X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putters

I feel pretty comfortable with my current selection of mids and drivers but I am not a big fan of my putters.

I've got an aerobie arrow, a DX Aviar P+A and an R-pro Dart.

The arrow flies like a rock, I don't like the way the Aviar feels in my hand (too deep a rim, too angular on the rim) and it seems like the dart is really more appropriate for laser approaches at around 100'.

I have tried a couple that I like out at courses and I want to pick a new one up. I tried a Lat64 Mercy and a Gateway Voodoo - what are the differences in the gateway putters? People seem to recommend Wizards a lot and it sounds like the Magic has a more shallow rim (which I might appreciate). The voodoo is the only one I tried but I liked it.

The mercy seemed pretty similar to my Aviar but I felt like I was getting a more consistent release and flight with the Mercy.

In particular what I seem to prefer is a shallow rim, smooth edges, gummy feel and lots of glide. Can I get a rundown of some good putters? I want to end up with two putters that compliment eachother; a gummy straight flying putter for sinking shots from 25' and a more durable overstable putter for driving and predictable approach shots from 100'.

I have tried so many putters over the years but always stuck with my R-pro Dart. After they break in more they have that gummy feel as do most soft putters. I would recommend figuring out your most comfortable putting style and then find discs that fit your style. I also like the Soft Banger GT from discraft. The Vibram Ridge is a decent overstable putter you can get hard or soft and can be a driver putter like the R-pro ( I drive my R-pro 250-300')

Comment

what i have found that works really well for me is to carry two different molds of putters. one for throwing and approaches and one for putting, like 50' or less.

i used to only carry one mold for the longest time, i tried different putters over the years and i am pretty confident what i have works great for me. i use a Westside Swan for my upshots and throwing, and i use Quest AT crossfire for my putting. the crossfire is just dead straight and is a very solid feeling disc and hits the chains hard. the swan is much more finesse driven, it has a bunch of glide and will hold whatever line its thrown on. it hits the chains more softly and is very gripy when it hits the ground so it doesnt go very far if you miss.

hope you will find your "perfect" putter(s) one day.
      Team HOSER:dancing:
      Team OLY:cheerleader:
      Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

Spikes and Pures

/thread

In all seriousness, it took me about 5 years to fall in love with one putter mold and in that time I tried 30 different molds probably. Keep looking and find what works for you. Good luck
        "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
        Cleveland Brown

Comment

I am a whore for the Aviar PnA which you obviously do not like - I throw STAR and DX but do most of my putting with the STAR, though I am looking at the new McPro Aviar PnA as well. If I was going to change putters I really like the feel of the Mercy from Lat 64 and Disc Mania version of the Aviar (I forgot the name of it)- slight bias there I know. If I was going to throw the D word I would throw a Magnet - soft for putts inside the circle perhaps though they do get quite flimsy when hot. My over stable putter is a Champion Rhyno - it's over stable enough to handle some power but also has no glide so it dies and usually sits right where I want it. People complain of the Rhyno's roll away potential which it can do but I don't feel like it's a problem for me.

I won't disagree with General Scales because those do seem like good discs. When I was flip flopping putters frequently I noticed that I kept going back to the Aviar PnA and I realized that was the one for me which it might not be for you. Good luck in your quest.

Comment

Rhyno, broken in is better than brand new, nice and slow, flat rim, never goes to far past if you miss, good in the wind.

I use a regular putting motion inside 30'. Outside 30' I stand sideways to the basket, almost backwards, and throw with a little bit of anhyzer and my rhyno will S curve to the basket and if it does not go in it will land flat as a pancake, even on slopes, it might slide a few feet thats it.

Comment

Go to a shop or a van or a wagon that has a large selection of molds. Feel all the putters. What feels right usually is. Buy three of the same mold in the same weight and color. You can put all three in your bag or just one. I have three putters in the bag that I use evenly so they beat in consistently together. You will need to use the same mold to practice with if you want to become a decent putter. If you are throwing a different mold that flies different your putts will all be different. Consistency is key. Keep your equipment and your practice consistent and your game will follow, hopefully.
              Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

OK great advice so far. Am I on the right track thinking an OS durable putter would be good for approach shots? I already have a damn RPRO dart that goes straight but it seems like something with some fade like a Rhyno would be nice for getting out of trouble and approaching around trees.

