X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nonsense

MANY small and mid-sized towns have laws requiring bands to pay for increased police and security, if deemed necessary by the mayor, police chief, etc. The Grateful Dead had to do that OFTEN in the late-80’s, as their reputation scared the shit out of small-town America. Sam, I don’t know in which direction your musical tastes lie, but I think it’s a safe assumption that you have seen shows in which some of your ticket money has gone toward this exact type of thing. To say that Phish is purposely persecuting their fanbase for drug use doesn’t make a whole lot of sense from any perspective… considering the fans, and Trey’s own proclivity for imbibing now and again… and again… and again.

Comment

Were there ever any major drug busts at any Grateful Dead shows? Having just read Captain Tripps - Jerry's biography - I can safely answer that there was not.
      “I believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know — Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, that’s in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, I’ll know I’m a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? I’m not sure, but it’s possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.”
      ~Annika Sörenstam

Comment

That right there is a ridiculous statement... but ignoring that for a minute, the zeal with which a police force goes about it's duties, and who foots the bill for those duties, are two vastly different things.

And, with all due respect, maybe reading A book about Jerry Garcia doesn't make you an expert on the Dead.

Comment

Speaking of ridiculous statements... care to make any that aren't? Haven't seen you capable of this yet, actually.

If I foot the bill for police and they come to my party and arrest my guests, I am an asshat - just like Phish now is.

And who in the heck said anything about being an expert on the Dead? I asked if there were ever any major drug busts - anything even close to what Phish paid for - at any of their shows. I know that there were not. Were there arrests for drugs? Of course. Was there anything approaching $1.2 million in value? Uh... no. You can call this a ridiculous statement and I will merely consider the source of this judgment and smile.

Seriously... being a willfully-blind apologist for anything is rather pathetic. Perhaps a little objectivity will help you to see why people are upset that the band paid for their fans to get arrested.

Good luck with that.
          “I believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know — Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, that’s in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, I’ll know I’m a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? I’m not sure, but it’s possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.”
          ~Annika Sörenstam

Comment

I think all I was saying is that Phish probably had a choice to pay for police or not do the show... I think that 99.99% of the people who went were happy with their ultimate decision.

$1.2 million sounds like a huge number. When it comes to drugs, it's not. If you want to adjust for 30 years of inflation, I think you'd not find the comparison between arrests at some Dead shows that far off the mark.

Your comparison of that show to your houseparty is far from apt in a million ways. If you had the choice to throw a houseparty with law enforcement, or not throw one at all, you'd dissapoint four people, and have no effect on your livelihood.

The Dead DID pay for law enforcement... the result, be it $1.2 million, or fifty cents, is immaterial to your argument, which is that Phish are assholes for agreeing to pay at all.

I like reading your posts Sam, because they are usually pretty eloquent, but that doesn't change the fact that you enjoy shit-stirring for the sake of the smell...
            Last edited by BlarneyStoner; March 27th, 2009, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Buttering me up will get you... well... everywhere, really.

But come on... I could get more than 4 people to show up to my party. That just hurt...

With the number of people who got arrested at that show, I do not think that 99.99% of the people at the show were happy with their decision. 194 * 10,000 = 1,940,000. I don't think that Phish has that many fans let alone that many that were at the show.

It's funny because I went to Google to search for "arrests at Grateful Dead shows". The second result was about the Phish show we are talking about.

Don't get me wrong. I understand that Phish had no choice but to pay the police or not play. Still... the whole thing just plain stunk.
              ~Annika Sörenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                Still... the whole thing just plain stunk.
                Having been on the wrong side of those bars before, I'm the last person to disagree with that statement...

I should probably be a little more objective about it, but I think if you had the history with the band that I do, you might be a little less.

Off to Long Beach for some clam diggin'...

Comment

Sam, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that you're probably in opposition to the drug war? I'm sure you've read up on all the ridiculous aspects of it, and one is the amount that law enforcement jacks up the value of their drug busts to make the war seem like its being more effective than it is. I don't know what the formula is that they use, but it's always something off the chart, along the lines of "take the estimated value, multiply by 5, cube that, add two zeros, and we'll call that the 'street value'". That 1.2 million figure should be taken with a grain of salt.

In any case, I've said my piece. I was out golfing all day so didn't get a chance to swoop on tickets. I'd still like to go if I found tickets at a reasonable price, but I'm not too worried about it. I've got my ticket to String Summit, and I'm stoked!
                  Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                  Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X