X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dexter State Park Work Parties June 11th, 15th, 18th 4 PM

The baskets at Dexter will be temporarily removed on June 11th due to vandalism at the course. This is a decision of the Eugene Disc Golf Club and has been discussed at length in the other thread:
    http://www.nwdiscgolfnews.com/forum/...ead.php?t=1525

In the meantime we will be having at least three work parties at Dexter. Work parties are currently scheduled for Thur. June 11th, Mon. June 15th, and Thur. June 18th. Work parties start at 4 pm, come whenever you can. We did not schedule weekend work parties due to another Eugene work party on the 13th and the Midsummer Glide on the weekend of the 20th.

Tasks for the 11th include working on the steps on Hole 3, removing Scotch broom and other non-native weeds, and hauling bark chips and gravel to teepads, walkouts, and baskets. Bring tools and gloves if you have them. I will have tools and gloves available for the broom removal.

The sooner we get the work at Dexter done the sooner it will re-open. If you play at Dexter and want to see it re-open and stay open please come out and lend a hand! If more work parties are scheduled they will be announced here.

BUMP

Comment

Does anyone know what time the baskets are being pulled tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
        BUMP

UPDATE: Work parties still happening, same schedule, same tasks, same importance. The State Parks staff has not given final approval for temporary removal of the baskets yet so until they do the baskets will remain in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
          UPDATE: Work parties still happening, same schedule, same tasks, same importance. The State Parks staff has not given final approval for temporary removal of the baskets yet so until they do the baskets will remain in place.
          Thank you to the following people who contributed to a kick ass work party at Dexter today:

Rebecca Duffy
          Gene Fackler
          Jim Johnson
          Jesse Grasseth
          David Errington
          Ben VanDusen
          Ben's wife Sarah (who doesn't even play disc golf, I think)
          Marx Ramirez
          Marx's friend and Marx's daughter (sorry I didn't catch the names)
          Kevin Maloney
          Jory
          Kevin and Jory's friend whose name I also didn't catch
          Jason Turner
          Mark Scheid
          Zach
          Tom Chrestman and his weed whacker
          At least one other guy whose name I don't know

Sorry if I forgot someone, I am going from memory. We got all the scotch broom along 18's fairway removed, half of the broom along the road to 15 removed. A great gravel walkway from 15's tee, gravel on 6's walkway, mulch around several pins, and some more gravel and mulch work that I did not see. Probably some more stuff too. Tom weed whacked his way around the whole course. Great job everyone!

Next work party Monday June 15th. We did get final permission from the State Parks dept. to pull the baskets, and they support the idea. However, it appears the baskets will be staying in. There was some miscommunication and some wild speculation involved in this whole thing, and hopefully we can accomplish good things without the more drastic steps. Everything's cool, Dexter is getting some attention, and the State parks boss is very impressed and very happy with the time and materials the EDGC is bringing to the park.

See all you Dexter regulars Monday June 15th, and Thursday June 18th at 4 pm for the next two work parties.
          Last edited by Matt B.; June 11th, 2009, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Another Great Work party

Thank you to the following people who contributed to another great work party at Dexter today:

Erik "Buck" Smith
            Rebecca Duffy
            Gene Fackler
            Paul Mize
            Warren Hench
            Denny Borski
            Dan Lucachick
            Skipper Hamilton
            Ryan Cole
            Jason Turner
            Mark Scheid
            Ben VanDusen
            Sarah VanDusen
            Jesse Grasseth

Almost all the scotch broom was removed along the road to 15 and all the broom removed so far was hauled to the State Parks facility burn pile. Gravel work was done on 6,7,10,16,17. Bark mulch work was done on 7,9,10,16. Some tree limbs hanging on the teepad for 17 were trimmed, the walkout from 16-17 was delineated to one path, and other various tasks were accomplished by this hard-working crew.

The work party scheduled for Thursday June 18th has been postponed and will be re-scheduled. The State Parks ranger we are working with is on vacation and we need to meet with him about the work he wants done on the steps before we tackle that project. The course is looking great, and we will be having regular work parties the rest of the summer and leading up to the Eugene Celebration so stay tuned!

The State Parks staff is extremely happy and impressed with the work being done at Dexter by the EDGC and other volunteers at the work parties. They have been getting calls from people supporting the work and asking how they can help - so I'd say raising the alarm about course vandalism and considering the removal of the baskets has turned out to be a good thing after all is said and done.

There will always be naysayers, there will always be litterbugs, there will always be vandals writing on tee signs and damaging trees, but when we stay positive and pull together as a community we can accomplish great things!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
            Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X