Comment

For an overstable putter for approch shots I use a star xd just cuz it will never turn over even in windy conditions but a gator will probably be your best guess for an OS putter

Comment

DGA Breakers are really nice overstable putters, Discraft Zones as well. So is a Latitude Sinus. So is a VP from Vibram.

Once again, I will say this, it doesn't matter what any person on this thread will say to what is a good disc for putting and approaching. Putters are the one disc that you need to determine what you like by feel. You could get a thousand different responses to your question and not one of them could be what you like. Then you get stuff like putt with a Gator (which is an overstable mid) and other random things like that. Go fondle as many as you can, find the one that feels right and try that.
                    Cleveland Brown

Comment

rhino
                      tank
                      xd
                      pure

Comment

Originally posted by General Scales View Post
                        DGA Breakers are really nice overstable putters, Discraft Zones as well. So is a Latitude Sinus. So is a VP from Vibram.

Once again, I will say this, it doesn't matter what any person on this thread will say to what is a good disc for putting and approaching. Putters are the one disc that you need to determine what you like by feel. You could get a thousand different responses to your question and not one of them could be what you like. Then you get stuff like putt with a Gator (which is an overstable mid) and other random things like that. Go fondle as many as you can, find the one that feels right and try that.
                        Exactly right on, find what fits you and your style

Comment

golly, i feel really lucky that i found a good putter fairly early on in my quest...

the general is correct... no one can tell you what is right and wrong in a putter... i used to really judge people who didn't putt with aviars... and then i realized that it's sort of weird that i like r-pro aviars, so who am i to judge?

i would recommend checking out the xd if you don't like the deeper rims... i use my xd if it's really windy to putt with, but otherwise it's just an approach disc for me... it might suit your purpose, also, for those 100' approaches and getting around trees and stuff... you've got to throw them with touch (you can't be a one-speed golfer and find success with an xd) but they will do what you want them to do by the angle you put on them... annie, straight, hyzer... if you have touch. they really are a fantastic disc. it would be my "if you could only have one disc" disc. the new mold sometimes is a little domey, which i don't care for, but you can find flat top ones, too... usually the oranges and yellows are pretty flat... but i found a really pretty grape hubba bubba colored flat top the other day...

good luck in your quest.

also, if you just keep changing putters because nothing is working right... i hate to say it, but it's probably that you just need to practice...
                          "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                          Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Originally posted by emmarose View Post
                            golly, i feel really lucky that i found a good putter fairly early on in my quest...

the general is correct... no one can tell you what is right and wrong in a putter... i used to really judge people who didn't putt with aviars... and then i realized that it's sort of weird that i like r-pro aviars, so who am i to judge?

i would recommend checking out the xd if you don't like the deeper rims... i use my xd if it's really windy to putt with, but otherwise it's just an approach disc for me... it might suit your purpose, also, for those 100' approaches and getting around trees and stuff... you've got to throw them with touch (you can't be a one-speed golfer and find success with an xd) but they will do what you want them to do by the angle you put on them... annie, straight, hyzer... if you have touch. they really are a fantastic disc. it would be my "if you could only have one disc" disc. the new mold sometimes is a little domey, which i don't care for, but you can find flat top ones, too... usually the oranges and yellows are pretty flat... but i found a really pretty grape hubba bubba colored flat top the other day...

good luck in your quest.

also, if you just keep changing putters because nothing is working right... i hate to say it, but it's probably that you just need to practice...
                            I have a few Champ XD's laying around that I'm sure would make great approach and off the tee style putters. I got them on a whim, threw them in a field a couple times and put them away in the closet . Somebody will want them some day
                            Cleveland Brown

Comment

I just picked up a gateway wizard, 170ish grams in the organic plastic. Also a SSS voodoo (bright hot pink schwiiing!) I traded a couple drivers for them. I held onto the dart and aviar; maybe one day I'll warm back up to them. Thanks for all the advice folks!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X