Stub Stewart Work Party 07/19/09 Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Stub Stewart Work Party 07/19/09

    We will be working up at Stub Stewart State Park this Sunday 7/19/09 from 10 am to 1 pm. The work will include cutting in hole 8 & 9 to finish the front 9 holes. I spoke with Steve Kruger today as we looked at the land where 8 & 9 need to go and he is going to allow us to move 8's tee pad and fairway further toward the off slope from 7's basket area. We will need to flag a few trees for removal and remove some limbs to give a good clear idea for the ranger to look at.

    We will also be clearing some down limbs and debris and creating piles near 7's basket for the Rangers to bring in the Chipper and make us some ground cover!

    I also spoke with the Head ranger about qualifying people to run the gas powered weed whackers. He said that if you are qualified in the last year at Milo then all they need is Wally to fax over a copy of the training and you can operate the tools at SSSP, otherwise they will organize a training session for anyone else who wants to operate the powered tools on the course. Yeah no more hand sickle action!

    This is an impromptu work party and is not sponsored by Stumptown disc golf so you will need to bring your own lunch. If you have some free time on your hands come check out the course and help make hole 8 & 9 evolve!
    PDGA #25296
    Stumptown #34

  • #2
    Originally posted by Flash View Post
    We will be working up at Stub Stewart State Park this Sunday 7/19/09 from 10 am to 1 pm. The work will include cutting in hole 8 & 9 to finish the front 9 holes. I spoke with Steve Kruger today as we looked at the land where 8 & 9 need to go and he is going to allow us to move 8's tee pad and fairway further toward the off slope from 7's basket area. We will need to flag a few trees for removal and remove some limbs to give a good clear idea for the ranger to look at.

    We will also be clearing some down limbs and debris and creating piles near 7's basket for the Rangers to bring in the Chipper and make us some ground cover!

    I also spoke with the Head ranger about qualifying people to run the gas powered weed whackers. He said that if you are qualified in the last year at Milo then all they need is Wally to fax over a copy of the training and you can operate the tools at SSSP, otherwise they will organize a training session for anyone else who wants to operate the powered tools on the course. Yeah no more hand sickle action!

    This is an impromptu work party and is not sponsored by Stumptown disc golf so you will need to bring your own lunch. If you have some free time on your hands come check out the course and help make hole 8 & 9 evolve!
    I am moving this weekend but I'll try to make it. You should ask Steve about the lunch thing, I believe a motion passed providing lunch for member work parties.
    Proud member #20 of STUMPTOWN Disc Golf and the PDGA #30488
    Damn The Weak Side!!!!!!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Darr View Post
      I am moving this weekend but I'll try to make it. You should ask Steve about the lunch thing, I believe a motion passed providing lunch for member work parties.
      Yeah I think it needs to be requested before hand. I think in the future we will be able to have better forward planning and can make lunch happen. Maybe we can even have someone come out and cook for those that are working.

      I think after we finish the front 9 layout and we are working to make the course more playable we will do some bigger Stumptown supported work parties and maybe a bag tag on the object course.
      PDGA #25296
      Stumptown #34

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Flash View Post
        Yeah I think it needs to be requested before hand. I think in the future we will be able to have better forward planning and can make lunch happen. Maybe we can even have someone come out and cook for those that are working.

        I think after we finish the front 9 layout and we are working to make the course more playable we will do some bigger Stumptown supported work parties and maybe a bag tag on the object course.
        I unfortunately won't be able to make it this Sunday as it is my Grandsons 1st Birthday. For future work parties I've found that the amount of labor I can provide is minimal, but I would gladly be the cook.

        Mike, I also now have two of the 5 gallon Igloo Orange water coolers. Let me know if you need to borrow them.

        Bob

        Comment


        • #5
          Remember, we are meeting at the Hilltop parking Lot at 10 am!

          We are working on Holes 8 & 9!!

          Bring Gloves
          PDGA #25296
          Stumptown #34

          Comment


          • #6
            Kel Carver and myself will be there at 10. See you there.

            Comment


            • #7
              How did the work party go? What still needs to be done to get the first 9 playable? How about a Stumptown work party soon?

              Bob

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by "Over the Hill" Bob View Post
                How did the work party go? What still needs to be done to get the first 9 playable? How about a Stumptown work party soon?

                Bob
                It went pretty well. We got the fairways for 8 and 9 pretty carved out, but there is still a ton of debris to be moved off the fairways.

                Comment


                • #9
                  We had a smaller turnout today:

                  Thanks goes to:
                  Jeff Mittl
                  Kel Carver
                  Jeff Hagerty
                  Scott Hill
                  Derek Feltham
                  Me

                  We worked on defining hole 8 and moving the tee pad away from danger on the 7 fairway. We also cut the walkout from 8 to 9 tee area and worked on 9's fairway. We moved a bunch of debris on 7 & 8's fairways to a central chipping pile on 7's fairway. We also de-limbed all the trees in 8's fairway up to about 10 feet or so and cleaned up the greens for 8 short and long. We still have a lot of debris to move off of 8's fairway but we are hoping for a little help from the rangers. We think they can get the chipper down 8's fairway and chip all the branches in place. We de-limbed the trees on 9's fairway and cleared the teeing area. We have more work to do on this hole but we will need some help from Steve with a chain saw.

                  After everyone else took off I wandered back out to the course to put the basket markers in for holes 3, 4, 5 & 6. I will wait on holes 7, 8 & 9 until we can get the chain saw work done to clear up those holes better. So if you go out there now you can get a good idea of the first 6 holes. Next steps will be to clear more debris, which can go by really fast if we have more than 6 people. Also we need to work on cutting the vegetation on the fairways. Then we will put in some temporary gravel tee pads to play from as we work the course in.

                  Thanks again everyone for 4 hours of your Sunday!

                  I hope for a stronger showing from the west siders next time!!!!
                  Last edited by Scott; July 20th, 2009, 06:55 AM. Reason: Fixed typo in Derek's name
                  PDGA #25296
                  Stumptown #34

                  Comment

                  Announcement Announcement Module
                  Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X