Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• <~~~ NEWB WTB: Beginner gear

Hello All,

my name is Russ, I'm new to the sport.
    so new, that I've never actually tried it.
    I live in East Bremerton (and work in Seattle)

I've realized there are several courses (free) in my area, two of each are within walking distance of my home.

I'm very curious about trying Disk Golf out, but am weary of investing much into the sport untill I am confident that I will be able to find the time to enjoy it.

I'm looking for a basic used set (3-5 disks) maybe a bag, marker, etc...
    Originally posted by my friend
    I recommend that you get a putter, like a Magnet or something. For a midrange, you should get a Discraft Buzz-D. And for drivers, you should get an Innova Eagle and a Roadrunner. From there you can experiment as your game improves.

let me know what you have and how much.

Russ
    East Bremerton

Welcome to the game! I have two boxes full of used disks in the garage that I have retired for one reason or another.
    Many of them have a lot of life left. I'd be happy to send you a few for free if you just want to give DG a whirl on the cheap.
    PM me your address if interested. Beware of lifelong addiction ahead.

Comment

thanks,

PM sent

Comment

Originally posted by bryan_luoma View Post
        Welcome to the game! I have two boxes full of used disks in the garage that I have retired for one reason or another.
        Many of them have a lot of life left. I'd be happy to send you a few for free if you just want to give DG a whirl on the cheap.
        Nice deed Bryan.

Comment

and while I don't have the spare plastic to send, I second the three disc choices you were given; Magnet (go soft), Pro D Buzzz, (stay at or below 170g), and a Roadrunner (again stay under 170). Having played this sport since it inception your best bet will be fewer, lighter discs. This will help you focus on correct form, with a modest amount of success. Have fun, welcome to this crazy addiction.
          'J' Man
          educate your thinking

Comment

Originally posted by JMan View Post
            and while I don't have the spare plastic to send, I second the three disc choices you were given; Magnet (go soft), Pro D Buzzz, (stay at or below 170g), and a Roadrunner (again stay under 170). Having played this sport since it inception your best bet will be fewer, lighter discs. This will help you focus on correct form, with a modest amount of success. Have fun, welcome to this crazy addiction.
            'J' Man
            You say at or below 170...

I'm a big guy, shouldnt i have a BIG DISK?

Comment

Disc....................

Disk

Most people on the course throw the first one.

Welcome to the forum, interesting name you picked.

Comment

Look, one of the lessons that seems to take noobs (no offense) years to figure out is to match disc weight to arm strength. You're a big guy, cool, but you are training your body to huk correctly. The big part of that is not about power as much as it is about control...throw correct first, power will come, and while you train those muscles to throw from memory, and build them, throw lighter, cheaper grades of plastic. You'll be able to experience how a disc breaks in, when you turn it over too much then think about adding a few grams. See even the vocab is new...start slow, work to balance power and control, and most important...correct form, form, form.

It gets easier after the first decade, or 1 million throws, whichever comes first...
                educate your thinking

Comment

yes!

Originally posted by bryan_luoma View Post
                  This is indeed cool, and this is how addiction starts:
                  1. give their first sample for free, hook 'em then
                  2. jack up the price
                  also good karma, when I first started, someone gave me a rattler and a Cyclone, which i loved until losing it on #18 at Terrace Creek. ah, fond memories
                  "good ol' Roc, nothin' beats that!"

Comment

Originally posted by captain jack View Post
                    Welcome to the forum, interesting name you picked.
                    Thanks,

it's a Play on rice burner http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...=rice%20burner

but I was always more into German Cars (VW, Porsche, Etc...)
                    currently own no German vehicles, only 3 American V8's totaling 18.8L (1151ci), 1100HP, and 1300+ Tq
                    as well as an average fuel economy of about 15mpg

Comment

Look, one of the lessons that seems to take noobs (no offense) years to figure out is to match disc weight to arm strength. You're a big guy, cool, but you are training your body to huk correctly. The big part of that is not about power as much as it is about control...throw correct first, power will come, and while you train those muscles to throw from memory, and build them, throw lighter, cheaper grades of plastic. You'll be able to experience how a disc breaks in, when you turn it over too much then think about adding a few grams. See even the vocab is new...start slow, work to balance power and control, and most important...correct form, form, form.

It gets easier after the first decade, or 1 million throws, whichever comes first...
                      no offense taken,

I figure there is a ballance between power and accuracy (kinda like Golf with BALLS)

I just thought it would be fun to mention how I would like a bigger Disc (to impress the Ladies)

Comment

I wish i would've had someone to tell me this when i started. Very good advice.

Comment

Originally posted by KrautBurner View Post
                          no offense taken,

I figure there is a ballance between power and accuracy (kinda like Golf with BALLS)

I just thought it would be fun to mention how I would like a bigger Disc (to impress the Ladies)
                          Please play disc golf once before you make ball and dick jokes.

Otherwise, welcome and good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by KrautBurner View Post
                            no offense taken,

duly noted.

not terribly impressed...

seriously, tho, don't go max weight yet... but also, probably don't be huckin' the 150's... also, stay away from the faster discs and stick to some basic stuff... if you want to throw something that looks cooler than the old dx plastic (which i think is easier for beginners to throw) i would recommend star plastic... i always tell people to try a valkyrie for a driver but i will now also say teebird as i have developed a new little love affair with the teebird...
                            "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                            Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Originally posted by emmarose View Post

seriously, tho, don't go max weight yet... but also, probably don't be huckin' the 150's...

also, stay away from the faster discs and stick to some basic stuff... if you want to throw something that looks cooler than the old dx plastic (which i think is easier for beginners to throw) i would recommend star plastic... i always tell people to try a valkyrie for a driver but i will now also say teebird as i have developed a new little love affair with the teebird...
                              thanks,

at this point, I'm not too worried about what the discs look like,
                              just wanna try getting out there

hopefully I'll run into some patiant players that don't mind throwing some pointers my way.

if all goes well,
                              I may ask "Santa" for some cool new discs for Christmas
                              (once I have an idea what I really want)

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X