• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flash
    started a topic Stub Stewart State Park Sunday June 7th 9:30 am

Stub Stewart State Park Sunday June 7th 9:30 am

Ok here is the skinny,

This is not a rumor anymore the course is a go, we had our first official work party and now the news is we received the approval on the grant. Right now is just a matter of how fast can we work to get the course ready for play. Everything is in place to get the course in the ground. This will be a Gold level course through tight woods playing around 6000 feet in the longs. Fairways are fair and terrain is ever changing throughout the course. Course is primarily shaded and plays through mixed forest of Evergreen, Maple, ash, some oak and lots & lots of ferns!

What do we do now:

We need to work on the front nine holes and get them playable so that people can be invited out to play the front nine and we can start evaluating the playability.

This Sunday we will be working again on the front 9 fairways. Depending on the turn out we can split into teams and work the course in thirds.

Things to bring:
    Must wear long sleeve pants and shirts. This is a must not a requirement though. Last weekend several guys showed up in short tee shirts and tennis shoes and got worked, cut, bruised and bloodied. Seriously bring them and if you feel comfortable wearing shorts you can.

Bring good working gloves, I recommend leather gloves. Boots are a good idea as well.

Lots of water and food/snacks

Medium sized hand saws, but no mechanized saws or chain saws until we get the approval or training. If you have a manual pole saw you can bring that as well.

State Parks Provide:
    Loppers
    small hand saws
    manual pole saw
    shovels
    sickles

• Flash
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanajanes View Post
    any work parties happening soon? i would be willing to come out and help, maybe bring some friends to help also.
    Well in order to attend the Worlds Disc Golf Championships in Kansas City I had to switch weeks off so I am working this week.

I will organize something next week or the next weekend with Steve Kruger and see what he has available.

Leave a comment:

• ryanajanes
    replied
    any work parties happening soon? i would be willing to come out and help, maybe bring some friends to help also.

Leave a comment:

• badbitbucket
    replied
    Originally posted by Flash View Post
    Probably not in June, Maybe the week after 4th of July I have that week off. I was thinking of doing some during the week work parties and one on the weekend as well.
    I'll be in central Oregon that week, but will be home the weekend of July 11/12. I'll check the thread when I get back to see what you've got scheduled...

As a matter of fact, I have next week off as well and three of those days are free...
    Last edited by badbitbucket; June 25th, 2009, 03:42 PM. Reason: added more info

Leave a comment:

• Flash
    replied
    Originally posted by "Over the Hill" Bob View Post
    So you're not playing the Rose City Open?

Bob
    Its only two rounds on Saturday, we can work till the sun goes down, after all I play Trojan first and its just a windy road drive from the State Park!

Leave a comment:

• TreeLove
    replied
    He's signed up: http://www.pdga.com/tournament-results?TournID=9286

Leave a comment:

• "Over the Hill" Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by Flash View Post
    Probably not in June, Maybe the week after 4th of July I have that week off. I was thinking of doing some during the week work parties and one on the weekend as well.
    So you're not playing the Rose City Open?

Bob

Leave a comment:

• all2common
    replied
    Sounds great! Keep us posted.

Leave a comment:

• Flash
    replied
    Originally posted by all2common View Post
    When is the next work party?

Leave a comment:

• all2common
    replied
    Right before he puked in your garbage can...funny guy.

Leave a comment:

• essjay
    replied
    Nice Avatar Justin!

I was looking very closely to see who that was and then noticed it was in my house!

Leave a comment:

• Sam
    replied
    Oh. That makes more sense.

Leave a comment:

• all2common
    replied
    When is the next work party?

Leave a comment:

• keys
    replied
    Originally posted by dan View Post
    You just have to remember that the added strength doesn't arrive immediately. For example, if I throw on hole 1 after using the saw for half a day, my throw may be off by about 20 degrees, and I may hit the closest tree that is, technically, in front of the tee pad.
    I figured it was going happen to Mike after telling me, the spotter, to back up.

Leave a comment:

• Scott
    replied
    Originally posted by dan View Post
    You just have to remember that the added strength doesn't arrive immediately. For example, if I throw on hole 1 after using the saw for half a day, my throw may be off by about 20 degrees, and I may hit the closest tree that is, technically, in front of the tee pad.
    Then you'll know which tree to bring down next.
    That's how I worked, by estimating where most of my errant shots would end and spend most of my energy clearing that spot.
    I found Kent clearing a huge pile of sticks behind a tree about 40' to the right of hole 6's basket. I asked why he was doing that and he said, "I figure most of my putts will be coming from over here so I thought I'd clear me some space."

THAT is why we go to work parties.

Leave a comment:

Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X