X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smobro View Post
    How many players should a team have ideally? Is there room for new teams?
    Teams must have 7 players each, no more, no less (one alternate is allowed for a one-time permanent member replacement). Participation is first come, first served, until the league is full. Returning teams have precedence. THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL TDG POST, I am not a TDG official, though I play one on TV.
    Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
    Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
    Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
    Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
    Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Jordan,
      After playing today with some great players, and me. I can see even the good ones have to hunt for plastic every other hole at Stubb. I really like this course, but I retract my suggestion for Stubb in TDG. In addition I would like to state "You were right, and I was wrong" for the record. We would never get out of there with a full TDG group on Sat/Sun. Someday it may be cleared out enough though? Now only if Blue Lake could speed up the pace we could put that in the mix. Maybe 2015 season?
      PDGA# 49616
      Stumptown# 353
      OTDG: Young Guns - SAT

Comment

Originally posted by jdinteg View Post
        Jordan,
        After playing today with some great players, and me. I can see even the good ones have to hunt for plastic every other hole at Stubb. I really like this course, but I retract my suggestion for Stubb in TDG. In addition I would like to state "You were right, and I was wrong" for the record. We would never get out of there with a full TDG group on Sat/Sun. Someday it may be cleared out enough though? Now only if Blue Lake could speed up the pace we could put that in the mix. Maybe 2015 season?
        Once again, if it is longer/harder than Milo, no matter how much fun it is to play casually, it probably won't work for TDG. Even though we do draw some of the 1000 rated players, the players in TDG span the gamut of skill levels. So I try to not keep it limited to just long and/or hard courses. I am sure that Blue Lake will be a great course to play, but at some point the difficulty, when you add in winter weather, will be too much to get all players around the course twice in limited daylight. Even if they put in shorter tees all that does is make people complain that "we went all the way to that course and didn't get to play the Pro tees..."

Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
        Remain ye men of faculty complete,
        Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
        Attending to our noble bond and contract?
        Or does here stand the last remaining man
        To give a fig for rules and order yet,
        No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
        Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
        I値l not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Fingers View Post
          Once again, if it is longer/harder than Milo, no matter how much fun it is to play casually, it probably won't work for TDG. Even though we do draw some of the 1000 rated players, the players in TDG span the gamut of skill levels. So I try to not keep it limited to just long and/or hard courses. I am sure that Blue Lake will be a great course to play, but at some point the difficulty, when you add in winter weather, will be too much to get all players around the course twice in limited daylight. Even if they put in shorter tees all that does is make people complain that "we went all the way to that course and didn't get to play the Pro tees..."

I was joking.
          PDGA# 49616
          Stumptown# 353

Comment

Originally posted by jdinteg View Post
            I was joking.
            This site has those little emoticons you can use to let us know that you are blowing smoke my ass...

You managed to use one in your last post just fine. Try to mix one in the next time you are yanking my chain please.

UPDATE:
            I have heard people this last weekend that are not in favor of the NCAA type tournament finish format. We may have to hash the finals format out at the captains meeting.

Last edited by Sausage Fingers; July 25th, 2011, 04:24 PM. Reason: I gots NFL on the brain today...

Comment

This site has those little emoticons you can use to let us know that you are blowing smoke my ass...

You managed to use one in your last post just fine. Try to mix one in the next time you are yanking my chain please.

UPDATE:
              I have heard people this last weekend that are not in favor of the NCAA type tournament finish format. We may have to hash the finals format out at the owners meeting.

, ,
              PDGA# 49616
              Stumptown# 353

Comment

UPDATE:
                I have heard people this last weekend that are not in favor of the NCAA type tournament finish format. We may have to hash the finals format out at the owners meeting.

i am leaning towards the bracket type of finish, as it would at least give some teams a reason to come out....besides the reason of just hukkin plastic,quaffers,food,adult bev's with friends

"In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NWDiscer View Post
                  i am leaning towards the bracket type of finish, as it would at least give some teams a reason to come out....besides the reason of just hukkin plastic,quaffers,food,adult bev's with friends

And using the bracket system would mean fewer teams would have to play late into the season and only the top two teams would have to play back to back days on the final weekend. Of course as many or as few teams could still come out and play...

But there are some big downsides to this format.

Comment

Care to mention any of them (downsides of bracket format)?

Comment

Originally posted by TreeLove View Post
                      Care to mention any of them (downsides of bracket format)?
                      Well let's see...if all I needed to do was make the top 8 teams in my division (day) to make the bracket tournament then I could have my players win a couple matches and then bag the hell out their ratings for the rest of the season so that when the bracket matches came around they could kick some serious arse.

Especially if you could manage to get the 8th seed. You would then match up against the team with the best finish in the division, and the correspondingly higher ratings for all of their players.

Now I am not saying anyone would do this, but with the final chance at winning the whole league riding NOT on the regular season, but only on the the last three weekends of play there could be some shenanigans...just sayin'

I believe that the NCAA type playoff works only when the play is straight up and not handicapped. But I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

But if this hadn't occurred to anyone else, maybe I just screwed the pooch by letting the cat out of the bag and damn if I can't work a third cliche into this sentence...

Comment

How about this idea: a player's TDG rating can never go down. Once established, if rounds shot are below rating, they are thrown out of the rating calculation. Too extreme?

Comment

Originally posted by TreeLove View Post
                          How about this idea: a player's TDG rating can never go down. Once established, if rounds shot are below rating, they are thrown out of the rating calculation. Too extreme?
                          You want to come up with the formula that accomplishes this feat of magic rating calculation?

If so then we could certainly throw that out there for the captains to decide...

Comment

You want to come up with the formula that accomplishes this feat of magic rating calculation?
                            Yes!

Comment

If so then we could certainly throw that out there for the captains to decide...

Here is one way to eliminate bagging. A players rating will go UP as normal. However, you can set a limit of... lets say 10 points for this example... on the lowest rating a person can get in relation to their current rating. For instance I am currently rated 966. If I tank a round, regardless of how poorly I play, the very lowest rated round I could score is 966-10=956. It would take quite a few weeks to drop your rating to a point where sandbagging would even be worthwhile.
                              "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Wise Elders:
                                How common is the sandbagging problem? I did not meet anyone guilty of it last season. Was there big money involved or some spectacular prize that was worth cheating to get? Will there be this year? I look forward to beating my past rating, learning from the experts, and maybe whooping on some players that schooled me last season. Not sure how sucking it up all season just to win the finals is much of an accomplishment when no money is on the line?
                                PDGA# 49616
                                Stumptown# 353

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X