X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OR Team DG: Oregon Team Disc Golf Championships

As we have only one regular season event left to our season, I thought that it might be a good time to make sure everybody knows the new format of the Championships this year. Last year I got lots of complaints about how there wasn't enough disc golf in the championships to really decide a true champion.

Well there's gonna be a lot of disc golf in this year's championships!

Last year we used a modified version of our regular match format and got the whole deal done in one day. This year I have expanded that to a 2-day event. This will be the only 2-day event in OTDG this year. We will be playing the regular format for each match: 1 on Saturday 2/26 and 1 on Sunday 2/27.

SATURDAY 2/26 - CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIPS

Milo West Course AM/East Course PM
    Saturday Conference plays off for final standings
    North Division Vs South Division
    N1 Vs S1
    N2 Vs S2
    N3 Vs S3
    N4 Vs S4
    N5 Vs S5
    This will give us a ranking of the 10 Saturday Teams SAT1 through SAT10

Milo East Course AM/West Course PM
    Sunday Conference plays off for final standings
    East Division Vs West Division
    E1 Vs W1
    E2 Vs W2
    E3 Vs W3
    E4 Vs W4
    E5 Vs W5
    This will give us a ranking of the 10 Sunday Teams SUN1 through SUN10

SUNDAY 2/27 - OTDG CHAMPIONSHIPS

Milo West Course AM/East Course PM
    Top Half plays off for final standings
    Saturday Vs Sunday
    SAT1 Vs SUN1
    SAT2 Vs SUN2
    SAT3 Vs SUN3
    SAT4 Vs SUN4
    SAT5 Vs SUN5

Milo East Course AM/West Course PM
    Bottom Half plays off for final standings
    Saturday Vs Sunday
    SAT6 Vs SUN6
    SAT7 Vs SUN7
    SAT8 Vs SUN8
    SAT9 Vs SUN9
    SAT10 Vs SUN10

This will give us the final ranking of the 20 OTDG Teams for 2010-2011!

So the bottom line is each team will need to field players for both days to get the best ranking possible. And since we will already be full up for next year if all teams return next year, I will be looking at attendance at the finals as desire to play next year. So if your entire team bails on a match in the finals you will not be guaranteed a spot in next year's OTDG.

Now. After we play this year's Championship, I will be looking for any suggestions on what we can do to make OTDG better for next year. Not the least of which is your opinion on this year's Championship format. Is 4 rounds of golf in two days too much for a casual series finale?

Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
    Remain ye men of faculty complete,
    Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
    Attending to our noble bond and contract?
    Or does here stand the last remaining man
    To give a fig for rules and order yet,
    No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
    Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
    I値l not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

There should be wild cards.
    Proud member #20 of STUMPTOWN Disc Golf and the PDGA #30488
    Damn The Weak Side!!!!!!

Comment

A suggestion at least

Originally posted by Darr View Post
      There should be wild cards.
      OK, let's hear how you think we should use Wild Cards...

Comment

When you say Milo East and West.. the BSF courses!?

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Fingers View Post
          Now. After we play this year's Championship, I will be looking for any suggestions on what we can do to make OTDG better for next year. Not the least of which is your opinion on this year's Championship format. Is 4 rounds of golf in two days too much for a casual series finale?
          Milo/4 rounds/2 days............for OLD guys? Yes!

Bob

Comment

Keep em coming

Originally posted by "Over the Hill" Bob View Post
            Milo/4 rounds/2 days............for OLD guys? Yes!

Bob
            Duly noted. Thanks for voicing your opinion.

Originally posted by Wes Hansen View Post
            When you say Milo East and West.. the BSF courses!?
            We are hoping to use the full course that weekend to help make everything go smoothly, but haven't gotten a final word on this yet. If not, then we will be using the east/west layouts like we did last month.

Comment

Will you give us nice weather that weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by jevon View Post
                Will you give us nice weather that weekend?
                Sure, just like I dialed it in perfectly for our North Bonneville events!

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Fingers View Post
                  OK, let's hear how you think we should use Wild Cards...

I was thinking next season as we would need 6 divisions.
                  Just like in MLB.

By 1994, further expansion was making it very difficult for a team to make the postseason. Major League baseball went through a re-alignment, expanding to three divisions (East, Central, West) in each league. However, only allowing divisional winners in the postseason would make an odd number of teams in each league, three. To rectify the odd number of teams, the league added wild-cards to each league, imitating the original post-merger NFL system. This system was in place for 1994, but the players' strike canceled the postseason. The system was realized on the field in 1995. The wild card team would be the team with the best record in each league of all the teams that did not win their division. Splitting the leagues into 3 divisions, plus the addition of a wild card team, doubled the postseason contenders in each league from two to four, and from four to eight teams overall. The additional teams meant another elimination round was necessary. This new round would become the new first round of the postseason, the best-of-five, Division Series. This term had first been used for the extra round required in 1981 due to the "split-season" scheduling anomaly following the mid-season players' strike. The three-tiered tournament is the system currently in use. In the event that the wild card team is from the same division as the best divisional champion, the 2nd best divisional champ plays the wild card team and the top divisional champ plays the bottom divisional champ.
                  Proud member #20 of STUMPTOWN Disc Golf and the PDGA #30488
                  Damn The Weak Side!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Darr View Post
                    I was thinking next season as we would need 6 divisions.
                    Just like in MLB.
                    Yeah we have to be talking about next season, since this season is already set. But my two questions are how do you split 10 teams into 3 divisions and are you talking about adding an extra week to the Championships?

We already have 9 events played for match points along with a Prelim event and a Championship weekend of play. This is probably the max for me. And since every single team has someone to play in the Championships, their argument of more teams making it harder to make the post season doesn't hold water.

Really, the regular season is just to figure out who gets to play for 1st. You want to win the whole thing? First you win your Division. And then you win your Conference on the first day's competition of Championship Weekend. And THEN beat the other Conference Champion for The Title. If you take care of business during the season you have your shot at the title. If you slack it during the regular season should you be able to magically come from behind for the win? Not in a single weekend Championship...

But if you can come up with a specific to TDG solution that includes a Wild Card format then I'd still be willing to give it a listen.

Comment

Quaffers..

I am expecting the Saturday TDs to bring lots of quaffer material too!
                      It will be like a buffet of alcoholic bliss..

Comment

Add two teams to each side and then you have 3 divisions of 4 teams each. I heard that Troy might want to play next year.
                        的 believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, that痴 in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, I値l know I知 a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? I知 not sure, but it痴 possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.
                        ~Annika Srenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                          Add two teams to each side and then you have 3 divisions of 4 teams each. I heard that Troy might want to play next year.
                          I will bet that at least one team (probably from Saturday) will not return next year. Besides, there is not enough room on an 18 hole course for twelve teams.

This brings up a question for you Jordan:

If one of the current Sunday teams does not return next year does that mean that no Sunday team needs to be relegated to Saturday?

I am upset that either D&D or Vapor Trails will be sent to the "minors". Both those teams have been with us for many years and I will miss playing (and seeing) long-time friends.

Comment

Looks like each team only plays one round each day, am I missing something? I keep seeing 4rounds of golf for the finals posted.

Comment

2 rounds each day. Each day is a normal TDG match-up.
                              的 believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, that痴 in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, I値l know I知 a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? I知 not sure, but it痴 possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.
                              ~Annika Srenstam

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X