (this is the wrong basket for this Tee)
            only just kinda using 1/2 the property, we cleaned out a lot of the scrub/junk trees and left the good/bigger fir and cedar, now I am working with whatever fairways showed up from that.

            also, when I get a couple more baskets built it will be better
            because I am only using 3 baskets right now

            once i get this mess cleaned up from what we have done, I can start moving to other parts of the property and really spread things out better (less crossing fairways)

            Comment


            • #21
              Thanks Matt,
              in other words... it will be a work in progress. A personal journey of sorts.
              may you never be done... because the building is the fun part!
              Enjoy the experience!

              Comment


              • #22
                it looks like it is coming along nice Matt. It's been a bit since I've been out to your place, but if you have a two person job that you need some help with, you've got my number.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by JDUB View Post
                  it looks like it is coming along nice Matt. It's been a bit since I've been out to your place, but if you have a two person job that you need some help with, you've got my number.
                  i still need to move that platform to the other cedar tree to get it trimmed up higher

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by matt View Post
                    on some of the holes, I am also not exactly sure where I want the Tee Pad

                    so.... I figured I would just build a temporary/test Tee Pad, on #1 to try a 10' x 5' out
                    now that we have been playing 6 holes for a while, i am pretty happy with a few of the Tee Pad locations, and the 10' X 5' size

                    so today i thought i would try an experiment on #1 and #2 Tee Pads

                    i made some 2" x 4" forms, and filled them with 5/8"minus gravel-mixing 1 and a 1/2 bags of cement into the top 2 inches
                    making some concrete-ish stuff on the cheap

                    we will see how well it works

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I'd worry about removing the forms, should the gravel come out the sides they will be quite brittle.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Bruce View Post
                        I'd worry about removing the forms, should the gravel come out the sides they will be quite brittle.
                        They are going to stay
                        This is a 1/2 step above gravel filled boxes

                        Comment

                        Announcement Announcement Module
                        Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X