X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BASKETS have come to Mason County.

Big Thanks to WSDGA, Scott Papa, and all of our sponsors for helping us make this happen.

Now we cashing on all those "Hey let me know when you guys are putting in baskets, I will come help." that we have heard in the last 8 months. So here it is the all call.

SATURDAY the 26TH of FEBRUARY at 9:00AM - 3:00PM we will be digging all the holes and doing some course maintenance at SHELTON SPRINGS.

The holes are for the baskets we may do a smaller more controlled work party to actually set the sleeves in concrete but we could really use help with the holes. If we get enough folks saying they will be coming to help then we will run a concrete team at the same time. The ground is tough digging so if you have tools like shovels, picks, and or digging bars please bring them with you.

If digging is a little to strenuous for you we still have a few minor course maintenance things that need to be done in preparation for the influx of players we are sure to have once the baskets are set, so bring a rake, or just a pair of gloves for clearing sticks and branches.

If you think you can make it please respond to this post as knowing the rough numbers will help us organize better, I don't want anybodies time wasted, lets get this course into tip-top shape for the upcoming season.

BASKETS!!!!!!!!!!!

NEWS FLASH!

MCDG has decided to pre-anchor our baskets based on the strong advice of some of our peers. This means a few things:

1: We will not need "post hole diggers", but please bring shovels, picks, and digging bars if you have any. The hole will be bigger but in a way maybe easier to dig. The small post hole with the rocks is tough but the bigger holes will minimize the impact of the rocks on digging.

2: There is a crazy chance we maybe able to play on Saturday, the concrete work is being done tomorrow so if we get the holes dug, anchors installed, AND receive our locks. It possible we might install baskets that day. NO PROMISES

Don't forget if your not a "digger", but still want to help, bring your loppers or a rake and help us put the finishing touches on the new hole 15. We will have light duty work available.
    Last edited by Skookum; February 21st, 2011, 08:42 PM.
    sigpic

See you on the 26th!
    A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

I wish I could help but this is the same day as Pretzelbowl!
      Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

well done. y'all be amazin' up there in mc...
        "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
        Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Rent a powered auger it will save your back and time. The cost of rental is worth the time saved and the consistency of the hole dug. I believe home depot rents them for like $85 for all day. At least check into it. You could cut holes and place collars in one day no problem with about 8 people.

Jerry Miller rented one when we put in the Trojan course and we had to go through some bedrock.

Sorry can't make it but thought this information might be useful!
          PDGA #25296
          Stumptown #34

Comment

count me in if someone in olympia or the nearby area has a seat open in their rig. a truck even better as i may be able to round up a digging bar or two

Comment

Originally posted by Flash View Post
              Rent a powered auger it will save your back and time. The cost of rental is worth the time saved and the consistency of the hole dug. I believe home depot rents them for like $85 for all day. At least check into it. You could cut holes and place collars in one day no problem with about 8 people.

Jerry Miller rented one when we put in the Trojan course and we had to go through some bedrock.

Sorry can't make it but thought this information might be useful!
              i will give this idea a HUGE SECOND!!!! this would be far more beneficial for time and effort than having people doing the digging. you would deffinately be able to get all the holes dug and collars installed in concrete on the same day if you were to use one of these augers.
              Team HOSER:dancing:
              Team OLY:cheerleader:
              Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

I wish...

Originally posted by TYVEK View Post
                i will give this idea a HUGE SECOND!!!! this would be far more beneficial for time and effort than having people doing the digging. you would deffinately be able to get all the holes dug and collars installed in concrete on the same day if you were to use one of these augers.
                I will try to respond to this without the tear full flashbacks.

We tried to dig the holes for the posts one of those nice big augers on wheels and in the end due to how the soil is composed it was faster AND easier by hand with a digging bar and post hole digger. The soil is loose and relatively soft but filled with large rocks (think 17s pro tee). Those augers are only nice if you don't have to remove them from the hole every 3-4 inches to clear rocks by hand.

Please believe if there is was power tool that would make this easier us Mason County boys would use it.(If only we could dig holes with chainsaws...)

It's amazing how much anger I still carry from that day... dragging that giant thing through the woods only to have to dig 75% of the hole with literally my bare hands. It's pissing me off justing posting about it...
                Last edited by Skookum; February 18th, 2011, 05:32 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skookum View Post
                  I will try to respond to this without the tear full flashbacks.

We tried to dig the holes for the posts one of those nice big augers on wheels and in the end due to how the soil is composed it was faster AND easier by hand with a digging bar and post hole digger. The soil is loose and relatively soft but filled with large rocks (think 17s pro tee). Those augers are only nice if you don't have to remove them from the hole every 3-4 inches to clear rocks by hand.

Please believe if there is was power tool that would make this easier us Mason County boys would use it.(If only we could dig holes with chainsaws...)

It's amazing how much anger I still carry from that day... dragging that giant thing through the woods only to have to dig 75% of the hole with literally my bare hands. It's pissing me off justing posting about it...
                  wow, didnt realize i would be bringing up such powerfull memories!
                  yikes, please dont send your therepy bill to me. anywho, this sounds like a excellent story for you to tell your grandkids when they complain about doing some sort of work. "you think thats hard, let me tell you kids about the time.............."
                  Team HOSER:dancing:
                  Team OLY:cheerleader:
                  Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

NEWS FLASH!

MCDG has decided to pre-anchor our baskets based on the strong advice of some of our peers. This means a few things:

1: We will not need "post hole diggers", but please bring shovels, picks, and digging bars if you have any. The hole will be bigger but in a way maybe easier to dig. The small post hole with the rocks is tough but the bigger holes will minimize the impact of the rocks on digging.

2: There is a crazy chance we maybe able to play on Saturday, the concrete work is being done tomorrow so if we get the holes dug, anchors installed, AND receive our locks. It possible we might install baskets that day. NO PROMISES

Don't forget if your not a "digger", but still want to help, bring your loppers or a rake and help us put the finishing touches on the new hole 15. We will have light duty work available.
                    sigpic

Comment

It's funny how so many people think we haven't thought of the auger Idea. Lots of people have asked me why we are not using one. I really wish we could but after using one for a few holes it was to difficult. The giant rocks bind it up and make you have to stop and move it to remove them over and over again. It was a battle I wont soon fight again. Digging them by hand is unfortunately the easiest way. =[ The good news is that we have enough people coming to make it easy on everyone. We will assemble the baskets tonight and if it all works out we may be playing the same day we set the anchors =].

Comment

Hows it looking up there, snow-wise? Is the work party still happening?

Comment

Good question, Lundy. I spoke to Morgan this morning, and he said that everything is still a go for tomorrow. The sun is doing a great job of melting the snow. And it seems that if their are enough people showing up, there will be discs flying into baskets by afternoon!

Comment

Yep, we are go for tomorrow. Everything is loaded up and ready to go, including baskets =]. Bring your mittens it's going to be a cold somebitch.

Comment

I have have 20 locks in my possession. We are 18 holes in the ground away from paradise (Pardon the possible overstatement but it will be nice to have baskets only 10 minutes away.). It will be cold tomorrow but clear so dress warm and dig fast. No sleep tonight for me....
                              sigpic

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X