Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I resent the hell out of the fact that I am not involved more in this thread...

ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
    ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Wes Hansen View Post
      I missed retaining the information in those six highlighted (note: I highlighted them for this post) characters. Out of the thousands of characters in the eleven, often tedious, pages of posts in the "Northwest Disc Golf News Forums > Disc Golf Events > Weekly/Monthly Series > Team Disc Golf > Team Disc Golf: Tdg 2011-12" thread, that level of one-time reading comprehension is astounding! I must be a friggin genius to have only missed that sliver of info. Glad to have found it buried there upon a second reading of 7 of those pages, as it isn't in the rules.

No NAAC in TDG ratings... I think. Because another post seems to indicate ALL PDGA events played in a year WILL be factored into TDG. So, I'm still a little uncertain I have an answer. However, at this point I'm good with just assuming an answer and letting someone correct me later if the subject ever comes up again. I'm easy.

So I get to go play Pier like shit again for the permanent record. Wonderful. Thanks.

(Hell, maybe VT will get lucky and play us there. Maybe they can get 2 points that day.)
      Let me get this straight.

You have a PDGA rating, but you feel it is too high. To correct this, you plan to go to Pier and deliberately play like crap to artifically lower your rating for the purpose of gaining a higher handicap.

Does that about sum it up?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post

You have a PDGA rating, but you feel it is too high. To correct this, you plan to go to Pier and deliberately play like crap to artifically lower your rating for the purpose of gaining a higher handicap.

Strategy Scott, strategy!

Bob

Comment

kinda makes ya feel icky, huh?

i've just been dying to say something in this thread... finally couldn't help myself...

... it also makes one wonder sometimes if some of these people even like to play golf... like, everyone pushes the idea that it's all about having fun in crappy weather with awesome people... and truly it does have that potential... but geez... i mean, come on... don't freaking play if you don't want to...

sorry. i'll try to butt out from now on... it was just so tempting... and scandalous...
          "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
          Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Wow Sam took you way to long...lol..

Comment

Originally posted by emmarose View Post
              kinda makes ya feel icky, huh?

i've just been dying to say something in this thread... finally couldn't help myself...

... it also makes one wonder sometimes if some of these people even like to play golf... like, everyone pushes the idea that it's all about having fun in crappy weather with awesome people... and truly it does have that potential... but geez... i mean, come on... don't freaking play if you don't want to...

sorry. i'll try to butt out from now on... it was just so tempting... and scandalous...
              We're not all like Wes. I happened to shoot my personal best at Pier during prelims a year or two ago. Sam on the other hand is a bagger.

Comment

Semi- apology semi-accepted.

I'm going outside to soak up some more of that Milo sunshine.

Comment

Alright peeps

I am working many extra hours because my public radio station is in the middle of its 10-day fundraising drive. We have to make nearly half of everybody's salary and the money it takes to keep us on the air. Only in public radio is the business model to give the product away for free and then ask people to give us some money if they want it to continue.

Thanks Susie, for your help but the rules get tweaked each and every year a little so the 2008 rules are a little outdated. Last year's rules can be found on the Yahoo group site in last year's folders.

And one of the rules Wes wanted to know about HAS been changed since then. When we started out the PDGA didn't have so many ratings updates through the winter, so we would reset the current PDGA member's ratings when the new ratings would come out. (another good reason to be a current PDGA member) But the non-current/non-members whined and cried about it too much so we changed that rule.

In the past we had a much greater problem with ratings inflation during the season, nearly all players finished the season with ratings 40-60 points above their PDGA ratings. So it was an advantage to get to reset your rating every year. It still is an advantage, but we only do that to start the season this year so the PDGA rating you have on 10/8/11 is what you will start with.

And yes, this is a ratings-based handicapped league, so yes, there is some strategy involved. I am sorry if that bothers some people. We are not playing an Open-type competition, we do not have to take each and every throw we make all season long so seriously. Not everything in life is part of the battle to be Oregon's Pro Woman champion Emma... There is plenty of time to play hard and compete during the season ahead.

I plan to be drunk....errrrr have a good time during the prelims and have a good time playing disc golf with my friends where I do not care how I shoot. It is funny how sometimes you actually shoot better when there is no pressure.

So to specifically answer Wes' question: Current PDGA members start with their ratings from 10/8 and then average that with all of the rounds that they shoot during the prelims. What we will be changing this year, as soon as I can get the formula right, is to limit the effect that playing below your rating has on your rating. Your rating will go down half as fast as it will go up.

So if your PDGA rating is 950 and you shoot 3 prelim rounds of 975, 950 and 925 your rating will be the average of 950, 975, 950 & 937.5 for a rating of 953. Last year your rating would have been 950.

So I encourage all OTDG players to come on out and have some fun rounds to start the TDG season off right. You can play up to 2 rated rounds each day for 4 total rounds if you'd like. The more people who play, the better the ratings will be for the players with no ratings to start with.

I will try to get all of the stuff ready for TDG, but it really must wait until next week due to my time constraints at work. Thanks for your understanding.

Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
                  Remain ye men of faculty complete,
                  Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
                  Attending to our noble bond and contract?
                  Or does here stand the last remaining man
                  To give a fig for rules and order yet,
                  No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
                  Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
                  Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Fingers View Post

I plan to be drunk....errrrr have a good time during the prelims and have a good time playing disc golf with my friends where I do not care how I shoot. It is funny how sometimes you actually shoot better when there is no pressure.
                    I am familiar with this concept. Two pre round beers. I call it Tiger Vision.

Comment

I shot my personal best at Pier 2 years in a row during the pre-lims. I'm not too good at this strategery thing.

Originally posted by jevon View Post
                      We're not all like Wes. I happened to shoot my personal best at Pier during prelims a year or two ago. Sam on the other hand is a bagger.

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Fingers View Post
                        And yes, this is a ratings-based handicapped league, so yes, there is some strategy involved. I am sorry if that bothers some people. We are not playing an Open-type competition, we do not have to take each and every throw we make all season long so seriously. Not everything in life is part of the battle to be Oregon's Pro Woman champion Emma... There is plenty of time to play hard and compete during the season ahead.

... my comment was based on wes's attitude, not the strategy, which as you may remember, we came to an understanding about during the scrabble analogy... i guess by "some people" what i really meant was "wes hansen"...

also, i am trying very hard to love how grumpy you are (because i do, i really do, jordan)... but dude, that dig about the championships? that hurts my feelings. that win is the coolest thing i have ever done, i have never worked so hard for anything in my life... i've never been so good at anything in my life... and i would appreciate people not making me feel bad about it.

... and, i'm sure already that i'm going to regret posting this... but, well... to quote the fridge magnet my hippie mama gave me, "speak your mind, even if your voice shakes"...

Comment

"Artificially" Scott. I thought someone with your ego would at least take the time to spell correctly when trying to belittle someone.

Actually- NO Scott and Emma. I guess reading for comprehension isn't your strong suits. More than once I stated I play Pier poorly, NOT I PLAN to play Pier poorly. When I play Pier, such as in NAAC, my rating plummets. You could check my ratings at Pier this year if you continue to be confused. But if you make stuff up in your head it probably makes it easier to turn a legitimate question into an excuse to give snide responses. Way to chime in without any actual thought process first.

The suggestion of sandbagging in my case is pretty funny. My view is you have to be a good player in order to sandbag. Or perhaps I'm on a 12 year master plan culminating in going into TDG with a low rating! Got ya!

I'm sure there were other pearls of wisdom in the responses, but I have the folks I find annoying on "ignore."

THANK YOU Jordan for taking the time to answer my question.

Comment

... my comment was based on wes's attitude, not the strategy, which as you may remember, we came to an understanding about during the scrabble analogy... i guess by "some people" what i really meant was "wes hansen"...

also, i am trying very hard to love how grumpy you are (because i do, i really do, jordan)... but dude, that dig about the championships? that hurts my feelings. that win is the coolest thing i have ever done, i have never worked so hard for anything in my life... i've never been so good at anything in my life... and i would appreciate people not making me feel bad about it.

... and, i'm sure already that i'm going to regret posting this... but, well... to quote the fridge magnet my hippie mama gave me, "speak your mind, even if your voice shakes"...
                            Wes'. No extra "s." Basic English.
                            But I see that's not your strong subject.

Quitting something and then continuing to complain about it seems more your style.

Comment

Originally posted by Wes Hansen View Post
                              Wes'. No extra "s." Basic English.
                              But I see that's not your strong subject.

Quitting something and then continuing to complain about it seems more your style.
                              okay, buddy... first off, yes, i do struggle with apostrophes... however, i was an english major... oh, wait, actually a creative writing major so i'll put my damn apostrophes where ever i see fit, thank you very much... and i'm not complaining about team golf, i'm making an observation about your stinky attitude which brings me to question whether you even like disc golf or not!!! and heaven freaking forbid i pop in every now and again on a public forum to comment on a couple posts which you have to admit were rather incendiary... i just think you should check your attitude. and there are other folks out there who should, also... no one ever makes us go play... we never have to golf, it's always that we get to golf...

... and i think you're a cranky pants.

... and i super dig the reality-tv-esqueness of this whole thing...

Comment

okay, buddy... i do struggle with apostrophes..i pop in every now and again on a public forum to comment on a couple posts which you have to admit were rather incendiary....
                                Really?! Apostrophes AND periods, capitalization, run on sentences, errors in fact and a number of other issues seem to trouble you. It also looks like you've "popped in" over 1200 times! You feel questions are incendiary and indicative of a "stinky attitude?" Reread, once again. The thread started with a QUESTION. However you read something else into it I have no idea. Perhaps you minored in propaganda?

The rest of the posts were just babble from the peanut gallery and not worth giving their childish drivel a response.

And wherever did you get the idea people here don't like golf much? By creative writing it appears you mean making up stuff not based in reality. You're the one who decided not to participate... so I guess you don't like DG.

On a final note... I may not be a very good DGer, but out of the folks who wrote something snide here- I don't see one of you that I couldn't beat on the course 19 out of 20 times! I guess that does leave only your moronic posts to make you feel better. (Not including GA. I thought we were just enjoying a little smack talk earlier. I don't know why you got so upset.)
                                Last edited by Wes Hansen; September 29th, 2011, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X