Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stub Stewart State Park Sunday June 7th 9:30 am

Ok here is the skinny,

This is not a rumor anymore the course is a go, we had our first official work party and now the news is we received the approval on the grant. Right now is just a matter of how fast can we work to get the course ready for play. Everything is in place to get the course in the ground. This will be a Gold level course through tight woods playing around 6000 feet in the longs. Fairways are fair and terrain is ever changing throughout the course. Course is primarily shaded and plays through mixed forest of Evergreen, Maple, ash, some oak and lots & lots of ferns!

What do we do now:

We need to work on the front nine holes and get them playable so that people can be invited out to play the front nine and we can start evaluating the playability.

This Sunday we will be working again on the front 9 fairways. Depending on the turn out we can split into teams and work the course in thirds.

Things to bring:
    Must wear long sleeve pants and shirts. This is a must not a requirement though. Last weekend several guys showed up in short tee shirts and tennis shoes and got worked, cut, bruised and bloodied. Seriously bring them and if you feel comfortable wearing shorts you can.

Bring good working gloves, I recommend leather gloves. Boots are a good idea as well.

Lots of water and food/snacks

Medium sized hand saws, but no mechanized saws or chain saws until we get the approval or training. If you have a manual pole saw you can bring that as well.

State Parks Provide:
    Loppers
    small hand saws
    manual pole saw
    shovels
    sickles
    PDGA #25296
    Stumptown #34

Awww, yeah!
    Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

Originally posted by Flash View Post
      This will be a Gold level course through tight woods playing around 6000 feet in the longs.
      Does "longs" mean there will be amateur teepads as well, or do you just mean long pin placements?
      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
        Does "longs" mean there will be amateur teepads as well, or do you just mean long pin placements?

One set of teepads, 2 sets of basket locations. Short placements will be a blue level course and the long placements will be a gold level course. Either way you will be walking the same distance though.

Could be setup with a gold blue mix as well!

Majority of the time the front nine will be in the shorter placement but back nine will be mixed, as per the state parks request.
        PDGA #25296
        Stumptown #34

Comment

I'm going to try to get Sunday off for this!

Comment

Originally posted by Flash View Post
            One set of teepads, 2 sets of basket locations. Short placements will be a blue level course and the long placements will be a gold level course. Either way you will be walking the same distance though.

Could be setup with a gold blue mix as well!

Majority of the time the front nine will be in the shorter placement but back nine will be mixed, as per the state parks request.
            It could be even better if 36 baskets are used all at once. Maybe that's a dream' but future grant money could go to purchase more baskets to complete the course.

It sounds like you guys have a great plan started. Blue and and Gold on the same course!

Comment

It's awesome to hear that this course is being installed, especially with 2 sets of placements initially. My 2 cents though, is that it would be good to have 2 sets of pads in the long range plans. And yeah, like Vector said, it'd be sweet to have 36 baskets permanently installed too, especially along with 2 sets of pads. 4 layouts available for play at any given time, Warwick style!
              Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

My husband Steve and I are going to try and make this. Just wondering are dogs ok if they are on leash?

Cindy
                Last edited by LegoRules; June 3rd, 2009, 01:24 PM. Reason: spelling
                Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
                2013 Chick Flick co-TD
                Stumptown #176
                PDGA #37716

Comment

Looks like I'll be there, and I might bring the boy.

Comment

Mike, I will try my best to be there. I have a question about the vegetation. Long sleeves and pants makes me think blackberries. Is that what we're looking at? I just need to mentally prepare. And to clarify, I assume battery operated saws would fall under the category of mechanized saws?

Comment

Originally posted by LegoRules View Post
                      My husband Steve and I are going to try and make this. Just wondering are dogs ok if they are on leash?

Cindy
                      Steve doesn't have to be on a leash.

I'll see if I can be there!

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by dan View Post
                        Mike, I will try my best to be there. I have a question about the vegetation. Long sleeves and pants makes me think blackberries. Is that what we're looking at? I just need to mentally prepare. And to clarify, I assume battery operated saws would fall under the category of mechanized saws?
                        No blackberries, just a TON of ferns, stinging nettle, and downed limbs.

I won't be able to make it to this one With only six of us last week we tackled a lot of clearing on the first seven fairways. Hopefully you guys can clean them up some more so we can play soon!!
                        Proud member #20 of STUMPTOWN Disc Golf and the PDGA #30488
                        Damn The Weak Side!!!!!!

Comment

Like Patrick said no Black Berries anywhere yet. We do have some nettles and a lot of down trees and limbs that we need to organize into shred piles. I say the long sleeves and pants due to the shear number of items to catch yourself on.

That is affirmative, only primitive tools at this point, no mechanized tools of any kind. But if you have a kick butt hand saw bring it. The rangers have been out this week cutting some trees and down trees that we identified last week as a problem. Today Steve is working on a trouble spot on 7's fairway and 8's fairway that is a huge pile of down tree mess.

We will be putting in the ground on Sunday some make shift marking poles that are to be used as a marker for the Basket so that we can get a feel for how the hole plays. Depending on the work we can get done early on may lend to a couple of holes that we can play as trial to see them in action. This of course always depends on the number of people who show up.
                          PDGA #25296
                          Stumptown #34

Comment

Steve the park ranger mentioned that he would like to keep dogs out of the work area for now. So until further notice dogs are not welcome on the developing course, but they are welcome in the park and in the day use area right by the course.
                            PDGA #25296
                            Stumptown #34

Comment

I'm curious if todays storm dropped more limbs/trees that will need attention. I'm planning on being there.

Bob

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X