Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lakewood Redesign Breaking Ground!

From the Chainbangerz Disc Golf Club news letter:

"Tomorrow 4-23-11 Saturday I will be out at Lakewood around high noon doing some digging for the new tee pads and benches going in. I will have a bobcat to do the heavy stuff, but if any of you feel like helping with the smaller stuff that would be AWESOME. Could use all the help any can offer. As the map shows above, the first 3 holes will not interfere with play,as we work on forming them up for concrete,but by next week existing # 14,15 & 16 will be getting a complete makeover. In case your planning on playing just be aware. And please spread the word to those who may not be getting this newsletter. Some of you that have been out there may have noticed the obnoxious flourecent orange spraypaint around some of the tee pads and behind or beside the pads. These are the just lines marking the shape of things to come. Specifically where the new tee pads are getting formed and the new benches are getting shaped up.So...... The concrete trucks will be rolling in on Tuesday 4/26 Wednesday 4/27 and Thursday 4/28 next week. They will be ready to pour the first 6 teepads and benches, So I'll be there Sat 4-23 at noon, Sunday at 2pm,and Monday at 9am. I will be in the lower parking lot with the bobcat on all those days, I will also have extra shovels,pick axes and rakes for all who are willing to give a hand. Any help is mucho appreciated. Sorry for super last minute notice."
    Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

From the Newsletter:

"This week MAY 3rd,4th and 5th there will be a series of work parties from early morning (10am) to early evening (7pm). I will have plenty of shovels,rakes,and pick axes. The goal is to start forming up the next 6 tee pads and benches.Diggin some dirt up and taking out old pads and benches.
    I will try to have doughnuts and coffee in the morning and lunch with ice cold beverages in the afternoon. If enough people come out and we really can get some work done then I can justify throwing down some $ to boost the morale. Plan on meeting in the lower parking lot. If you don't see anyone we will be on existing hole #12,13,and around the beach for 2 new holes and near existing hole #7,& 8 if we get that far. Come on out and be a part of disc golf history, personalize the course you play. How cool is that when your playing a round to say, yup I helped with this tee pad. Look I put my own sweat into this. You would be amazed at how good it feels to play a round once you have put some time into making the course you play a better one. The appreciation level goes up quite a bit even if you put a little time and effort into it. So, come on out if you can. Tell as many people that you can to come on out as well, all the cool kids will be there. Seriously though,any and all help is always greatly appreciated. Thank you."

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

I'd like to make it down to help out, but alas, I'm stuck at the ol' McJobby Job. I did manage to swing down and check out the new pads and benches this weekend too--looking awesome. One of my friends told me they should be the new standard for tee pads and benches, and I'm inclined to agree.

I took a couple pics of the new pad for what's currently #14 (note new #1 in the background):

It's a little dirty, but I tried to get the texture down too:

And for anyone that's curious (I know I was), here's what the new Lakewood is going to look like:

I'm liking the looks of it, especially with the practice basket by new hole 1 (where the putting contest for tourneys happens) and the future concession stand.
      Last edited by Tim; May 2nd, 2011, 09:57 AM.
      Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Wow, this is really exciting!! I will be there to help on Tuesday, and probably on Wednesday as well. Will also try to get the word out... just sent a text message out to fellow dg'ers to inform them of the work parties...
        Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

Comment

Awesome, thanks Toby! Also Tim thank you for the pictures, looks really good. I can't wait until the redesign is done, shouldn't be long with plenty of volunteers out there.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

The most recent email was very encouraging.

The benches will be "one of a kind"

I have noticed that Keith's hours are the only ones that regularly keep increasing. The list of new particpants fluxuates.

Fast track; Erick Illg and J Money, thanks guys

Now, I know lots of players have said " Just let me know when and I will be there".
            So!
            The when is today-lower lot "for sure 9-when done". Maybe again another Day (Kieth will advise) with crete to be delivered? by Fri!
            rewindb.com

Comment

The 'i' before 'e' except after 'c' rule doesn't always apply Jub...

I'm free for the first half of the day on Tuesday and Wednesday, so I could help out for a few hours on either day... hopefully I'll be able to get a few more recruits to show up this time.
              Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

Comment

Went to Lakewood DGC today to check out the progress and re-design. The new t-pads are awesome!! Super grippy! The stone benches are a nice touch as well, they blend in and give a nice natural look to things. I had a chance to talk with Keith and got some information that is important for everybody to know. Aparently a fellow named Johne @ kcha.org has decided to reclaim some of the property back into King county hands. This is after all the hard work and redesign talks Keith has been having with the parks dept. So it seems to me that mabe we should email this fellow and express our distaste to how they conduct business with the people involved in the work at Lakewood...
                Hukin since 1992
                DGOD #115

Comment

Originally posted by Mikk View Post
                  Went to Lakewood DGC today to check out the progress and re-design. The new t-pads are awesome!! Super grippy! The stone benches are a nice touch as well, they blend in and give a nice natural look to things. I had a chance to talk with Keith and got some information that is important for everybody to know. Aparently a fellow named Johne @ kcha.org has decided to reclaim some of the property back into King county hands. This is after all the hard work and redesign talks Keith has been having with the parks dept. So it seems to me that mabe we should email this fellow and express our distaste to how they conduct business with the people involved in the work at Lakewood...
                  I would talk to Keith about sending any emails before doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by vapor View Post
                    I would talk to Keith about sending any emails before doing so.
                    This is Keiths request. there is a sign posted on t-pad 6 with said information. I also talked directly with Keith and he asked that the email in question be flooded with emails
                    Hukin since 1992
                    DGOD #115

Comment

If you do decide to send email or call the key is remember you are representing all of us.

Food for thought
                      This concept of developing land for DG allows other more organized and FUNDED groups to benefit from our commitment. There is even a term "Multiple User" for this phenomenon. We as a group need to decide what if any Multiple users we are willing to accommodate. From the casual dog walker to the orienteering club.

Having to many landlords is always problematic. Lakewood has (well had) three. The school district, Health Dept and the Housing authority (I beleive they have rescinded our agreement and reclaimed there property).

Our greatest protections/exposure are Master Plans. By being included into the MP we are offered some protection but outside or not included in the MP we are subject to these types of unilateral actions with little to NO recourse.

Protect our investments and get DG onto the Master plan.
                      rewindb.com

Comment

I'm confused. They had to do the redesign because the housing development on the upper area of the park right? Then they just now started the redesign and now there is an issue with that? Do they have to redesign the redesign?
                        www.rewindb.com

Comment

I was polite when i sent my email. I asked that we could have more information from the other governing bodies concerning the re-developement of the park. Actualy what it sounds like is the parks dept. doesnt talk much with the housing authority. I'm realy shure that Keith had his ducks in a row when he began the talks with the parks dept. Jubner is correct when saying that involvement in the master plan for developing multi-use parks areas is most important. We all benifit from this. It realy stinks when 1 acting body does thier own thing AFTER all the effort Keith has and stil is doing. I dont have a clue about all the ins and outs of dealing with the local government, but I do know they are realy dis-orginized when more than 1 has a vested interest in a piece of land.
                          Hukin since 1992
                          DGOD #115

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                          Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X