Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jeff I think you and Stumptown have done an outstanding job with all of the courses that you have put in and still are. I love ya Jeff and all you do!!!! Please don't let this one person bring you down and stop your speed forward and the progress you have achieved. Disc Golf Rules!!!!!!!!!
    PDGA # 31451
    2 Mini Aces
    75 Aces
    PEOPLE WHO HELP ME LOTS IN DISC GOLF
    DISC GOLF OR DIE
    BOB CABAL
    DISCVANGO
    JEFF ELLIOT
    G-MAN
    JORDAN LEWIS
    JEFF HAGERTY
    JAMES GARCELON
    SAM GIBSON

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by DGOD! Disc Golf View Post
      ...P.S. Who was it!
      Well, here are 555 people who it wasn't...
      Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
      Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
      Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
      Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
      Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Thanks Tree Love,
        Now I know my Stumptown number.

Jeff,
        I'm sorry about this event happening to you.
        I had a similar issue about the ace pot and memberships three Slosh years ago.
        I posted my opinion and got quit a back lash from this very forum.
        Stumptown members are very loyal.
        I was trying to understand something and was trying to make my point. Again, quit a back lash.
        Then, you posted the details of "why".
        I said Thank you but I disagree and I did not play the Slosh that season. My choice, my loss.

I may not even attempt to play the Blue Lake Slosh BUT with all that I like about what you do and the things I see Stumptown doing, I decided to join Stumptown when I signed up for the next Slosh.

With your story, I look back and see a little bit in what I did. GOD, I hope I wasn't even close to that F 'n bad.

Sometimes we have our opinions and sometimes we should keep them to ourselves.

Again, sorry for what happen.
        Hope you keep the faith in what you are doing because I'm sure that there are more of us that "THANK YOU" than that guy. No more letting him slide.

Sincerely,
        Phil
        Last edited by PhilStomp; February 2nd, 2013, 08:38 AM. Reason: Spelling error

Comment

Jeff,
          I think you're being too hard on yourself if you're losing sleep over this guy's point of view. I for one couldn't tell you that it's unfair for Stumptown members to get first shot at registration, sounds very reasonable to me. As pdxdiscer mentioned, the guy may have a justified (to him) reason to get his shorts in a twist over having to wait for the 2nd round registration, but until he steps up to TD his own tourney, it's not up to him. He's completely out of line. I get so tired of seeing these stories about guys that seem to feel they're entitled to have everything they want without contributing anything for the cause. They always seem to complain the loudest.
          Even up here in Washington, we know how much Stumptown has done to make the DG experience in the PDX area as great as it is. For some reason some people think a genie in a bottle makes courses happen. Actually, I think i'll go to the Stumptown website and send in my $10 for a membership as i've taken advantage many times of the hard work that they've put in, most recently Stub. Thanks for that, guys.
          Basket thieves

Comment

I think any event should be open to anyone, fairly and in a fair venue. I've volunteered my time at more than a course or two...even some that didn't "belong to my club". I have never wanted to subscribe to excluding anyone because they didn't help build it or weren't a member of a club.
            Victorious warriors win first then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win

Comment

Originally posted by OneDarkRebel View Post
              I think any event should be open to anyone, fairly and in a fair venue. I've volunteered my time at more than a course or two...even some that didn't "belong to my club". I have never wanted to subscribe to excluding anyone because they didn't help build it or weren't a member of a club.
              Let it be known also that I wasn't going to this event, however this is my opinion and not some sour rant because I'm not getting in.
              Victorious warriors win first then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win

Comment

I understand where you are coming from with this. I am all about inclusion. I sincerely believe in opportunity for all.

I think one of the issues is that you consider this move by Stumptown as being exclusionary. While I respect your opinion I do disagree.

I am a part of many cultures and scenes and nearly all ticketing and registration for tickets or inclusion at times includes a chance to pay more for pre-registration or pre-ticketing. If you take the fact that the Slosh #4 is open to Stumptown members first and then take that fact coupled with the fact that Stumptown allows anyone to join, I see this as a pre-registration fee and not excluding anyone.

