X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 175 Innova DX Destroyer

I am looking to trade my Destroyer for a lighter distance driver. I want something with good speed but around a 150 weight. I am still beginning and this 175 is just too heavy for my throws. I took it out this morning for 9 holes at Pier Park, other than that it has only been thrown in a field for practice.
    Disc golf ruined my life.

Nevermind, I traded it in at Next Adventure.

Comment

If you're a beginer you really shouldn't be throwing destroyers of any weight. It's not really that it's 175 that are having troubles. It's how over stable it is that's causing you problems. I made that mistake too. If you like innova plastic you should find a teebird or a leopard. They will be much better for you at this point in your game.
      My favourite putter is my driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad_from_BC View Post
        If you're a beginer you really shouldn't be throwing destroyers of any weight. It's not really that it's 175 that are having troubles. It's how over stable it is that's causing you problems. I made that mistake too. If you like innova plastic you should find a teebird or a leopard. They will be much better for you at this point in your game.
        I totally agree. A valk or arch angel both work well for new players too.
        "What's in the bag", pdga #37977, dgcr #356, **Team Chainbanger'z**

You are never really playing an opponent. You are playing yourself, your own highest standards, and when you reach your limits, that is real joy.
        -- Arthur Ashe

Comment

Everyone's first disc should be a Stingray, and it should be GIVEN to them.
          Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
          Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
          Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
          Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
          Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

I agree with TreeLove. Stingray and Avair were my frist two discs, followed by a dx gazelle.

Comment

150g Leopard is a great beginner's driver, and it stays useful as you get better. (So do the super-understable Stingrays and Stratuses, of course.)
              Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I have a Leopard, I actually have 2 to practice my throwing. I was hoping to get some more distance with the Destroyer, but as you all pointed out it was too heavy. I am 3 blocks from Pier so that is most of what I have been playing. I know that it is a pretty difficult course, but it still feels weak driving with a Leopard on those holes. I did go to Greenway and Lunchtime today which boosted my confidence.
                Last edited by mrDROCK; March 1st, 2010, 08:34 PM.

Comment

I think you missed the point. It's not too heavy, it's too over stable. If by chance you don't know what that means: a perfectly stable disc would fly straight and flat the whole way, an understable disc will have the tendancy to turn to the right if thrown flat before finishing left, and an over stable disc has a tendancy to turn left. All an over stable disc wants to do is make it's way to the ground, whereas an understable disc wants to stay in the air a bit.

As a newer player you're probably throwing with a lot hyzer right now. That means you're throwing the disc tilted to the left (assuming right hand back hand). Well a destroyer is just going to make that even more pronounced and dive straight to the ground regardless of it's weight. It's what the disc is designed to do (beat destroyers and hyzer flipping is a whole other thing all together). So what you want is understable plastic. It's going to fight that hyzer edge on your throw and turn (or stand up) and fly straighter longer. That's why we're suggesting discs such as the leopard or stratus or archangel etc.

Your limited distance isn't because of your leopard. I can throw my leopard 350-375 with no issues as I'm sure many others can. It's the fact that probably don't have a lot of snap yet, and a high speed over stable disc will not help that, if anything it will hinder it. If you want a faster disc with a little more stability in it than a leopard etc. I would suggest maybe picking up a beast or an Orc.
                  My favourite putter is my driver.

Comment

Okay, I understand where you are coming from now. Thanks for the help. I will keep my eyes open for those discs when I get paid and I will keep practicing with my Leopards.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                    Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X