X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slosh Series Payout - Where The Money Goes

Once again news has gotten back to me about someone spreading outright lies about our events.

Sadly, it always seems to be the same people, but what really kills me is that I'm not sure if these people are intentionally spewing lies, or if they are just painfully misinformed and too lazy to get the facts straight. In any case I am here, once again, to lay everything right out on the table for the world to see.

Here are a few constants. (ie: these do not change, regardless of the event).
    • Stumptown Disc Golf is a non-profit entity that is 100% run by volunteers who do not make ANY money from our events.
    • All money from a division stays within THAT division. We do not move any money from MA1 to MA2, or from MM1 to MG1.
    • All money from Amateurs regitration stays with Ams. Period.
    • In the event Stumptown does make ANY money on ANY event the club runs that money goes directly back in to the local disc golf community in one way or another. For example: in the form of lunch at one of our many work parties.

If anyone, anywhere tells you anything that contradicts the above information they are lying. Period. I'd be more than happy to show the books to any reasonable person who wants to take the time to learn how we operate.

Now, if you look closely at the payout structure for the 2011-2012 Slosh Series they will see that the payout is a little lower than you would normally see at a sanctioned event. This is solely due to the fact that we are trying to raise money to buy new baskets for Lunchtime Disc Golf course.

If you are a player whose concern is focused completely on payout rather than helping upgrade one of your local courses that is totally fine with me, but the Slosh Series are not the right events for you. We have other events like the Beaver State Fling that cover those bases quite well, thank you.

Here is a complete breakdown of where Slosh Series registration money goes:

Slosh #1: Entry $30

$2.00 -- PDGA Sanctioning
    $5.00 -- Lunchtime Basket Fund
    $12.00 - Players Pack (Hoodie, Premium Disc & some misc shwag)
    $11.00 - Directly to Scrip Payout

(Please note: The hoodies were arranged by Justin Gross and paid for by North Bonneville, so that did not affect our payout at all. Stumptown & Next Adventure also bumped up the Am scrip payout by an additional 25% that is not included in the above calculations.)

Slosh #2: Entry $33.00 (Projected)

$3.00 -- Horning Hideout's Fee
    $12.00 - Players Pack (Premium Disc & some misc shwag)

(Please Note: We are working to try to get some additional shwag onto the players packs for Slosh #2, but again this will not affect overall payout).

The people I have been working with over the past few years to help drive Stumptown forward are some of the coolest and most upstanding people I have ever worked with. No, not everyone (myself included) is perfect, but we all have the best interests of Portland disc golfers in mind.

Every time I hear about these shameful games people are playing it just kills me, because I feel like it is a direct attack on these people who work so hard for no other reason than that they want to help. So, next time you hear someone spewing lies about Stumptown... consider all of these volunteers donating their time, and even if you don't feel like sticking up for Stumptown, please stick up for them... because not only do they deserve it... they have, quite literally, earned it.

So there you have it. Those are the cold, hard facts and if anyone tells you anything otherwise, for whatever reason, they are not being honest with you.

Thanks for listening,

Jeff Hagerty
    President - Stumptown Disc Golf
    Last edited by Bullseye; December 5th, 2011, 09:32 AM. Reason: Spelling
    "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Thanks Jeff,

You have made the perfect choice in this matter. Spell out what goes on publicly to inform anybody that may be uninformed.

Stumptown Slosh events are great. Well ran, solid players packs, PDGA sactioned, and a good team of TD's and helpers. As Jeff stated already, if you're looking for big payouts, a C-tier winter series probably isn't you best option.

Comment

To all the people who feel the need to interject their bullshit opinions and stories about how tournaments are run. . . WHAT THE MOTHERF**K DO YOU DO?! It always seems to be the takers and not the givers in disc golf. The people on the sideline to lazy to get their hands dirty and assist others in the near thankless tasks it takes to run tournament play. You people are lucky you have something to bitch about. Without Stumptown, Next Adventure, and the local disc golf community "PARTICIPANTS" who put in the hours of work it takes just to make disc golf available, how would you waste yours and others time? It takes a ton of work to run and event, and thats just at the C tier level. I cant imagine all the networking and organization that goes into larger events. I guess what im trying to say is, your welcome. You stay in your negative little do nothing world and the rest of us will continue to build disc golf in our communities.

