Scotch Broom Removal at Keizer Disc Golf Course, 25 June 10 am Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotch Broom Removal at Keizer Disc Golf Course, 25 June 10 am

Scotch Broom Removal at Keizer Disc Golf Course

Hey All,

This Saturday we will commence with Operation Scotch Broom Removal at Keizer Disc Golf Course.

We are going to rip them out, cut them down, and stack them high.

If you have haven't heard, scotch broom is an invasive weed, and it taking over the whole park. They are blocking our fairways, and making it a pain to play disc golf.

The plan is to meet at the disc golf parking lot, divide into squads, and do battle on the fairways at 10 a.m. The battle plan will include fairways 11, 13, 14, 15, and 16. If we get that done, we can start on the black berries.

We need many hands to make this mission happen. Even if you can only give us an hour, your help would be much appreciated.

Hope to see you there.
    Bring your gloves, pruners, and loppers to do battle with the scotch broom.

Chris M

Keizer Greens Keeper

If your club doesn't have one already, you might consider investing in a Weed Wrench. We bought a heavy duty 60" model years ago for the Lakewood course here in Seattle and we've pulled a ton of Scotch Broom out (by the roots) with it. It works well to have a few people with loppers cutting back the branches so the weed wrench can get in to the base of the main stalk. I love this tool for attacking Scotch Broom!

Comment

Originally posted by ericedge View Post
      If your club doesn't have one already, you might consider investing in a Weed Wrench. We bought a heavy duty 60" model years ago for the Lakewood course here in Seattle and we've pulled a ton of Scotch Broom out (by the roots) with it. It works well to have a few people with loppers cutting back the branches so the weed wrench can get in to the base of the main stalk. I love this tool for attacking Scotch Broom!
      I've seen those around the internet. Most of the info pages say to use one.
      Seems to be the long term solution to removing scotch broom.
      I need to ask the club for the money to buy one or two of those.

Comment

Originally posted by Vector_2008 View Post
        I've seen those around the internet. Most of the info pages say to use one.
        Seems to be the long term solution to removing scotch broom.
        I need to ask the club for the money to buy one or two of those.
        At steilacoom we were able to get them from the parks dept.
        so you might want to contact them to see if they have any for you to use
        they are the best tool for the job
        We all should take better care in our courses

Comment

Originally posted by Discgolfingkilmers View Post
          At steilacoom we were able to get them from the parks dept.
          so you might want to contact them to see if they have any for you to use
          they are the best tool for the job

I already asked Keizer Parks last week. They don't have one and they don't know where to borrow one.
          Keizer is real limited in the parks area because of budget constraints.

Comment

How did this work party go? How is the course looking?

I haven't been back in a while as the place was just too overgrown to play and have a good time. Please tell me that that has changed.
            ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
            ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
              How did this work party go? How is the course looking?

I haven't been back in a while as the place was just too overgrown to play and have a good time. Please tell me that that has changed.
              We had 6 people show up. We worked on the fairway of 16. That had the largest block of scotch broom on it. We removed a large portion of that block. You can almost see the basket from the tee now. It is the longest hole on the course.

I think it is fine course to play, but you need some control to place your shots. The disc deflection off of trees is the why most people lose a disc here or they can't see where their disc is landing. Bring a group and use a spotter.

Comment

Last time I was there, about a month ago, I was more concerned with poison-oak than scotch broom.
                Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X