In my understanding your events charge non-members $10 more an entry. In this case Stumptown asked for the $10 upfront to register early. They did not exclude anyone from joining Stumptown, they did not keep this all secret without allowing new members to sign up before the pre-registration. They notified people in general that the last Stumptown Slosh would be open to members before the general public back in November. This means anyone who was not a member had three months to pay an extra $10 (Like your non-member fee but this was for membership) and get the chance to register before non-members.

I honestly respect your opinion but your approach here is really pointed and from the replies makes volunteers feel their efforts are in vain. These pointed comments further push those that promote the sport away from organizing tournaments.
                "Love is not primarily a relationship to a specific person. Love is an attitude, an ordination of character which determines the relatedness of the person to the whole world as a whole, not toward one object of love.”

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Philips View Post
                  In my understanding your events charge non-members $10 more an entry. In this case Stumptown asked for the $10 upfront to register early. They did not exclude anyone from joining Stumptown, they did not keep this all secret without allowing new members to sign up before the pre-registration. They notified people in general that the last Stumptown Slosh would be open to members before the general public back in November. This means anyone who was not a member had three months to pay an extra $10 (Like your non-member fee but this was for membership) and get the chance to register before non-members.
                  Hey Jason, thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts on the matter, it helps us to see all sides of an issue by hearing different viewpoints.

I just wanted to clarify one thing. The $10 non-member fee is for non-PDGA members and not non-Stumptown members. If you play in ANY PDGA sanctioned tournament and are not a PDGA member then you are subject to this fee for each tourney that you play. This fee goes directly to the PDGA but the TD's are responsible for collecting it and sending it to the PDGA. If they do not collect this fee they still have to pay that $10 for each and every non-PDGA member that plays in the PDGA sanctioned tournament. This is the cost for getting to use the PDGA provided insurance and for the round ratings for all participants among other things.

But one of the benefits to being a Stumptown member is getting $5 off your PDGA membership costs, so you are getting half your money back in savings. Another benefit is to get early registration to this tourney.

Once again, I am not trying to take a shot at you Jason, I just wanted to make this clarification.

Can't wait to play Blue Lake!

Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
                  Remain ye men of faculty complete,
                  Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
                  Attending to our noble bond and contract?
                  Or does here stand the last remaining man
                  To give a fig for rules and order yet,
                  No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
                  Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
                  I’ll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

My understanding (Marcus, correct me if I am wrong) is that Rebel Members get occasional discounts on tournaments. I wasn't referring to the PDGA. I wasn't very clear I can see from the quote above.
                    "Love is not primarily a relationship to a specific person. Love is an attitude, an ordination of character which determines the relatedness of the person to the whole world as a whole, not toward one object of love.”

Comment

Hagerty and all Stumptown members and affiliates,

Josh “Crawdad” Johnson here. I do not visit the forum regularly nor generally remain abreast of current discussion topics. However, my lovely wife and many of our friends do. Yesterday she and a friend we're chatting about this recent spirited discussion over the slosh/blue lake tourney. From what I understand, some negative comments were made against the club and possibly you directly. Hopefully a mere misunderstanding and I trust it will all work out without any hard feelings one way or the other.

It did get me thinking however, I just wanted to send a quick note to express our support and say that Sarah and I always appreciate all that Stumptown and you individually contribute to Oregon Disc Golf as with all the local clubs. We have both just registered as paying members of Stumptown today and plan to renew annually (with no intention of playing the aforementioned tourney btw). We should be embarrassed for not having become dedicated members prior. In addition we have become a “Friend” level sponsor of McCormick Park. Although we are rarely able to participate in Slosh events or physically contribute to course development/maintenance, we greatly value and take advantage of the world class level courses and tournaments that Stumptown has been integral in creating and providing. In the future we hope to be able to contribute and donate our time further, but for now please consider this a small act of appreciation. Keep up the great work!!!