Comment

You're the man Jeff! And Stumptown F'n rocks!
        I remember just starting out in this disc golf game, and hearing about Stumptown. I was told some of the same shit you're talking about. But I didnt buy it. Especialy after going to a stumptown event, my first tournament ever(Slosh#1 Nanook open). I thought everyone was awesome, and the pay-outs were great! even for the MA4 division...
        From that event on, Stumptown has done nothing but help me, my son, and our club(even though im sure they were like, "who the f*%K is this guy!"). From free swag and barrowed baskets, to friendly advice and the stumptown scholarship program.(which got Dan Jr. started in tournaments). THANK YOU!
        Stumptown has been nothing short of the best thing to happen to disc golf in the portland area! And im proud to be a member!
        Thank you Stumptown! For everything!
        sigpic
        http://www.discgolfscene.com/clubs/DISC_GOLF_OR_DIE

Comment

Well Said Dan Brown, I fully agree! Steve Carson invited me to my first Stumptown meeting at NA about a year ago. Jordan Lewis was looking for 1 more player on the last Saturday team in OTDG. I met this tall Red haired guy with a funny last name that night and felt totally out of place. Stumptown ruined my life! I'm obsessed with this sport and cannot cannot get any work done or see my family anymore! Not to mention these people like Hagerty who keep helping people out and pushing the sport forward! Totally selfish.

NAHH, Thank you some much to ALL (Everyone!) who volunteer way too much time for Stumptown, and DGOD events, (Many times the same people making it happen). You Guys and Girls make this area one of the best to play Disc Golf. Don't let the "Haters" get you down. For everyone one of them there is 20 people who appreciate, and respect you!

Speaking of that Hagerty, PM me and let me know what jobs need done that I can help tow my own weight too, I don't do enough to help either.
          PDGA# 49616
          Stumptown# 353
          OTDG: Young Guns - SAT

Comment

I haven't HEARD anything, so it must be falling on Deaf ears, so you are all good Hagerty, see y'all nexttt weekend...

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
              I haven't HEARD anything, so it must be falling on Deaf ears, so you are all good Hagerty, see y'all nexttt weekend...
              I tell ya Nathan, I was pretty damned concerned, because if you had heard about it, I would have had to admit... shit's getting REAL.
              "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

I think it is pure madness when the details of "where the money goes" MUST be put out there to help stiffle the nearly constent complaining and griping about "pay-out should be bigger", "players pack was crap" or "there must be a lot going in his pocket" and other such nonsence.

To those who are the complainers, you need to help run one of these tournaments from begging to end. These folks work very hard and sweat out all the details just so others can have a great event.
                If your are not going to help and get involved, shut-up and keep it to yourself.

To those who run these events, Thank you!
                Phillip John Kurtz

Comment

Originally posted by PhilStomp View Post
                  I think it is pure madness when the details of "where the money goes" MUST be put out there to help stiffle the nearly constent complaining and griping about "pay-out should be bigger", "players pack was crap" or "there must be a lot going in his pocket" and other such nonsence.

To those who are the complainers, you need to help run one of these tournaments from begging to end. These folks work very hard and sweat out all the details just so others can have a great event.
                  If your are not going to help and get involved, shut-up and keep it to yourself.

To those who run these events, Thank you!
                  Phillip John Kurtz
                  Phillip and others,

As an organizer and volunteer of these events and Stumptown in general I have to say that I want people to ask questions and feel confident about their purchasing power. I don't want anyone to have to shut up or stop communicating, however complaining is never looked upon favorable in any situation. Constructive questioning and inquiry on the other hand are always welcome.

If you feel something is off and you have questions feel free to ask them. But please don't ask your buddy or the local yocal who has no clue about what the payout is and where the money goes. Ask someone involved in the event and if you don't like what you hear then don't participate in that event. Don't spread rumors and general hate, we are not the community for that. If you like that sort of thing perhaps pursue politics, they always can use another mudslinger.
                  PDGA #25296
                  Stumptown #34

Comment

same old story, same old song and dance...... my friend

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
                    Once again news has gotten back to me about someone spreading outright lies about our events.

Sadly, it always seems to be the same people, but what really kills me is that I'm not sure if these people are intentionally spewing lies, or if they are just painfully misinformed and too lazy to get the facts straight. In any case I am here, once again, to lay everything right out on the table for the world to see.

