Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't see it here, but for right around $30, you can go to Sports Authority or Big 5 and the like and pick up an Innova starter set. 150 weight DX leopard, Shark, and Aviar P and A...

just my .02

Comment

Originally posted by DGShawn View Post
      I didn't see it here, but for right around $30, you can go to Sports Authority or Big 5 and the like and pick up an Innova starter set. 150 weight DX leopard, Shark, and Aviar P and A...

just my .02

yeah,

I found this set for $24.99
      http://www.sportsauthority.com/produ...:referralID=NA

This INNOVAŽ DX Starter Set includes the Leopard fairway driver, Shark mid-range, and Aviar putt-and-approach. It's a great way to get started in the fun sport of disc golf.

but I'm gonna hold out now for the ones that Bryan has offered.

I was just told about a shop near me that specializes in Disc Golf http://www.dalaiwood.com/pro_shop.htm
      but they are small and have limmited hours.
      Last edited by KrautBurner; November 5th, 2011, 06:08 AM.

Comment

That's what she said...

Originally posted by emmarose View Post
        don't go max weight yet... but also, probably don't be huckin' the 150's... also, stay away from the faster discs and stick to some basic stuff... if you want to throw something that looks cooler than the old dx plastic (which i think is easier for beginners to throw) i would recommend star plastic... i always tell people to try a valkyrie for a driver but i will now also say teebird as i have developed a new little love affair with the teebird...
        I completely agree with Emmarose on starting off with a Valkyrie, or similar slightly understable disc. When I started playing a couple years ago I was having trouble with basic consistency, throwing a huge variety of hyped up "just released!! state-of-the-art!!" drivers. I was trying to start at the top in regards to powering high-speed, overstable drivers down the range (which would fizzle at 200' and meathook into the woods). I do not consider myself a noodle-arm, but eventually had to face the reality that I was not going to waltz into the sport throwing a Nuke or Katana 500'. BTW, you can strain/tear a pectoral or bicep over-doing it as I found out the hard way. I came to realize my Valkyries were landing a good 50' further than the rest, and were staying in the middle of the fairway and with less effort. So I stockpiled many in different plastics and weights, settling on 3 identical Champion Valkyries at a safe 171 grams. That gave me the opportunity to work on mechanics and consistency, and "tune" my body to the disc, rather than trying to get the disc to do something it's not made to do, lol. While my bag has expanded to include some nifty overstable drivers, I still depend on my Valkyries for most straight drives around 300+/-.
        For a Midrange, there's too many options so skip all the hoo-hah and get a couple Rocs. Any plastic. Rocs.
        Putter-searching can be a whole other story to find "the one". And then to find the practice/backups for "the one".... Wait. I may be over-complexifying a fun sport! That's it, remember above all else to have fun!!
        Hope any of this helps you on your way, and good times to you!

Comment

Oh, no he didn't...

Originally posted by motordisc13 View Post
          over-complexifying
          Yes, he did. haha...

Comment

thanks guys,

honestly, I wasn't gonna go out and buy anything in particular, probably the 3 disc set like the one above

but for now,
            I'll hold out for the help from a fellow disc slinger
            and go from there.

Comment

I wish that I could go back, buy 3-4 varying weight Buzzz's, and 3-4 putters and learn from scratch.

I try to go to the field every day, and I only ever bring my mids and putters, until I can throw the Buzzz 300' I do not think I will throw anything faster....

Comment

Originally posted by KrautBurner View Post
                yeah,

I found this set for $24.99
                http://www.sportsauthority.com/produ...:referralID=NA

but I'm gonna hold out now for the ones that Bryan has offered.

I was just told about a shop near me that specializes in Disc Golf http://www.dalaiwood.com/pro_shop.htm
                but they are small and have limmited hours.
                This would be a great beginner set. I wouldn't bother with anythign faster than that Leopard.

Comment

thanks guys,

honestly, I wasn't gonna go out and buy anything in particular, probably the 3 disc set like the one above

but for now,
                  I'll hold out for the help from a fellow disc slinger
                  and go from there.
                  Hey Russ,
                  I sent your package towards Bremerton today. Enjoy!

Pro D Magnet
                  DX Roc
                  DX Glow Valkyrie

Comment

A few free discs from someone on the forum will be a great way to get started. When you want to buy some plastic you will do a lot better picking discs up from Dalaiwood or Chainbangerz since they have way, way more selection than a big box store and people/players there that can actually tell you about what you are buying.

Comment

Originally posted by bryan_luoma View Post
                      Hey Russ,
                      I sent your package towards Bremerton today. Enjoy!

Pro D Magnet
                      DX Roc
                      DX Glow Valkyrie

Thanks Bryan,

they came in the mail on Saturday,
                      I got out with them this afternoon. Went to the NAD Bremerton park and played 4 holes with a friend (we shared the discs, took turns with the driver and mid range (one for each hole)) we played the first 4 holes, I got a 4, 3, 4, and 5 (the 4th hole, we determined we were shooting at the wrong basket, and changed direction (probably costing us both a toss)

I had a very good time and look forward to getting out more. The only issue I had was on the way out, we were throwing the discs down the road (on the way to the parkinglot) and I hooked hard left and the disc went way into the rough (a nice thick low spot full of Blackberries, Ferns, Leaves, and lots of MUD). It took the two of us nearly 5 minutes of climbing around in that hole to find the red disc in the leaves.

as long as I can find the time to get out more, I see this being something I'll really enjoy.

Russ

Comment

du-uude!!!

you really are a newb!

don't throw your plastic on a road on purpose ever...the pavement will just chew it to pieces...
                        "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                        Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Originally posted by emmarose View Post
                          du-uude!!!

you really are a newb!

don't throw your plastic on a road on purpose ever...the pavement will just chew it to pieces...
                          not really a road,

but a path
                          dirt path, covered in leaves
                          no different than the fairway

Comment

not really a road,

but a path
                            dirt path, covered in leaves
                            no different than the fairway
                            phew.

... but, still...
                            "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                            Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                            Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X