Cheers,
                      Crawfolk

Comment

Originally posted by Crawdad View Post
                        Hagerty and all Stumptown members and affiliates,

Josh “Crawdad” Johnson here. I do not visit the forum regularly nor generally remain abreast of current discussion topics. However, my lovely wife and many of our friends do. Yesterday she and a friend we're chatting about this recent spirited discussion over the slosh/blue lake tourney. From what I understand, some negative comments were made against the club and possibly you directly. Hopefully a mere misunderstanding and I trust it will all work out without any hard feelings one way or the other.

It did get me thinking however, I just wanted to send a quick note to express our support and say that Sarah and I always appreciate all that Stumptown and you individually contribute to Oregon Disc Golf as with all the local clubs. We have both just registered as paying members of Stumptown today and plan to renew annually (with no intention of playing the aforementioned tourney btw). We should be embarrassed for not having become dedicated members prior. In addition we have become a “Friend” level sponsor of McCormick Park. Although we are rarely able to participate in Slosh events or physically contribute to course development/maintenance, we greatly value and take advantage of the world class level courses and tournaments that Stumptown has been integral in creating and providing. In the future we hope to be able to contribute and donate our time further, but for now please consider this a small act of appreciation. Keep up the great work!!!

Cheers,
                        Crawfolk

You Crawfolk are awesome #561 & #562!

Cindy
                        Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
                        2013 Chick Flick co-TD
                        Stumptown #176
                        PDGA #37716

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Philips View Post
                          My understanding (Marcus, correct me if I am wrong) is that Rebel Members get occasional discounts on tournaments. I wasn't referring to the PDGA. I wasn't very clear I can see from the quote above.
                          The only Rebel perk I know of is being able to be a part of a tournament and player party run by the one and only, Ryan Lane. Anything else=sugar on top...

This Blue Lake tourney is going to rock!

Comment

Jeff,
                            I am a member of WSDGA(West Sound) and therefore I would ordinarily not be interested in traveling for any of the Slosh Series. But I happened to be working in the Portland area for the Blue Lake #4 weekend. So I looked into what it would take to get into that one event. I saw my best chance would be to become a stumptown member. FWIW I thought the extra $10 was more than reasonable to get into the tourney. Plus the membership "in money only" would be supporting a cause I believe in, even if it is not in my backyard.

(Unfortunately, my schedule changed and I am not going to be around saturday or sunday to play... )
                            Board Member of the West Sound Disc Golf Association
                            Like us on Facebook! Facebook.com/WSDGA

Comment

Originally posted by Portland Rebel View Post
                              The only Rebel perk I know of is being able to be a part of a tournament and player party run by the one and only, Ryan Lane. Anything else=sugar on top...

This Blue Lake tourney is going to rock!
                              I think the discount was referenced in this thread (which you kind of have to read to understand the context of this whole discussion that Marcus started with his questions about SS#4) For the record, I have no idea if there is such a discount, I would support the concept if there is, I have always enjoyed every Rebel event I've entered, and I'm not attacking anyone in this post.

http://nwdiscgolfnews.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10154

And I agree on this tournament rocking! Hopefully I can get my average score at Blue Lake under double digits over.

Comment

To Josh and Sarah and everyone else who has shown support for our club... thank you for your understanding.

Just to make this perfectly clear, As I always have, I welcome any and all questions regarding how Stumptown operates and how and why we make the decisions we do. No, we will never make everyone happy every time, but I am confident our hearts are in the right place.

My only regret with this particular situation was that while the original post had a number of very good questions, it also felt very accusatory. I think that fact alone put everyone on the defensive. I think a slightly different tone, whether it was real or perceived, would have gone a long way here.

In any case, I'm good with how this all turned out... and I have no problems whatsoever with anyone involved.
                                "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X