X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you could pick your prize

What kind of prizes do people like to see out of a disc golf tourney? I want to set up a charity tourney and I know that some of the draw for any tourney is the prizes and swag. Any ideas for a good balance of inexpensive but desireable?
    Last edited by Doc_Jones; March 25th, 2013, 10:35 PM. Reason: corrected spelling.

An item I enjoyed getting at a charity tournament was a pound of coffee. (there are plenty of coffee drinkers) Find a local roaster and see if they are willing to donate or sell at a reduced rate for bulk purchases.

Comment

Good call

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_Jones View Post
        What kind of prizes do people like to see out of a disc golf tourney? I want to set up a charity tourney and I know that some of the draw for any tourney is the prizes and swag. Any ideas for a good balance of inexpensive but desireable?
        In my experience TD'ing charity events, people will show up and donate gladly, and the more you can offer, the more they will show up and donate.

No reason to limit yourself to anything - it's all good. The obvious stuff like disc golf gear, beer, gift cards. Any merch from local to the course businesses, or any local businesses. Ask players to thank the sponsors online or in person - it makes it easier to come back the next year and ask again.

I wouldn't limit yourself - ask anyone and ask a lot for whatever they can give. Explain what you are asking for, and offer them sponsorship benefits whether it is tee signs, mention on the flyer, mention at the event, banners, etc.

Comment

As your prizes get more widespread and taste specific consider...

Utilizing a prize table for selections, or consider groupings on tables. Or dividing up the prize selections into areas.

For example, at a recent such event there was a raffle draw with low cost tickets for purchase, but the event came with a few starter ones included with event entry so everyone there was "in". Some of the prizes were age protected items, and some really taste specific. Your raffle tickets were able to be placed for the groupings you were most interested in (or age eligible for) Kept us out of awkward positions with minors from the start.

It's true that as a group of disc golfers, the only one thing we for sure for sure have in common is disc golf. Thus, why most prizes tend to be disc golf related to have the widest appeal. Other stuff can work and gladly accepted if you work the event with a smile and good nature.

The other way to maximize random stuff is with true Door Prizing. Door prizes are always considered BONUS, and not an earned prize, so even a box of lucky charms is welcomed with a smile (and ribbing from friends). Of course be gracious and careful with age protected products here with door prizes

Comment

These are all great ideas. I can't wait to actually play some of the doubles and maybe some other pickup games here and there. My goal is to actually fill a full course shotgun start scramble tourney. Ideally I would love to pull off a foursome set followed by a doubles set, but one thing at a time. This forum is an incredible wealth of information and seems to have a good core of people. I honestly wasnt expecting to get this much response this quickly.

Comment

So it looks like I may actually get a massage therapist to donate an hour massage, and hopefully set up a table to do 5 minute shoulder massages on site. This could very well become epic!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
              Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X