Here are a few constants. (ie: these do not change, regardless of the event).
                    • Stumptown Disc Golf is a non-profit entity that is 100% run by volunteers who do not make ANY money from our events.
                    • All money from a division stays within THAT division. We do not move any money from MA1 to MA2, or from MM1 to MG1.
                    • All money from Amateurs regitration stays with Ams. Period.
                    • In the event Stumptown does make ANY money on ANY event the club runs that money goes directly back in to the local disc golf community in one way or another. For example: in the form of lunch at one of our many work parties.

If anyone, anywhere tells you anything that contradicts the above information they are lying. Period. I'd be more than happy to show the books to any reasonable person who wants to take the time to learn how we operate.

Now, if you look closely at the payout structure for the 2011-2012 Slosh Series they will see that the payout is a little lower than you would normally see at a sanctioned event. This is solely due to the fact that we are trying to raise money to buy new baskets for Lunchtime Disc Golf course.

If you are a player whose concern is focused completely on payout rather than helping upgrade one of your local courses that is totally fine with me, but the Slosh Series are not the right events for you. We have other events like the Beaver State Fling that cover those bases quite well, thank you.

Here is a complete breakdown of where Slosh Series registration money goes:

Slosh #1: Entry $30

$12.00 - Players Pack (Hoodie, Premium Disc & some misc shwag)

(Please note: The hoodies were arranged by Justin Gross and paid for by North Bonneville, so that did not affect our payout at all. Stumptown & Next Adventure also bumped up the Am scrip payout by an additional 25% that is not included in the above calculations.)

Slosh #2: Entry $33.00 (Projected)

$3.00 -- Horning Hideout's Fee
                    $12.00 - Players Pack (Premium Disc & some misc shwag)

(Please Note: We are working to try to get some additional shwag onto the players packs for Slosh #2, but again this will not affect overall payout).

The people I have been working with over the past few years to help drive Stumptown forward are some of the coolest and most upstanding people I have ever worked with. No, not everyone (myself included) is perfect, but we all have the best interests of Portland disc golfers in mind.

Every time I hear about these shameful games people are playing it just kills me, because I feel like it is a direct attack on these people who work so hard for no other reason than that they want to help. So, next time you hear someone spewing lies about Stumptown... consider all of these volunteers donating their time, and even if you don't feel like sticking up for Stumptown, please stick up for them... because not only do they deserve it... they have, quite literally, earned it.

So there you have it. Those are the cold, hard facts and if anyone tells you anything otherwise, for whatever reason, they are not being honest with you.

Thanks for listening,

Jeff Hagerty
                    President - Stumptown Disc Golf
                    Jeff,
                    I might be missing sumpin' but I don't see the pro payout. May we/I assume it's the same $11 as the scrip payout?
                    OR, do pros play for scrip? (please don't answer the smart ass question)
                    I think that any event which uses moneys from players to help build and improve dgc's is grrrrrrrrrreat! As a SDGC member I must say gudt job up there!
                    Yose
                    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                    - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Flatroc View Post
                      Jeff,
                      I might be missing sumpin' but I don't see the pro payout. May we/I assume it's the same $11 as the scrip payout?
                      OR, do pros play for scrip? (please don't answer the smart ass question)
                      I think that any event which uses moneys from players to help build and improve dgc's is grrrrrrrrrreat! As a SDGC member I must say gudt job up there!
                      Yose
                      For the Slosh Series both the pros and the ams get players packs and have the same prize structure. The only difference is that we don't bump up the pro payout by 25% like we do with am scrip. So... yes, the ams get a slightly better deal than the pros do, but we're hoping people focus on the most important aspect of the series and that is raising money for the new Lunchtime baskets.

Comment

As a long time advocate for financial disclosure

Jeff's breakdown seems well thought out and very reasonable. The fact he put it out for all to see is well, Incredible. He should be applauded for doing the right thing from the start.

My best advice to anyone is
                        "... look over the paperwork before you go to the event staff. Your both there why not have a little face time."

and keep these things in mind

Player
                        Remember this group has worked hard trying to offer eveyone a good time, and their patiece might be pretty thin so give em some room.

TD
                        Remember without everyone of these players we got...
                        rewindb.com

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                        Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X