X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• -230 deg f?? Ever wonder??

So we have a deep freezer that goes to -230 deg f at work. I wonder what would happen to a disc after i left it in the freezer over night?
    Hukin since 1992
    DGOD #115

It would get cold.
    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

It would freeze to your hand, unless you used gloves. If you managed to throw it while it was still really cold, it would probably shatter.

Comment

You need to do this. You know, for science.

Comment

When I was 10 my brother and I played catch with a "Masters" frisbee on frozen Lake Winnebago while ice fishing. It hit the ice on the vertical and snapped in half.

Therefore, I support both the "it would get cold" and "it would shatter" hypotheses.

Please report your findings and please be careful.

Comment

I'm gona leave it in the deep freeze for 8 hours, then let it return to room temp. this will be an unthrown disc, just to see if the flight pattern gets changed from an unfrozen one..
            Hukin since 1992
            DGOD #115

Comment

It will probably rearrange the polymers to not have any imperfections on a molecular level so it will become indestructible like Captain America's shield. Probably.

[edit]Get the Cpt. America dye on the disc before you do this just to be sure.[/edit]
              We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

Originally posted by Parks View Post
                It will probably rearrange the polymers to not have any imperfections on a molecular level so it will become indestructible like Captain America's shield. Probably.

[edit]Get the Cpt. America dye on the disc before you do this just to be sure.[/edit]
                Its funny that you say this as I worked at a shop that would deep freeze the propellers for racing boats, using liquid nitrogen, so they would hold up to the high rpm stress......makes you wonder right
                Hukin since 1992
                DGOD #115

Comment

While you are in that deep freeze, be sure to put your tongue on something metal to see if it would stick at that cold of a temperature. I don't think it would, but please confirm.

Comment

Mikk, are you going to bring his deep freeze disc to White River tomorrow? Looking forward to playing there for my first time and I'd like to see this experiment in person :-)
                    "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                    Cleveland Brown

Comment

Ok well this was a bad idea. I let the disc sit for 8 hours at -230 f, then let it return to room temp over night. I took it out for a test drive this morning, hit a tree and the disc shattered!!! So the deep freeze messed with the plastics ability to absorb impact! Oh well dont freeze your plastic!!
                      Hukin since 1992
                      DGOD #115

Comment

Noted. I will not put my discs in my -230F freezer.
                        Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Pictures or it didn't happen!

Comment

Originally posted by Mikk View Post
                            Ok well this was a bad idea. I let the disc sit for 8 hours at -230 f, then let it return to room temp over night. I took it out for a test drive this morning, hit a tree and the disc shattered!!! So the deep freeze messed with the plastics ability to absorb impact! Oh well dont freeze your plastic!!
                            I certainly would not call it a "bad idea", it was an experiment and you answered your question about "what would happen if i deep freeze my disc". the results might not be what you had hoped for, but thats how experiments go. it is good that you were able to start and finish your experiment, and now we all know what will happen to discs if they get to cold.

now your next experiment should be to see what the precise temp is that alters the plastic. you sacrificed a disc for the sake of scientific knowledge, take heart that your loss will help us learn something new.
                            Team HOSER:dancing:
                            Team OLY:cheerleader:
                            Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

Unfortunately The kelvinator deep freeze cools to -230, so no way to try like -100f. We do have liquid cO2, but i dont know if the direct contact to plastic would burn/melt it.
                              Hukin since 1992
                              DGOD #115

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X