X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cherry Hill DG Course reconfiguration

Club Officers have okayed committing some significant $$s to the course reconfiguration at Cherry Hill in Coeur d'Alene, in partnership with the City. Initial work may begin within days, subject to approval from the City Parks Dept. Work will be broken down into several phases, and done incrementally so numerous small work groups can undertake specific tasks at varied times. Let it be known to a Club officer (Ben Squires, Scott Wardian, Jack Wardian or Kris Cummings) if you are willing to pitch in, and what your availability is. If you want to organize a small group to work together, we can acommodate that and will coordinate what tasks you can undertake and what materials need to be provided at the proper time and place. The goal is to have the new course playable by next Spring. I will be acting as the liaison between the Club and the City Parks Dept. staff.

I work mostly nights and weekends, so if anyone wants to do a work party on a weekday morning/afternoon, PM me.
    Whenever I see a matress on top of a car, I think it's a prostitute making a house call!

Comment

I am interested in doing whatever I can to make that course better. I have only seen some preliminary idea's at changing the course. Is there anyway to get a full lookout at what is going to be done to this place?
      "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
      Cleveland Brown

Comment

Cherry Hill plans

I've got a copy of the updated course map from the City. You can see it at Rapid Fire. I can describe in more detail what work is planned, but it might be a good idea to have an informational meeting with a Q&A session. Ben?

Comment

Work party this weekend

Ben Squires and helpers got things started this past weekend by moving dirt to level several tee pads. The Club plans to begin setting railroad ties this coming weekend, Dec. 2 & 3. I ordered 100 railroad ties today, to be delivered Friday at 10 a.m. Ziggy’s will drop them at the turnaround up by the water tank. For those who are available on Friday, we can begin moving railroad ties to their approximate locations on the course. Will need someone with a pickup to move small batches of ties from the drop site to as close as we can drive to each tee pad. From there it will be a matter of hand transporting them. I plan to bring a hand truck and some straps for that purpose. I would like to begin setting starter ties at one or two tee pads on Friday, so will bring the appropriate tools: pick, shovel, drill, sledge hammer, rebar stakes, level. Main work on Friday though will be just moving railroad ties to the various tee pad sites. Bring gloves. I plan to work a couple hours on Friday. Others can continue longer if they wish.
          Saturday I plan to be there at 9 a.m. An extra hand truck or two would be helpful, plus ratchet tie-downs to fasten ties to hand truck. A pickup or two would be needed to move ties, and a chainsaw to cut them. Tools we could use more of would be picks, shovels, sledge hammer, level. Would like to get all the railroad ties distributed, and hopefully the starter course of ties placed at each of the 10 new tee pads (#3, 4, 5, 6, 11, 12, 13, 15, 17, 18). That is Phase 1 of our plan and would be a significant accomplishment. If we happen to have a stupendous turnout and get all that done, we could even begin Phase 2 – building up the railroad tie frames to finish leveling the new tees and get them ready for backfill.
          Would be helpful to know who to expect, so if you know you can make it, please email me and let me know approximate time(s) when you will be available to help (rapidfire3@roadrunner.com). Still need a generator so we can run a drill at each tee pad site. It will be a lot more work if we have to take each tie down to the main parking lot where we have an electrical outlet for running the drill.

Comment

Hey Big Red, any chance we could borrow your generator for this? I live in the Valley and could swing by your place and pick it up as long as you are cool with that.

Comment

Work update

Yesterday I walked the course with 3 reps from the City of CdA Parks Dept: Monte, Bill Greenwood, and Karen (the City Forester). They had a number of adjustments to our requests for tree removal and brush clearing, but overall agreed to the majority of it. Too much detail to go into it all now. Will post more next week. The City has offered to provide all the fill dirt and crushed rock we need, and some equipment to move it to tee pads. We are fortunate to have a very good working relationship with the City.
              Today the Club had Ziggy's deliver 68 6x6 Pressure Treated timbers. Ben Squires, Kris Cummings, Brian Johnston and I worked a couple hours and moved most of them to the various tee pad sites. Tomorrow when we have a pickup available, the City will have a rep there to allow us to drive onto the course to move the timbers for tees #5, #3, and #17. Ben and I marked starting layout for timbers on 4 holes. Will finish the others tomorrow while volunteers begin work on those 4. Got a lot done with 4 people today. I'm anxious to see how much we accomplish tomorrow. Ben and I plus a few others will be there at 9 a.m. Join us whenever you can.
              Last edited by Rapid Fire Jack; December 2nd, 2011, 07:35 PM. Reason: added thought

Comment

Today's Accomplishments

Ben Squires once again led the charge and was joined today by myself, Cody Hixson, Chris Chase and Geoff Carr. We got two new tees formed up with timbers: #15 and #17. Ready for some fill dirt and gravel in the spring. I was able to borrow a generator from a friend at the last minute, so didn't need to rent one. Should be able to use it for future work parties. Now that we've got several people who are familiar with the plan, they can independentlty go out with small groups and continue the work. It definitely will be an extended process to complete it all, but will sure be nice when it's done.

p.s. will copy this post to the Disc Golf Courses, Idaho, Cherry Hill thread, and will report any future work on that thread. Will use this one just to announce upcoming work parties.
                Last edited by Rapid Fire Jack; December 3rd, 2011, 07:41 PM. Reason: cross reference to different thread

Comment

progress report

Next work party scheduled for this Wednesday at 1:00

Comment

Cherry Hill work continues

The window of opportunity has not yet closed due to weather, so there will be another work party this Saturday Dec. 17 starting at 9:00 a.m. We will have a generator again and will be drilling and fastening the timbers that have already been dug in and leveled at the various new tee locations.

Comment

CHill

i going to play C hill tomorrow w Jack B. at 12:30. Hope to see the new tee and pin location while were there.
                      Last edited by tomw; December 24th, 2011, 12:27 AM. Reason: it was snowing, so we played Corb

Comment

I am planning on being at the Cherry Hill work party tomorrow. I'll be there at 9(ish) and will stay until I have to go - not sure how long that will be. We start having house guests tonight so I can't spend all day out. Looking forward to helping out finally.

Comment

Last work party of the year @ C.Hill

We'll have a brief work party Saturday at 10:00 a.m. (12/31) to complete tees #16 and #18 at Cherry Hill. Should go pretty quick. Join us if you can.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                          Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X