X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sam View Post
    Just a thought, but... do we really need to have 7-somes on the course? Can we go back to the method we used last year where the extra singles people played on a card with others from other teams? I mean... I was able to update my Facebook and check sports scores... during the 20 minute wait on each hole... and that is fun and all... but I would rather golf more.

Just a thought...
    Originally posted by Jeff Hemmerling View Post
    Yeah, I'm embarassed that we had a group of 7-8 players each round.
    If all the eighth players who can play don't fit on the course with only foursomes then none of them can play. This is pretty ridiculous...

Note to Jordan: More is not better.
    Either one of you are MORE THAN WELCOME to come up to the TD table and make this happen. If your time off in the parking lot or warming up on the course is more important than fixing this travesty of justice and you'd just rather whine and complain about it, then it is what it is. BE the change you want to see...

PS Funny how we got done early even with this travesty of justice...

Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
    Remain ye men of faculty complete,
    Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
    Attending to our noble bond and contract?
    Or does here stand the last remaining man
    To give a fig for rules and order yet,
    No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
    Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
    Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

I can say that all of us Darkhorses would much rather play in an 8some as opposed to sitting a round, especially after making the trek out to some of the farther courses like Sorosis.

Question for other players or captains: Will you consider sitting out the bonus match altogether if you have the "extra" players at the course but get the lineup card and don't like the matchup?

Perhaps we were lucky this week that Zimmerman and Griplok agreed up front that they would also play all 8 players during both rounds (thanks Dave and/or you are welcome. I do not look forward to picking who we will list in those optional slots knowing that they will have to wait and see and let the other team decide whether they play. Yes I will put my name there as much as possible but it would still stink.

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Fingers View Post
        Either one of you are MORE THAN WELCOME to come up to the TD table and make this happen. If your time off in the parking lot or warming up on the course is more important than fixing this travesty of justice and you'd just rather whine and complain about it, then it is what it is. BE the change you want to see...

PS Funny how we got done early even with this travesty of justice...

I too was concerned about speed of play in the beginning. But the two sets of doubles (8-people on one tee pad) actually seemed to move faster then 4-singles. Playing the best shot, and picking up the bad one moves pretty quick against; Crap, how do I get out of this shot?

We Started at 9:02am and 1:02pm. I had Finished, scores in, chatted with everyone, took a bathroom break at the gas station, and driving west by 4:30pm.

IMHO: I do think I am a fan of 7-person teams. It seems to flow nicely, keeps the people per tee pad down, and gives you more flexibility to avoid forcing everyone to play 1-singles and 1-dubs. Currently, if both teams field 8 people, each player plays 1-dubs and 1-singles per day. Though the 8-people playing Dubs moves quickly, it is embarrassing to me to have 8 on a pad. I feel it is bad golf etiquette, but unavoidable in this configuration.
        PDGA# 49616
        Stumptown# 353
        OTDG: Young Guns - SAT

Comment

Originally posted by Lund View Post
          I can say that all of us Darkhorses would much rather play in an 8some as opposed to sitting a round, especially after making the trek out to some of the farther courses like Sorosis.
          Another way to frame this issue is: When did herd golf become acceptable?
          We, as experienced golfers, are supposed to set a good example.
          And yes, I am willing to help avoid this travesty.

Question for other players or captains: Will you consider sitting out the bonus match altogether if you have the "extra" players at the course but get the lineup card and don't like the matchup?
          Yes.

Comment

s.

98% of the time NOPE

i mean maybe if the weathers decent and i have a chance to chase salmonoids instead maybe
            "In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

The speed of play probably had a lot to do with where you were at on the course. We had a three card pile up waiting on a 7some during the afternoon round.

Comment

I played in an 8-some doubles card in the morning, and we were moving fairly quickly. This was possible because of the short relatively easy course and excellent weather; not to mention very skilled players. This will become a problem once the weather changes and we begin to play longer more difficult courses. The only solution is to ghost the extra players (if we have a full 80 playing) or fill in the gaps with the extras.
                As for Mr. Lund's question concerning sitting out people if the match-up is unfavorable. I would be inclined to do it if it was obvious and could cost us the match. But this will vary from week to week and course to course. But if the ability to do so exsists and other teams are taking advantage of this strategy then it would be foolish to not examine this as an option.

Comment

OK slow down folks, and do some math: There is an easy way to do this with groups no larger than four: The answer is ghost groups.

18 holes x 4 players = 72 players.
                  Max # of players if EVERYONE shows up AND plays = 80 players.

Solution: No groups larger than a foursome = use up to two ghost groups if need be.

While ghost groups will inevitably slow the play some, the slowdowns are distributed across the course, so that no wait is ever very long, and no huge gaps of open holes develop. I think ghost groups will produce a smoother flow of play than will groups larger than four players.

If you start your ghost groups on short easy holes that follow long difficult holes, then the slowdown is minimal. Also, start the ghost groups well apart from each other.

How will I help as opposed to just taking pot shots? I will be more than happy to assist in filling out score cards, designating starting hole assignments, etc. See you at the next CSL!
                  Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                  Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                  Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                  Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                  Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Originally posted by TreeLove View Post
                    OK slow down folks, and do some math: There is an easy way to do this with groups no larger than four: The answer is ghost groups.

Solution: No groups larger than a foursome = use up to two ghost groups if need be.
                    Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!
                    Thanks Treelove for the sanity check and excellent idea. I'm in.

Comment

Originally posted by TreeLove View Post

While ghost groups will inevitably slow the play some, the slowdowns are distributed across the course, so that no wait is ever very long, and no huge gaps of open holes develop. I think ghost groups will produce a smoother flow of play than will groups larger than four players.

If you start your ghost groups on short easy holes that follow long difficult holes, then the slowdown is minimal. Also, start the ghost groups well apart from each other.

How will I help as opposed to just taking pot shots? I will be more than happy to assist in filling out score cards, designating starting hole assignments, etc. See you at the next CSL!
                      I will fully stand behind this. 6 people to a pad for myself is not a fond thought
                      either ghost groups or have mixed teams playing singles matches.

Comment

when all 8 show up couldn't you have 2 cards of 6 and 1 card of 4 instead of 8 man groups
                        2 dubs teams and 2 singles
                        2 dubs teams and 2 singles
                        4 singles

Comment

Yep, that could work too.
                          PDGA# 49616
                          Stumptown# 353
                          OTDG: Young Guns - SAT

Comment

Is it posted somewhere which teams play against each other each week? I can't seem to find it here. What's the Yahoo link? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by beccat View Post
                              Is it posted somewhere which teams play against each other each week? I can't seem to find it here. What's the Yahoo link? Thanks!
                              The yahoo site: http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/teamdiscgolf/

You can also now find that information on the "schedule and results" page of the new www.teamdiscgolf.com website.

Comment

seriously the ratings are gonna jump like that all year?????
                                "In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X